Investing.

jacko13

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey dudes,

Im in a position now where im earning a bit of coin, and was talking to my brothers mate last night about investment.

He's 20, has bought himself a house, and is planning on buying into commercial property once he finalizes tenants for his house.
He worked pretty hard for the last few years in his apprenticeship, working some 60hr weeks etc to get money to break into the field.

So, to anyone who is in the know, what sort of investments balance out for the best returns against risk?

I figure ill have a good chunk of money left over at the end of next year, and if i find the right spot, can see myself splitting it and investing some.

Any one got some grand ideas?

Cheers

Propagate

Likes Dirt
Google "somersoft forum", pull up a comfy chair and start reading....tons of very successful investors on there and lots of newbies posing similar questions.

hach_bee

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I also love Scott Pape (you might have heard of him as the barefoot investor) as a gen y'er myself!

Registered Nutcase

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Research x1000000000. Anyone can make money, all you need is to do your own detictive work. You don't need anything other than a good understanding of what your going into and learn about the marco economics as they will generally dictate most investments. for example the debt crisis in america, europe and aisa(soon) should carry a lot of weight in your decisions

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
I have a pretty good idea you may like to invest in, it's going to make stupid coin.

We take this piece of plastic, chuck a shiny object on it, tell people it will balance them or some bullshit and you watch the idiots snap it up.

You can buy in to the deal for....., how much have you got again?

taitt

Likes Dirt
Research x1000000000. Anyone can make money, all you need is to do your own detictive work. You don't need anything other than a good understanding of what your going into and learn about the marco economics as they will generally dictate most investments. for example the debt crisis in america, europe and aisa(soon) should carry a lot of weight in your decisions
Asian debt crisis? Your sources/reasoning?

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
EU economic crisis, Chinese export market slowing down.

That information is everywhere, you need to start reading the business section of news papers, read stuff like WSJ, Bulletin, Economist, etc. Watching Lateline Business when it is back again is also really advisable to get the daily basic ebbs and flows as well.

If you're not willing/don't have the time to learn how markets work and what they are doing then it may be worth simply seeing a financial adviser and paying him/her for their knowledge.

OF course there is always my business offer.

taitt

Likes Dirt
Don't give two shits about investing. Too much time spent on East Asia Forum has led to a lack of knowledge. Good evening Economist.

Registered Nutcase

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Asian debt crisis? Your sources/reasoning?
As johnny said, China is an exporter and what happens when us and europe stop having money to buy things?This is what is going to hurt china(china has a huge debt aswell, and unfortunatly owns over a trillion dollers in US bonds) and kill us(rest of the economy is going poorly except for mining).

BlakZ

Likes Dirt
Looking at moving into property in the next few years (@22 now). Property suits me best but other investment vehicles suit others.

Just start reading. Read forums. Buy Books. Research is ongoing and the world is changing. Understand the mechanisms for success and how people make bad decisions and lose.

Keep us rotorburners updated on what you decide OP!

jacko13

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So much info and not enough time!

I'd say its something ill have to consider later on. Canada is more important.

But i see it as a good oppourtunity.
Andorra sounds rad.

Ben-e

Captain Critter!
Currently reading 'The Intelligent Investor' (which is not me!)

Pretty lengthy guide on investing, a bit of a bible when it comes to the share market.

Like the others have mentioned, diversify your portfolio.. real estate, shares, etc..

mars mtb

Likes Dirt
I'm not an expert but just rotorburner talking to a rotorburner on commonsense stuff told to me by many over my years.

Depends on what level of return you want. I know you don't want to blow your hard earned but the request sounds a bit like "tell me the secret", there is no secret other than research research research, preparation preparation preparation, and trust no one when it comes to coin. It does funny things to people and if you measure others by your standards you'll be disappointed, just always keep an eye open when it comes to coin.

I have made and lost coin, probably because I didn't do enough research so today I am even. Mates that put heaps of effort into it get the returns.

Now your investment needs to be based on your level of risk you are willing to accept.

If you want fast returns that means you are willing to blow it all or most of it then you can go higher risk investments, shares, options, bonds etc. if you are risk adverse and don't want to lose coin at any cost, then blue chip shares or inner city land or property or investments centered around property in growth areas within Australia.

Don't be in a hurry, if the money is burning your pocket, leave it in the bank until you are certain and learn from guys like your brother. There is also a good book by a guy named John Fitzgerald, 7 steps to wealth, worth a read just to start learning stuff. You can never know too much.

stackcheddar

Likes Bikes
A few peices of advice I was told:

If you don't understand it, don't touch it. Unless you're prepared to lose money - which is the quickest and probably the best way to understanding it.

Look at you situation in life. How old are you? How secure is your day job? Do you have any dependants? Ultimately this plays a role in your tolerance for risk.

For example if I were a young and had a whole lifetime of earning potential, I would put my coin in the riskier asset classes - small cap stocks, fx, bitcoins, bike part trading on Rotorburn or even starting up a business in your spare time (if you have any). Sure you can lose it all but you can earn it back.

On the other hand, if I were a bit older and had a family, I'd probably be looking at safer assets diversified across mutual funds, term deposits, blue chip stocks or just holding cash in my bank account.

Determine what your goals are and have a plan b if it all goes wrong.

If you have coin spilling everywhere, give it to me and I may (or may not) give you a return.

This does not constitute investment advice.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk