Iron Horse Yakuza Kumicho

sims_65

Likes Dirt
What do u think about the Iron Horse Yakuza Kumicho?
Any one ridden one, what does it feel like?

How does it compare with the kona stinky?

six9man

Likes Dirt
they are a fairly similar ride only subtle differences

but the kumicho's forks arnt exactly great.

edit: there was a thread on this a few weeks back about 3 pages long do a search

Roly

Likes Bikes and Dirt
not that i ride a dually, but i just went to Thredbo last week and used an Ironhorse Yakuza Kumicho. They seemed a lot heavier then stinkys i've seen, and i agree that the forks aren't favourites.

It was also in AMB mag and they gave it a really good run-down.
good luck :) !

the F.H.B

Likes Dirt
The forks are just pretty below average, need to have the air assist removed (your LBS should have already done this) cause it was blowing the seals!?
otherwise a great bike, but after less than a month on mine, it's time to upgrade the forks.

Squidly Didly

Has Been
Staff member
six9man said:
they are a fairly similar ride only subtle differences
What drugs are you smoking? The Stinky is a freeride (oh I hate that word) bike with a relatively high bb height, short top tube, and steep head angle. The IH is the complete opposite designed to run sag, and go downhill!

There's no better or worse as they both are designed for different applications. Oh, and they both weigh a farkin tonne!
Ralph said:
It was also in AMB mag and they gave it a really good run-down.
good luck :) !
Click here for the AMB review
Link curtesy of RawNRG

Last edited:

kalem

Likes Bikes and Dirt
the F.H.B said:
The forks are just pretty below average, need to have the air assist removed (your LBS should have already done this) cause it was blowing the seals!?
otherwise a great bike, but after less than a month on mine, it's time to upgrade the forks.
When you say air assist removed do you just mean release any pressure in the fork or taking out the top cap with the valve? Because swapping the top cap wouldn't really do anything...

the F.H.B

Likes Dirt
yeah i think so, i'd heard it was an issue and when i got mine the LBS said they had converted all theirs over, so...
sorry not to up to speed on the technical ins and outs of this one.
oh yeah and the yakusa is not at all freeride (ie northshore stuff), slack angles, long wheelbase and the turning circle of a bus. found i had to ride it aggresivly to get it through corners, but that could just be cause im a pretty crap rider with a steep angles cross country background ;)

Last edited:

Squidly Didly

Has Been
Staff member
sims_65 said:
i would have to be against u there (in a good way) because i believe that the 05 stinky has been pushed more towards downhill than freeride it has a smaller frame for better control on the downhill tracks! ;)
Dude, quit while you're behind.

Rik

logged out
sims_65 said:
i believe that the 05 stinky has been pushed more towards downhill than freeride
Umm, how? Why would Kona make their "freeride" bike a downhill bike, when they already sell "downhill" bikes (the Stab range).

Daver

Kung Fu Panda
sims_65 said:
i would have to be against u there (in a good way) because i believe that the 05 stinky has been pushed more towards downhill than freeride it has a smaller frame for better control on the downhill tracks! ;)
Dude, sit down before you hurt yourself.

roasted

Likes Bikes and Dirt
sims_65 said:

Hah!

and a short bike is REALLY stable at speed, isnt it? Tight angles allow for stability on steep, fast sections dont they?

sasser

Likes Dirt
SIMS
get your hands on the new amb(australian mountain bike) magazine, they just did a test on it and a few other low budget fr/dh rigs(some not so budget)

cheers'n'beers
nick

wombat

Lives in a hole
kalem said:
When you say air assist removed do you just mean release any pressure in the fork or taking out the top cap with the valve? Because swapping the top cap wouldn't really do anything...
The "fix" is a new top cap (without the air valve) and a firmer spring, to compensate for the lack of air assist. The kits that came from Norco also had a different top crown, although I'm 100% sure if that is related to the seal issue.

Would have been nicer though if the original design just worked in the first place....