Ironhorse single speed build project. - Santacruz Heckler

SMIIISH

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Quick update.

Put back in all of my little blue bolts etc. Yum. The frame came with some light weight plastic plugs which were pretty cool, but I'd rather the extra few grams in exchange for bling. No?
Also invested in some yummy Jetblack frame protectors. Clear so all is good. Can't even tell that they're on, but it saves that swingarm from being totally stripped! Worth while investment.
You can just see a bit of one in the photo below but you need a sharp eye to pick it.
Saving up some moneys for gearing. Fark it's expensive!

P9290831.jpg

P9290825.JPG

P9290830.JPG

Last edited:

SMIIISH

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Another quick update.

Something which has been bugging me for a while: Rotors.
I purchased the Jetblack Saw rotors before I invested in new brakes. When I recieved the Hygias, I felt like I had to get my money out of the Jetblack rotors despite the Hygias coming with their own set of rotors. So I had one of those 50/50 moments and decided that the Jetblacks looked nice. (Plus I couldn't be bothered doing the whole 12 bolts out, 12 back in deal.) ...and I've always wanted saw rotors so they stayed!
But it has still been bugging me...
That whole rotational mass thing. What if the Hygia rotors are lighter!?! Looks or weight? Tough call. Not to say that the Hygia rotors look bad, because they're rather fetching IMO.
So I let the scales do the talking. I was SURE that the Hygia rotors were lighter...

194g for the pair of Jetblacks. That's a cool 16g lighter than the Hygias per set. My mind has been put to rest! The Jetblack rotors stay.

PA040841.jpg

PA040844.jpg

choiboi

Likes Dirt
Just out curiousity, i wonder if the lesser surface area affects the braking performance?
Or is that offset by the better ventilation...:cool:

Loving this thread BTW. Keep it up!

U.D.O

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just out curiousity, i wonder if the lesser surface area affects the braking performance?
Or is that offset by the better ventilation...:cool:

Loving this thread BTW. Keep it up!
My mate ran some of the Jet Blacks on his DH bike for a bit, and apparently the limited braking surface effected the braking power dramatically. I'd guess they'd be alright for XC/AM use though. But yes there is a sacrifice.

Five Miles Out

Likes Dirt
My mate ran some of the Jet Blacks on his DH bike for a bit, and apparently the limited braking surface effected the braking power dramatically. I'd guess they'd be alright for XC/AM use though. But yes there is a sacrifice.
What do you think has more surface area? The Saws or the Light Weights?

SMIIISH

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What do you think has more surface area? The Saws or the Light Weights?

Yeah, I was going to get some of those super-light's that Jetblack do, but they cost twice as much as the saw rotors I purchased and at that point I was in budget build mode so I didn't get them. Darn!
The light-weight rotors are known pad chewers, especially in wet conditions since there is so much pressure over so little surface area. I'd imagine that the saw rotors are fairly good in comparison, but still not the best for performance/brake pad economy. For all I'm doing though, it should be ample. Nothing more than heavy XC.

You can actually see in the photos with the scale, the wear marks on the saw rotors to get a pretty good idea of surface area. The peak of the "blades" is perfectly flush with the top of the pad so I guess I have 100% surface area coverage. I could probably modify the caliper to sit lower on the adaptor, to contact that inner part of the rotor which would probably give me more surface area and probably more power but the more I move inwards on the rotor means the less rotational power I get anyway. So catch 22 hey! Best to leave it as it is.

I'm interested in going to the light-weight version but I'd want to sell my Saw rotors first. I'm really being tough on myself trying to clean the shit out of the garrage!
If anybody wants them I'm open to offers! Same too goes for the hygia brakes. I love them but I want to keep trying other brakes. It'd almost be sad since they are genuinely fantastic brakes, but there are so many products I'm bursting to try!

Last edited:

SMIIISH

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Devastation! Today I finally busted my chain breaker. It's been threatening to die on me for a long time and she's finally let go. So I splurged and baught myself a new one. Personally, it doesn't look as nice as the other one which had replaceable pins, nice rubber bits etc, but the new one is very similar. Annoyingly, the thread is slightly different between them so I can't even keep the old one as spares for the new one. *sigh*

The old one was "x-tools" which seemed to work nicely. Icetoolz is the new cat on the block. I have a few of their products now and am quite happy with them thus far. We use them in the workshop too and they seem to last, so win.

Oh! I've been spending up big on materials for a looming exhibition, so I've been digging into the heckler fund. Looks like she's going to be single speed for a while. So I've decided to get comfortable with the idea of her remaining single speed for some weeks. So I've put on a propper rear derailleur and an extra link so I can really load it up and ride hard. I'll try and get pictures tomorrow.

BUT the most exciting thing is my decision to go tubeless. Ghetto style. Cheap, a decided "upgrade" and it will keep me busy while having fun at the same time. I've never owned tubeless before so it'll be a new experience. Hopefully lighter too (but doubtful... who cares anyway?!)

Anybody trying to sell some super light BMX tubes? French valve... tricky things to get a hold of!

There's your problem...
PA060845.jpg

Out with the old!
PA060847.jpg

SMIIISH

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Tubeless anybody?

Another crazy night on ebay!

