Iraq; Opponents to the war, correct again. Turkey will invade #222

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Another important factor to consider when discussing the Iraq debacle is -as johnny mentioned in his first post- the proliferation of terrorism. The invasion of Iraq and subsequent civil war have become a rally cry for terrorists across the globe. FACT: The London and Madrid bombings which together killed almost 250 people would NOT have occurred without the Iraq war. The British-born suicide bombers responsible for the explosions on the 7th July last year made it quite clear beforehand that their actions were in response to Britain's involvement in the war and

Certainly, Islamic terrorism existed prior to the US invasion however it was restricted to extremist groups such as Al Qaedda and Jemaah Islamiyah. The Iraq invasion led to a sense of injustice against the Islamic faith amongst Muslims across the board. As a result over 50 people have died in the UK alone, divisions between whole communities have been widened and most importantly, I can't buy Duty-Free whisky if I've got a connecting flight in the UK as liquids are banned from hand luggage! ;)

Customjimmy

Likes Dirt
Another important factor to consider when discussing the Iraq debacle is -as johnny mentioned in his first post- the proliferation of terrorism. The invasion of Iraq and subsequent civil war have become a rally cry for terrorists across the globe. FACT: The London and Madrid bombings which together killed almost 250 people would NOT have occurred without the Iraq war. The British-born suicide bombers responsible for the explosions on the 7th July last year made it quite clear beforehand that their actions were in response to Britain's involvement in the war and

Certainly, Islamic terrorism existed prior to the US invasion however it was restricted to extremist groups such as Al Qaedda and Jemaah Islamiyah. The Iraq invasion led to a sense of injustice against the Islamic faith amongst Muslims across the board. As a result over 50 people have died in the UK alone, divisions between whole communities have been widened and most importantly, I can't buy Duty-Free whisky if I've got a connecting flight in the UK as liquids are banned from hand luggage! ;)

Ooh yeah, it must be remembered that there hasn't been a terrorist attack on aussie soil since the hilton bombings. The bali bombings were a direct result of teaming with the gangster yanks. And the tampa! I've drunk in enough bars to know that you nod and smile to the psychos and they leave you alone. Now every fuckwit fundamentalist thinks they're on the same side! It used to be good being an aussie overseas. time for stoppy the drinky and toddle off to bed.

brooko

Likes Bikes
Meh, I stand by my pre-invasion attitude... What would be better? Less dead Americans? Less overthrowing of the genocidal dictatorship?

Fuck - it's messy... you didn't expect that? Pull your head out of the sand dammit,
Totally agree with you ! what is the civilised world to sit around and watch dictaters and there sons , rape, torture, rip off , and rule innocent citizens.Not saying i fully agree with the method, but good on the u.s for having the balls to do something about these type of people and regimes, just hope they dont drop the ball on iran and north korea, these are very dangerous countrys with brainwashed citizens, wish more of the superpowers would come on board to back the u.s, the world would be come a much safer place! Also real random figures 50.000 to 650.000 you dont think the typical press there are just fabricating numbers, dont beleive everything you read in the press!

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
So, what of the CIA saying that the invasion has promoted terrorism?

What of the military failures?

What of the collapsing government?

If this does not constitute a failure of policy, what, Toodles and Brooko, would for you?

NCR600

Likes Dirt
Did you support the invasion? Why?
Before it happened, No. I just KNEW it was wrong from all the evidence I had before me, and that was only as much as what the Governments involved were prepared to drip feed to the media. Even with that sort of obfuscation it still stunk. Once the wheels were in motion I claimed to support it, because no amount of protest was going to stop the invasion, and I figured the best thing anyone could do was to accept the reality, and push to get it done and done properly and to avoid anothe Vietnam style scenario. Unfortunately no-one seems to have learned a thing from that debacle
Do you still support the invasion? Why?
No. My initial support was not for the concept of the invasion, rather than support for a distasteful job done well. 3000 dead Americans and god knows how many civilians is not a job done well. My ex's husband is a US Marine and has been on two tours, once as a soldier, and once as a "contractor" which is a fancy way to say he was a conscript. he was only allowed to leave the USMC when he was due, on proviso he went back to Iraq as a "civillian" instructor. My support was for the people wh actually have to fight the thing, not the politics behind it.
What do you think was done right?
Very little
What do you think was done wrong?
War, although horrific can sometimes be justified. WW1 and WW2 both are fairly obvious examples of justifiable war. I just can't find any moral justification for a full scale invasion of Iraq. Tactically, I don't really know, but I suspect the Americans have done wrong what they always do wrong, and did wrong in Vietnam. It's only hearsay on my part because I'm not or never have been a soldier, let alone fought in Vietnam or Iraq. My uncle, a Vietnam Veteran, who went to Vietnam twice, once with the Australian Army, and once on exchange with the Americans sums it up " The Americans have the most and best equipment, they also have the worst and least discipline. Add to that the mob handed "here we are come out and fight" attitude is a recipe for lots of killing, just not of the enemy" (ok I'm paraphrasing, but I've heard him and lots of other Viet Vets say similar things. It's probably not as simple as that in reality, but it's the best evidence I have, not having been there myself)
Where to from here?
Hell.

Last edited:
This is not what I started the thread for. What I want to know is:

Where to from here?
QUOTE]

Did you support the invasion? Why? Yes & No
No, wrong pretext ... although WMD was/is a concern ... They should have applied more pressure, and should have known that the initial War would be quick but their track record in winning hearts and minds is shite. Similarly if the UN wasn't a joke, then non violent negotiations would have been more effective, and post military conflict resources would have been greater.

Yes: fundamental values. It is wrong for a leader, to kill and murder, install puppet hiearchy and keep his people oppressed ... before you latch on to this keep reading. In a Simplistic view, Saddam, Hitler ... same same but different

Do you still support the invasion? Why? No, on moral grounds.

But the Occupation has to continue ... with increased and multi-lateral support ... buggin out is stupid ... even more stupid then the original decision to go in. Domino theory, in this instance is evident. Both Hamas and Hezbollah have used the "inevitable" defeat of the US as a further call to arms and has embolden Iran. [Domino Theory ironically can be used against the occupation as well]

This is not Vietnam or Afganistan (vs Soviets)... this isn't about fighting for your homeland. Remember, there are two lots of Foreigners in Iraq ... the Insurgents and the Coalition ... take away the US led Coalition for a minute ... The Sunni Insurgents are insitgating the fighting with tit for tat retaliation by the Shiites ... If they (both sects of Islam) can't live in harmony and unite against a common foe ... then whats the cause that Islamic Fundamentalists are calling on to utilise Terrorism ?? Why should US foreign policy re Israel change, when Muslim is killing Muslim.

I can sympathise with Hamas and the Palestinians [ie, Terrorism in this instance is the only weapon available in the struggle for Land] ... Hezbollah I don't understand ... but surely the mismash of causes and reasons used by Islamist Terrorists/Miltants against the West and Allies, is no justification or vindication for their tactics.

So ... we need to win ... both militarily and socially (hearts and minds)

What do you think was done right? Nothing Yet ... but they need to learn from their lessons ... they need more unity ... this is where the UN should fit in ... Terrorism and Sectarian Violence is wrong and the UN - as surrogate for the World - should stop it. [I understand Ethnocentrism]

- Underestimated and misjudged what was needed (manpower, resources, tactics),
- The combined forces were not multilateral enough (linking into resources again)
- They had the moral high ground with the "remove the Dictator" theme ... then threw is all out the window with the Abu Gh'raib, poor soldier discipline (killings, rapes etc etc) and poor moral leadership. How can you win hearts and minds, whilst raping the civilian population ??? Disgusting and Disappointing (where I get lost from a moral point of view)

Where to from here?"Stay the Course" ... get the Euro's/ Africans, Asians ... everybody ... this is a world wide struggle ... Terrorism, as a form of negotiation or political manipulation will not be condoned, accepted or tolerated.

I argue that the initial invasion was not a war on terror, but that the conflict and occupation have now morphed into the real "war on terror" [for lack of a better term]

Two items for you to consider:

1) Civilian pressure on their elected officials against the "war on terror" plays exactly into the hands of Terrorists ... this is their stated aim, paraphasing "...to inflict terror into the civilian population(s) so as to change public opinion and force changes to Government policy".

2) "I told you so", "...it ain't our problem [yet]" and anti-american arguments don't solve the problem.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Totally agree with you ! what is the civilised world to sit around and watch dictaters and there sons , rape, torture, rip off , and rule innocent citizens.
We seem to let a great deal of them do just that. Hell, General Pinochet -who was responsible for thousands of deaths under his US backed regime- was given a fond farewell by Margaret Thatcher just the other day! The list of dictatorships and repressive regimes that have been tolerated - and sometimes even supported- by the west is a long one indeed. To this day, ruthless bastards such as Robert Mugabe and the Military Junta currently in power in Burma are allowed to operate without the threat of military action.

Another important point is that whilst Dictatorships and absolute monarchies may be abhorrent to us in the west, it doesn't necessarily give us the right to try and impose democracy on countries that are not used to it..

