Iron horse SGS DH Pro or New Craftworks?

atomik_mulisha

Likes Bikes
Gday, i'm looking into getting a new bike, iv got an 03 norco atomik at the moment, and sure its good for a bit of everything, but i wan't a dh bike and eventually a hardtail aswell. Anyway, im tossing up between an Iron horse sgs dh pro or one of the new single pivot craftworks dh bikes. The SGS retail for $4800, and the Crafty for 5700, but i can get a deal on it, and maybe knock a good 500 off.
Most of u probably know whats on the ironhorse, its all around good stuff with a sick frame. the crafty will carry 888r forks and a swinger 6 way, which i am told is pretty much a fifth element without the titamium spring, whereas the 4 way swinger on the SGS doesn't have the fifth element technology. Is this true? Or does it just lack 2 adjustements? I'm sure the 888 is a nice fork, but i'm just thinking the fork with its 35mm stanchions and all mite be overkill and be alittle heavy, they would have to beat boxxer races which come on the IH performance wise though im sure.
Frame wise i would have to say i like the SGS alot as it has most certainly been preoven whereas this is a completly new design from craftworks. Any opinions would be great. Should i post some pics? Thanks. josh.

jungle

Likes Bikes and Dirt
do you have any pics of the ironhorse sgs dh pro
apparently they are available now

do you know who sells them also

as i was looking at getting one
but can't find out any specs
or photos

IMO i would go the ironhorse
it's a grand cheaper for starters
think of what you could use a grand for

and like you said the craftworks design
still has to be proven

just my opinion

cheers

atomik_mulisha

Likes Bikes
Ok, heres the Ironhorse:

And The craftworks frame. Ignore the parts, except shock,:

As i said, i can get good 500 - 600$ off the crafty, so around $5150ish. i'm leaning more towards the ironhorse more though, but anyones opinion would be good?

atomik_mulisha

Likes Bikes
Anyone have any ideas? at all? Any other suggestions? giant dh comp possibly? Although i think they come with sherman sliders next year. I'm not sure what other nice dh bikes are around for about 5K, although i can always stretch the budjet people. ideas? Come on, this is my first thread, keep it alive. :)

stinkybastard

Likes Bikes
Definatly buying new, ive got a 03 santa cruz bullit that has about 30 hours riding on it for around $5000 (negotiable). Check the complete bike for sale section if interested. Its only a chain device away fro being a pretty decent dh machine.

Ghost

Likes Dirt
If you're not too keen on the Sherman's, your LBS will gladly switch them out for Boxxer's (or whatever else takes your fancy) when they build it up.

You'd be very happy on a Giant DH Comp. :p

Rik

logged out
Gregg said:
If you're not too keen on the Sherman's, your LBS will gladly switch them out for Boxxer's (or whatever else takes your fancy) when they build it up.
They will? That's pretty darn good service... I know most shops wouldn't want to be stuck with an expensive fork they may or may not sell in the next 5 years.

atomik_mulisha

Likes Bikes
Rik said:
Gregg said:
They will? That's pretty darn good service... I know most shops wouldn't want to be stuck with an expensive fork they may or may not sell in the next 5 years.
Yeh i doubt that they would swap them over for me. The scene down here is only small so they may have a hard time getting rid of them.

My local bike shop deals in craftworks, and i really want to buy a bike from him, because i know and ride with the owner and he always gives me good deals and service. I have no doubt he would give me atleast 10% off the new craftworks, maybe more since he his buying one himself, so craftworks may do him a deal. But i would have to say i would prefer the ironhorse, it would also be alittle cheaper. i just feel a little guilty because i know he loses alot of business because he can't afford to deal in the bigger brands.

but all that aside whats your opinion on the best bike people? is the 6 way swinger really that much better than the 4 way? Any comments on how the boxxer races perform?

Ghost

Likes Dirt
atomik_mulisha said:
Rik said:
Gregg said:
Yeh i doubt that they would swap them over for me. The scene down here is only small so they may have a hard time getting rid of them.
Hmm, in my experience most bike shops are willing to make changes when it comes to selling DH bikes due to the cost of 'em. As a consumer, you dictate the sale to a certain extent. They will do everything possible to make a sale, so don't go easy on them if they say it can't be done the first time. :p

If you have a mate who runs a store, I say go the Craftworks. You'll get it cheap and put yourself in a good spot for cheap service and future discounts. Moochy moochy!

Rik

logged out
In my experience, shops are somewhat reluctant to make changes to high-end bikes because of the relatively low margin made on them. Yes, they do cost a fair whack of cash, but unfortunately for the shops there isn't always much room to play around with component swaps.

dave

Likes Bikes
Off the topic a little, does anyone know the price of the Hollowpoint bikes. As they were not listed in the spoke(n). As for the bike choice, I have not seen or ridden the Crafty so I could not give a fair comment. But either way I am sure it will be a great bike. Make sure you post pics :)

Ghost

Likes Dirt
Rik said:
In my experience, shops are somewhat reluctant to make changes to high-end bikes because of the relatively low margin made on them. Yes, they do cost a fair whack of cash, but unfortunately for the shops there isn't always much room to play around with component swaps.
Well, I can only speak from the experience I and my mates have had. Stores are usually very willing when someone forks out $5000+ in my experience because they want those customers to come back time and time again. The riders who hand over a lot of money are the one's you want back in your store. :wink: