Ipod Battery replacement

moorey

call me Mia
Anyone done it themselves? The googles say it possible to to at home, but not a job for the faint hearted.
Found my minty old 160g gen 6 classic ipod in a cleanup yesterday. Thought I'd lost it in numerous house moves 10 years ago. Naturally, battery is fingered, works when plugged in, but won't hold charge. Oddly, it was 95% full of music and tv shows when I lost it, but is totally empty now. Assuming I re-sync it, is it doomed to just sit in a cradle to use it without spending big bucks on a proper replacement battery?

Classic Ipods look like this, for all you touch screen rubes.
ipod.jpg

sawnoff666

Likes Dirt
I've replaced lots of screens and batteries in iPhones and never had a problem so an iPod battery should be not to hard. There should be step by step guides on you tube and if you follow them exactly you'll fix it pretty easy. Just make sure you have the right tools and somewhere the put all the screws when you pull them out because they are tiny and easy to lose.

moorey

call me Mia
I've replaced lots of screens and batteries in iPhones and never had a problem so an iPod battery should be not to hard. There should be step by step guides on you tube and if you follow them exactly you'll fix it pretty easy. Just make sure you have the right tools and somewhere the put all the screws when you pull them out because they are tiny and easy to lose.
Tools? Sorted. Sharp kitchen knife doubling up to jimmy it open and undo screws?

Last edited:

willsy01

Eats Squid
FYI, those things sell on eBay for crazy money.

An SSD is effectively a big flash drive. There's no moving parts hence allowing them to use less power and greatly drop read/write times. If the existing one is OK, leave it alone.

moorey

call me Mia
FYI, those things sell on eBay for crazy money.

An SSD is effectively a big flash drive. There's no moving parts hence allowing them to use less power and greatly drop read/write times. If the existing one is OK, leave it alone.
Cheers, yes I believe the hipsters want them now that Walkmans are no longer cool...or are now cool...or something. Battery has recovered a little. Was on charge all day, has only lost 10% in last 2 hours, though I'm not playing music. Wouldn't last long in use.

really? tell us more
You monster :pout:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
The ipod classic is a God like piece of essential household equipment. Can't believe apple stopped making them! Theynshould be forced by law to start making them again.

Travis22

Likes Dirt
I replaced the battery in my Ipod (approx 2003-4 model Ipod 60 or 80Gig iirc), bought a replacement battery off ebay which came with the basic plastic tools to open the Ipod and followed the general instructions you'll find online. Very easy job, still works perfect today and the ebay battery lasts longer then the original.

Travis.