DH IronHorse Sunday - First Birthday Update

jakey_trickster

Likes Bikes and Dirt
how do you like the 40s over the boxxers?
Ok - here's my thoughts...
The 2010 Boxxer teams were good forks, I really enjoyed them, they worked well and to be honest had little problems. After the first service they improved a lot. They were lighter than the 40's but that isn't really noticable.

The Fox 40's are amazing, I didn't ride them before getting them tuned by Bike Edge Wodonga, which is a fantastic shop, did amazing things to my bike. But after I got them back they felt sick, went to Thredbo with some mates and did 6 runs, they felt so good. With the Boxxers I flet I would have sore fingers and fore arms, but with the 40's I don't have that problem and found I could ride all day and not be effected.

They also go great in rough stuff, I found I can hit rock gardens at a higher speed with more confidence than when I had the Boxxers on, this may or may not be the case, it just feels like it. The only downside I have had with the 40's are that I don't corner as well, mainly becuase the front end of my bike it a little higher than before, I'm addapting. Other than that they are great, the direct mount stem option is fantastic, good addition to the fork, may I recomend TBC stems, they are great! They looks awesome and work well, not to mention different and lite.

As for jumping, I haven't done alot since I've had them, but what I have done I can't feel a difference.

So, over all the 40's are better, maybe not for everyone, but I like them.

Thanks, Jake.

nitrous to burn

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Nice looking bike man.
What are the 800s like in the rough stuff? Like clipped many trees etc? I'm interested in them cause I'm quite big. Any comment would be good.
Tom.

jakey_trickster

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks for the comments guys.
About the Bars, I ran them at 800mm for a while and found that some trees on my local tracks became a little close now and then, (If anyone is familiar with the Beechworth area, in particular the "Woolshed" area there is one section in that area where the trees are about 830mm apart, tight fit.) So I decided to cut them down to 780mm, then I turned two 10mm extensions for when I feel like using 800's again, such as at open tracks.

The feel of them at 800mm is great, but obviously height, build and personal preference comes into it. But the great thing about them is that they can be cut down like I said, I think that honestly Gravity 800's feel better as 780mm. I like them more than sunline 750mm, and Boo Bars 780mm, I have felt a couple different flat bars, and am not a big fan to say the least. The Gravity's have in my opinion fantastic rise and sweep.

They are the best bars I've ever had, and I'm not going anywhere else in the future as far as bars go. They are defiantly keepers.

Edit: Got some new brakes on the 16th May - New Code Mags, Will update photos some time.

Last edited:

jakey_trickster

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Update
Frame is now a year old
- 37t e13 chain ring
- Ti Fly Seat
- Thompson Seatpost
- Code Mag Brakes
- Continental Tires and tubes.

Last edited:

jakey_trickster

Likes Bikes and Dirt
How do those brakes go Jake? Im looking at new brakes for my new bike, how much were they etc?
Hey man, Those brakes are awesome, I'm really happy with them. Best brakes I've owned, much better than the 7's I had, and I like the leaver shape more than XT's / saints. The pad life is good and they haven't had any problems like fading out or needing a bleed, they just feel good all the time. I got them of Brent for $400 ish, I don't remember exactly, but it was a deal. If you can get them for that price your getting an awesome deal!

Nick53

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey Jake,
Pretty sure I saw you and your bike at Lithgow State Champs on the weekend. Looks so sweet. Did the Code Mag brakes recently come out? Can't see them on the Sram website. The closest thing on the website would be the Elixir CR Mag brakes.

jakey_trickster

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I had the pleasure of seeing this bike in the flesh yesterday.
Would look better if Jake didn't ride it like such a goon... :p
Haha, hence why there are no action shots Ty : )

Hey Jake,
Pretty sure I saw you and your bike at Lithgow State Champs on the weekend. Looks so sweet. Did the Code Mag brakes recently come out? Can't see them on the Sram website. The closest thing on the website would be the Elixir CR Mag brakes.
Hey Nick,
Yeah I was up there, was awesome fun, loved the track.
Those Codes have been out for a while, I got mine from a new demo, the original owner was a saint man.

Nick53

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey Nick,
Yeah I was up there, was awesome fun, loved the track.
Those Codes have been out for a while, I got mine from a new demo, the original owner was a saint man.
[/QUOTE]

Ahh I see. Yeah I have a feeling they were OEM on last years Specialized bikes, hence why there not on the Sram website. Apart from your bike the only bikes I've seen them on were Demo's.