iPhone 3gs Jailbreaking

muskimo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
find an asian shop (you know the phone shops that have all the little phone trinkets and crap) usally do the xbox and ps3 mods, they will fix it for $100 well that always seems to be the going rate.

maybe i should learn, i would make a lot of money

ben_rides_a_bike

Likes Bikes and Dirt
find an asian shop (you know the phone shops that have all the little phone trinkets and crap) usally do the xbox and ps3 mods, they will fix it for $100 well that always seems to be the going rate.

maybe i should learn, i would make a lot of money
Hmm yeh but there also fair dodgy sometimes to, for example, a mates mate had his ps3 stolen of him when i buy was going to mod it, he took it and ran:D

How much would a retailer shop charge?

muskimo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
retail shop will charge you a small fortune. almost what the phone is worth.

our office lady just got hers done in dandenong $100 all sorted with in a day

ben_rides_a_bike

Likes Bikes and Dirt
retail shop will charge you a small fortune. almost what the phone is worth.

our office lady just got hers done in dandenong $100 all sorted with in a day
Hmm alright, ill look into it then, so they are genuine iphone screens? just smaller shops doing it for less?

muskimo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
everything is legit, its just that like most things the major companies will charge though their ass to cover their costs of retail shops, transportation, fixing the unit, product stock, paperwork, phone calls etc the list is very long

ben_rides_a_bike

Likes Bikes and Dirt
everything is legit, its just that like most things the major companies will charge though their ass to cover their costs of retail shops, transportation, fixing the unit, product stock, paperwork, phone calls etc the list is very long
Ohk cool, thanks man.

On a side note, iPhones arnt really a though phone.

muskimo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
no they are not, thats why a gel cover and a screen protector helps a lot, but doesnt stop all drops.

also main problem is the fantastic screen, its biggest downfall is its biggest selling point. a hard touch screen, (more brittle more prone to break)

the i phone destroyer that is about to be released soon is by dell, using the amazing google android OS, it uses a soft touch, touch screen. much much less prone to breakage, and still easy and clearer than the iphone to use

ben_rides_a_bike

Likes Bikes and Dirt
no they are not, thats why a gel cover and a screen protector helps a lot, but doesnt stop all drops.

also main problem is the fantastic screen, its biggest downfall is its biggest selling point. a hard touch screen, (more brittle more prone to break)

the i phone destroyer that is about to be released soon is by dell, using the amazing google android OS, it uses a soft touch, touch screen. much much less prone to breakage, and still easy and clearer than the iphone to use
Yeah i read about it, looks and sounds awesome!

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
I saw an ad at uni advertising screen repairs to iPhone 3G for $60 and 3GS for $80.

If you're cool commuting out to Burwood that is (assuming 'gizzy' is in Victoria).

sam705

Likes Dirt
I've dropped mine numurous times and it has come out fine.
I have a 'Barely There' case by CaseMate, clear in colour and it is fantastic. Doesn't exactly offer full protection like a gel case but i find those to look dicky and bulky.
I've dropped it onto tiles before and luckily i only cracked the case. Yeah, $40 per case is a touch dear, but that happened 4 months ago now and that cracked case is still living!

muskimo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
thats pretty much what i was getting at.
if you spend a little coin every now and then, its all good to keep your phone safe

notso

Likes Dirt
Being on my 4th screen in 12 months (i get drunk often) I can vouch for ebay and Youtube!

You can buy the screen off ebay for $10 from HK or $30 from Australia. Delivery times differ obviously.
Both the screens come with the tools and sticky attachments to replace it yourself.

Youtube has a full run down on how to do it with step by step instructions. All you need is a hairdryer to heat the sticky things that connect the screen to the touch screen and they separate. But I digress...... Ebay and Youtube FTW

If I can do it anyone can. I always have a spare screen lying around now just in case.

Cheers,
Ben

ben_rides_a_bike

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks for that, bought my kit the other day, gunna see how it goes.

New topic though, Iphone jailbreaking..

So with the latest update, is it possible to Jailbreak your phone and get all the cool looks ect..

Kinda looks boring and i want more out of it, any Jailbreak freaks out there that can teach me about it all?

Cheers

Kezza dawG

Likes Dirt
im a lil bit of a jailbreak nerd
um mine is on 3.1.3 firmware and jailbroken with www.spiritjb.com
im not sure if you can do it with the newest firmware.
just try it
if it doesn't work just restore the phone

is there anything in particular you want to be able to do on it?

sockman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
iOS 4 can be hacked. But it depends on the boot rom. Plenty of info on redmond pie or whatever that website is called.