Hamsta

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I think that terrorist organisations are like a sharks mouth, filled with razor sharp rows of teeth designed with the pupose of inflicting maximum damage to prey. If a tooth is lost, another moves into place.

I think a long and arduous civil war will erupt outright and political instability will remain. At a simplistic level, who would want to go to work each day with the gnawing thought that you are going to be assasinated or your family blown to bits?

Anyone read Alvin Toflers' Future Shock?. I think that Toflers' writings regarding terrorism are coming true.

Last edited:

Pete J

loves his dog
No, i am a pacifist.
War is pointless for all but those in charge who never have to set foot in battle. And for those who stand to gain something out of it.

No, it has only gotten more ridiculous with time.
Now the USA stands to gain a whole new generation of enemies and so called 'terrorists'. They just love making people hate them.

Well, not much in my opinion, although i am rather biased.

Probably everything after they stepped foot into Iraq.

Where to from here?
This is the hardest question, how on earth do you fix a problem of this magnitude?!

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight
Totally agree with you ! what is the civilised world to sit around and watch dictaters and there sons , rape, torture, rip off , and rule innocent citizens.Not saying i fully agree with the method, but good on the u.s for having the balls to do something about these type of people and regimes, just hope they dont drop the ball on iran and north korea, these are very dangerous countrys with brainwashed citizens, wish more of the superpowers would come on board to back the u.s, the world would be come a much safer place! Also real random figures 50.000 to 650.000 you dont think the typical press there are just fabricating numbers, dont beleive everything you read in the press!
Your custom title really suits you.

The war was fubar from the get-go, if you cant see that, then.... jeez....

Anyway,

I dont support the war, never have, and never will.

Considering the war itself was fundamentally flawed then i cant see that anything was done right, although our troops seemed to do a fair job of staying alive.

I think the only real way to begin to rectify this god awful mess is firstly for the governments to admit that the war was a massive mistake (that word seems somewhat fruitless considering the sheer magnitude of this f*^k up).
Then withdraw all offensive troops and amour from the country, but leave a contingent of peace keeping troops to ensure some form of stability can be maintained. The U.S, U.K and all other countries who took part in the invasion should then rebuild what they destroyed in a hopefully not so futile attempt at turning back the clock... beyond that, ive got no idea but one thing is for sure, the longer we (U.S, AUS etc) stay there, the harder it will be to resolve this disgusting display of "liberation".

toodles

Wheel size expert
I don't advocate that the US pull out, never have.

Liberation? Hang on, you're ignoring the reality of the situation.

there is CIVIL WAR in Iraq, what kind of liberation is that?

Also, the head of the invasion has been sacked, the Republicans have lost control of both houses and the Americans have lost control over the political process in Iraq.

No matter what you think of the idea of the invasion, the future of the country is dismal; failed government and civil war.

America has lost control and the country is spiralling into civil war. You call that a successful liberation Toodles?

Added to this is the very real possibility of another dictator taking over.
Again - what was the alternative? Do nothing?

The US is pretty well fucked in that regard. They do something they end up with a situation like you see now. They do nothing - the situation in Iraq is added to the list of "OMG!1! The US didn't do anything for X, Y and Z countries! But they're intervening now? I call conspiracy!"

It's a damned if you, damned if you don't situation. Meanwhile, the rest of the world sits there chewing their dinner watching the news going on about how the US has fucked the country up. LIKE IT WAS SO FUCKIN GOOD BEFOREHAND.

Turn back few pages and look at pre-invasion Iraq. Political rivals and their supporters are tortured and have their families killed. Ethnic minorities are denied access to public infrastructure. Arms inspectors are being refused entry to many facilities, if not the whole country. Iraq effectively skirts around trade sanctions through backdoor trading with, wouldn't you believe it - some of the countries who were most vocal in their disapproval of the invasion.

I'm not trying to say the situation in Iraq now is all peachy, shit it might be worse than it was beforehand. But the fact remains that somebody stood up and intervened in the country, brought a genocidal dictator to justice and still remains commited to the country's future. Meanwhile, countries around the world look at the current mess and instead of offering more support, they shake their heads and actually withdraw what little support the US had.

The idiots who protest that we should bring our troops home stun me. If there's a surefire way to guarantee future terrorism that would be it. 10 years from now and no matter who wins, we'll be facing either the current insurgents but with a strengthened power base or the current government now in control but with a hard memory of being deserted by the West when they needed our help the most.