One step closer to ghetto tubeless. Super light BMX tubes with (most importantly) presta valves. So a claimed 126g on the packing, they should be around half that by the time I'm done with them as they will have a large amount of material removed from them... It'll all make sense later on. Don't fret.
And I got four of them for a cool $19.95 plus freight. Gotta love Paypal! Peace of mind too as I now have spares for if I stuff it up or if I want to re-do it or make repairs some time later on. Lovely.

PA120852.jpg

SMIIISH

Likes Bikes and Dirt
holy crap we have the same keyboard!! we're prectically brothers now!
It came in free with my free computer tower, which makes it all that much nicer to use! :cool:
I suppose there is a remote possibility. Maybe we should get some tests done and find out?

Are those clear glasses for e-warrior quests?
No.

A bit blunt lol! Nah, I don't even own any of those computer games. Any time to play computer games I could be working on a commission in my "studio" so I have no need. Sadly. Besides, I'm hopeless at those games!

They are my road cycling glasses which managed to find their way onto my desk at some point! Photochromatic UV lenses. Love them to bits! They weigh next to nothing and are even "crash proof"!
Sadly they won't be seeing much action for the next few weeks as I sold my sexy 2010 Merida 907 last night to make way for my 2011 Litespeed. Dura-Ace time! But not untill December some time. Dammit. Hurry up and come to Australia!

Five Miles Out

Likes Dirt
No.

A bit blunt lol! Nah, I don't even own any of those computer games. Any time to play computer games I could be working on a commission in my "studio" so I have no need. Sadly. Besides, I'm hopeless at those games!

They are my road cycling glasses which managed to find their way onto my desk at some point! Photochromatic UV lenses. Love them to bits! They weigh next to nothing and are even "crash proof"!
Sadly they won't be seeing much action for the next few weeks as I sold my sexy 2010 Merida 907 last night to make way for my 2011 Litespeed. Dura-Ace time! But not untill December some time. Dammit. Hurry up and come to Australia!
More bikes! Yay! (Not sarcastic) How the gearing choice going?

SMIIISH

Likes Bikes and Dirt
2011 Merida Scultura Evo 904!

More bikes! Yay! (Not sarcastic) How the gearing choice going?
Well I was going to wait untill December but I thought I'd buy a "cheap" and good bike to ride untill 2011 when I'll get my new roadie. I didn't like the idea of not having a roadie untill December or even through to March (depending on cashflow) so I went and bought myself a downgrade from my 2010 Merida Scultura 907.

So I went and got myself a new 2011 Merida Scultura 904 to see me into the new year as a temporary bike.
This year they've taken the moulds from the 2010 evo frames and included it in the lower spec 904 so I'm keen to see how it goes since I rode the previous years frame on the 907 and was blown away by it. I'm also interested to see how the new 105 goes compared to the 6700 Ultegra groupset. I was particularly impressed with the shifting performance of the front mech so I'm expecting it to be slightly less savage but I may be suprised (hopefully)!

I'm thinking of selling the wheelset though since I can get some HED's from work... Offers anybody?

It should be enough for what I'll be doing anyway since I've been hammered all year by bronchitis/other sicknesses, it'll be a good way to build myself back up for the new year.

As for the gearing choice on the cruz, it's a coin toss between the Dyna-sys or the new X0 or XX so I'll see what the computer says at work tomorrow!

An altogether tidy package!
PA150855.jpg

Last edited:

SMIIISH

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Chris King

I've been wildly busy lately at uni and have recieved a huge career opportunity so bikes were put on the back-burner for a while. This project is only slowly coming back to light since I have a bit more available time at hand. The great news is that being so darn busy means that you don't have a chance to blow cash on needless bling and waste... and then time frees up again and I start blowing it...

New Chris King headset.

I could have bought something lighter or more expensive but they are just so nice, strong, well made and come in blue! I was so impressed with my other one I decided to purchase a second!

Yet to be installed. This weight includes the star flanged nut as well so you know.
PB150873.jpg

SMIIISH

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have a deadline.

More parts have come and just in time too since things have almost been flat-lining recently.
But only on this project - (I have plans)! Don't worry, I'm aiming to have it done before Christmas so I can take her away on holidays up to Noosa.
New bits: Crank Brothers Egg Beater SL 2010 Steel spindle + body.
I've always wanted to own a set and try them out. People tend to have negative comments and experiences with Egg Beaters so I thought - I'll try them out and complain after I have a negative experience. So in the mean time I'll be searching for the positives. They're lighter than the current pedals! -(And look better too).

A nifty 261 grams according to my scale.
PC060934.jpg

Detail:
PC060936.jpg

SMIIISH

Likes Bikes and Dirt
:D want to see the santa-cruz in action, get some snaps for it being ridden my friend !!! ;)
I know! She still isn't finished. I've been so busy lately - this time of year hey!
Great news though. Ordered the groupset TODAY! So it will be at my place by Monday at the absolute latest... So that's everything for her. Finished when it all arrives.
BUT I've made it a Christmas present from me to me and promised myself not to look at it (let alone open it all up and build her up) untill Christmas morning! I thought it'd make my day a little special - just like old times! So I guess I'll be sitting on my hands for the next few days...

SMIIISH

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Win?

ebay.
Best 55c I've ever spent!
The only problem is that I've gone Sram on the groupset - but the Sram stay protector was in red and didn't match, so...
Oh, and free freight also. Boo-ya!

PC221083.jpg