Hamsta

Likes Bikes and Dirt

The US is pretty well fucked in that regard. They do something they end up with a situation like you see now. They do nothing - the situation in Iraq is added to the list of "OMG!1! The US didn't do anything for X, Y and Z countries! But they're intervening now? I call conspiracy!"

It's a damned if you, damned if you don't situation. Meanwhile, the rest of the world sits there chewing their dinner watching the news going on about how the US has fucked the country up. LIKE IT WAS SO FUCKIN GOOD BEFOREHAND.

Turn back few pages and look at pre-invasion Iraq. Political rivals and their supporters are tortured and have their families killed. Ethnic minorities are denied access to public infrastructure. Arms inspectors are being refused entry to many facilities, if not the whole country. Iraq effectively skirts around trade sanctions through backdoor trading with, wouldn't you believe it - some of the countries who were most vocal in their disapproval of the invasion.

I'm not trying to say the situation in Iraq now is all peachy, shit it might be worse than it was beforehand. But the fact remains that somebody stood up and intervened in the country, brought a genocidal dictator to justice and still remains commited to the country's future. Meanwhile, countries around the world look at the current mess and instead of offering more support, they shake their heads and actually withdraw what little support the US had.

The idiots who protest that we should bring our troops home stun me. If there's a surefire way to guarantee future terrorism that would be it. 10 years from now and no matter who wins, we'll be facing either the current insurgents but with a strengthened power base or the current government now in control but with a hard memory of being deserted by the West when they needed our help the most.
I agree, but I think that the terrorists don't give a fat frogs frenum regarding the consequences of their future activities, regardless of the allied occupation of Iraq.
How to instill fear in those who seem to know no fear? That to me is the situation that the 'war on terror' cannot and will not be able to retard nor overcome.

nizai

Likes Dirt
Yesterday in an email to a friend I stated that Bush's term motto will be remembered as "damned if you do, damned if you dont". Simply because of all the times theyve managed to back themselves into a corner leaving themselves with little or no option (and certainly no plan either!).

I also like to call it "Catch 22 Government".

N

Mr Peabody

Likes Dirt
This is not what I started the thread for. What I want to know is:

Where to from here?

[/QUOTE]

never supported the invasion as i dont think war is the long term solution, which certianly rings true now. Quite a few world leaders have done massive damage to their own countries and escaped without punishment. I still beleive the whole thing was about oil and George W Bush finishing it off for his father. The whole situation is a big hole now and the USA is just digging it deeper. Read there is no more sucide bombers then ever before, another stupid statistic created by the whole thing. Long term it needs the Iraqi people to really take control and direction of it.

lopes

Squid
Toodles: The situation is much worse now because the whole balance of the region has been upset by the intervention.
Who knows where the sunni/shia power plays will lead to now (possibly WW3 - the US opened that can of worms, with support from Howard and people like you it seems).

Saddam was a monster, but at least back then Iraq was basically secular - that is now a distant dream.

Even in USA there is a signifigant gap between its ideals and how democracy/capitalism works in practice - it was foolish to think they could impose it on another region when they cannot even get it right in their own country.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
No, there are many more than two alternatives to the issue. Secondly, why was Iraq more important than Sudan (many more people dying per month there than in Iraq pre-invasion) Burma, Zimbabwe, etc.? This is to imply that the invasion was not based on liberation; in fact, it was the non-existent WMD that was the pivotal public reason if I remember correctly....?

Yes, but this is a fate they have bought upon themselves. They could have chosen to be isolationist, yet instead they chose to become involved in Korea 1950, Vietnam in the 1960's, Somalia, Yugoslavia etc. Out of all of the US's military adventures since WW2, only Somalia was for actual humanitarian reasons. That is why at the first sign of trouble they ran, there was nothing in it for them so at the first sign of losses they pulled the plug. They stuck around in the other episodes because they were all for strategic advantage.

To think that the US or any other country, does things like this for any other reason than strategic advantage is a little naive.

With the understanding that this action was for strategic advantage rather than some altruistic "liberating" reasons, no they are not damned if they don't. If this was the case, why isn't the world crying out for the US to invade Iran, DPRK, Sudan, Burma, Zimbabwe, etc. Sure, there are voices that would like to see this happen, but the US is far from damned if they ignore them.

Sure, the country wasn't great to start with, but; Saddam and his violence was contained to the Sunni and Shia areas. The no fly zone over the north had protected the Kurds for 12 years, the largesse of Saddam's regime were a shadow of the pre-1991 days. Secondly, you disregard any information that says Iraq was better pre-war, yet you wholly and solely buy into all the stories of mass murder of his own people (such as Shia and Sunnis). If there is no real information coming in or out of the country, you cannot really believe one over the other.

Turn back few pages and look at pre-invasion Iraq. Political rivals and their supporters are tortured and have their families killed. Ethnic minorities are denied access to public infrastructure. Arms inspectors are being refused entry to many facilities, if not the whole country.
There is much more to the weapons inspection situation than I think you are aware. After 1991, the US was caught red handed putting spies in the inspection team, this was cheating on the US part, not Saddam's, why should he allow them to stay? Secondly, the inspection team which was directed by the US, not the UN as it should have been WAS NOT THROWN OUT of the country the second time, they withdrew because the US started Desert Fox and bombed Baghdad. It is a common fallacy that Saddam threw them out.
Iraq effectively skirts around trade sanctions through backdoor trading with, wouldn't you believe it - some of the countries who were most vocal in their disapproval of the invasion.
Australia was one of the countries helping Saddam skirt the sanctions, Australia was one of the countries supporting and involved in the invasion.

I'm not trying to say the situation in Iraq now is all peachy, shit it might be worse than it was beforehand. But the fact remains that somebody stood up and intervened in the country, brought a genocidal dictator to justice and still remains committed to the country's future.
Hahahaha, come on mate, you have to pay closer attention to what's going on! The US is SCRAMBLING to find a way out of there as quick as possible right now, what do you think the whole Iraq Study Group with Baker and Hamilton was? Have a good look and you'll see that the goal posts have shifted. At first, success/pull out was based on a democratic, secular government which had full sovereignty over Iraq. Now, success/pull out is only a government that can take over the management of security.

-Gone is the pivotal "democratic government" from all presidential and prime ministerial statements....it went about 6-8 weeks ago when the civil war started to ramp up.

-Gone is the idea of Iraq retaining full sovereignty, they cannot stop the partitioning of the country now.

-Gone is the idea of secularism, they know that it will have a strong theocratic bent no matter who runs the joint.

-Gone is the fully functioning civil society, they now say that all that needs to happen is that the government of the day can field their own army and police force.

The Yanks know that they cannot win a war against an organised, trained and funded guerilla force. In short, they are not there to see the job through; they are now scrambling to find a way out that will cost them the least. They are well aware that the fight is over and it's all about saving what prestige they can.
Meanwhile, countries around the world look at the current mess and instead of offering more support, they shake their heads and actually withdraw what little support the US had.
Looks to me that these other countries made the smarter strategic decision in the first place. Why should they a) have taken part in a risky venture that was only going to support American strategic interests and not their own? Why would anyone do that?! and B) help the US clean up a mess of their own making at great risk and no benefit to themselves? That would be even stupider than joining in a mission doomed for failure in the first place!

I agree. Unfortunately, the only strategy with any real chance of success is to put a further 200 000 troops on the ground.

Once again, I think the most important question, which Lopes has already raised, is; do you think saving the Iraqi people from a dictator (it pains me to even pretend that this was the pretence for the invasion) was worth destabilising the whole region, strengthening Iran/Ahmedinijad and pushing us closer to a cold war........along with creating another training ground for jihadists like Afghanistan was for the last 20 years?

Having Saddam on trial is a mere fly speck on the strategic map, it seriously means bugger all in the big scheme of things. Iraq is now in a worse state, the world is now in a worse state.

Those Iraqis had better bloody enjoy all that liberty we've given them after what it has cost both us and them!

bazza

look at me
i can't even begin to imagine how much all of this has cost as well.

what a waste. so much more could of been achieved through different means. iraq will never be a democractic country in my eyes. too much religion for one rebuilding country to handle.

i mean look at even a developed country like ireland (or even what is happening in Fiji). religous ( and/or different groups/sectors of the population) violence continued for many many many years and this was in a developed, democratic and very western.

my prediction is iraq will fall into disary, no countries will move in and take over but other countries in the region will gain control of the different areas of it. there will still be some centralisation to the country however nothing close to what the west would consider acceptable.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Not a huge amount over and above the level of violence itself.

It's Sunnis V. Shia's and dealing with past gripes. But I'd hazard a guess that it also has a lot to do with the command over resources/politics with many other regional players such as Iran, Saudi Arabia, Hezbollah, Syria, Pakistan and so on playing a large part in it. That then becomes a regional power issue other than local sectarian concerns. The Iranians will want the Shia to take power so they control Iraq, the Saudis will want the Sunni to take charge so they direct the politics etc.

Extremely complex and deeply rooted in culture/ethnicity I'd imagine. Was blatently obvious that this was going to happen from the start if you ask me.