Is 10kg too heavy for a roadie?

CP

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm looking into a new sub $2k road bike as a fill in for when the trails are wet (so a trainer bike) and potentially the odd city commute (so 25km each way, maybe once a week). If I'm loving, perhaps a West Head ride on the weekends.

I thought I'd be ok with this budget but it seems you have to spend over $4k to get anything sweet! The price you pay is either cheaper components, or a heavier bike.

So I'm torn between a 105 grouppo bike that's 10kg, or Tiagra bikes that are around 9.3kg. Any advice? Bikes in consideration, that are within $200 of each other are:

Giant Defy 1 (Tiagra)
Avanti Vivace (Tiagra)
Argon 18 Plutonium (105)

Christo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Go Lighter.

If, as in this case, the weight saving is not in the components, you'd have to upgrade the frame to save weight, if it's got cheaper/heavier components and it's lighter, then imagine how much cheaper it is to upgrade to a lighter bike.

CP

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ive said it a million times, second hand.
You'll be saying it another million times and it won't help. 2nd hand on a roadie is not an option. What you save in initial $, you'll probably spend in a proper shop fit and then replacing the parts that don't fit. I have longer legs and a shorter torso (proportionally speaking) and thus need a shorter than usual cockpit for a start.

I believe that fit is #1 for a road bike.

CP

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Go Lighter.

If, as in this case, the weight saving is not in the components, you'd have to upgrade the frame to save weight, if it's got cheaper/heavier components and it's lighter, then imagine how much cheaper it is to upgrade to a lighter bike.
Good point. It's got to be frame and/or wheels, both pricey parts to upgrade!

ronster44

Likes Dirt
Hi CP I was in the same boat as you a year ago and after looking at a few new bikes I got a second hand trek 1400 off Ebay it weights 9.8kgs has full 105 group.Great bike I`ve done 6000ks on it manly training rides after work,great in winter and with all the rain that we have had in Newcastle lately f##kin rain!!!!!! it has been hard to hit the trails. I say go for it you won`t look back except at the next xc race at all the people you pass.:):)

CP

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hehe cool. Yeah can't wait to get pedalling again. My current rides are on the wife's Konya (that's K-mart for Kona!) to the shops and back!

pi11wizard

Likes Dirt
The heavier the bike, the stronger it is going to make you. If it is only a training bike and you aren't planning on racing it, weight is pretty irrelevant.

My roadie is a 35 year old Alan which comes in at about 10.8 kg. I love it and since it is only a training bike, it does all I want.

On the subject of second hand, I have a mate that just got a Trek with full Dura-ace for 900 bucks :eek: It was a once in a life time deal, but it never hurts to look.

Binaural

Eats Squid
The heavier the bike, the stronger it is going to make you. If it is only a training bike and you aren't planning on racing it, weight is pretty irrelevant.
This guy knows what he is talking about. Get a cheaper and heavier bike and if you want something better later you can keep it as a commuter you don't mind getting filthy and dirty. Extra weight on a bike not used for racing or really fast groups will just make you fitter. Also, cheap heavy stuff will often hold up better than really lightweight and chiselled parts, and is hence good for a reliable ride. I flog my 10kg + cheapie roadie for more km than practically anyone I know, and love it dearly.

Ozchuck

Likes Dirt
agreed.
105 is the level where roadies really start to get nice to ride.
You'll definitely notice that well before you notice the 700g difference.

Andres

Squid
Not sure if pirces have drastically risen in the last year or so, but I managed to pick up this Learsport 8500 with full Ultegra and upgraded to Mavic Aksium wheels for $1900 new. No pedals though.

8.7kg, full Ultegra and Mavic wheels for under $2000 makes it easy to look past the 'Learsport' label. Especially when it uses Columbus Zonal tubing too! Compare it to a Trek for the same dollars and you're lucky to get full 105. And the frame is still gonna be coming out of Asia at that end of the market, no matter the brand.

Only issues in about 3000kms of riding has been having to get the crankset off once to re-grease and I broke I spoke last week (which was repaired for $35).

spyderman_au

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Dude, what the hell.

Altough his response was not fully in depth it did not deserve your attitude.

Go get a life.
Good idea, I will now go out and get a life.... Thanks so much for pointing out that I needed one. I have often wondered what was wrong.

You are so insightfull. See you for the next seminar on what I need?

Almost forgot,,,,, :D

Sorry that I upset you Cedel, I did not know that;
1. You were going to to be reading this thread, or,
2. That you were so precious and thin skinned.

Sorry once again Cedel.

End of rant!

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
10kg too heavy? Definitely not. I have a 20 year old Steel Cecil Walker and it is a pleasure to ride. I can out sprint and climb better than some people on brand new Avanti Vivace's, etc. Mine has Shimano 105 and it is an excellent groupset. This particular combination had done about 5000km before I bought the bike and I added 3000km to that over a few years, have only just replaced it. It even has the old downtube shifters. What you want is a comfortable ride. If 2nd hand offers that, then go for it. But brand-new might be the most comfortable. I wouldn't necessarily worry about weight until you get right up in racing (if you're that way inclined). Fitness is what separates riders. When you get to the point where weight becomes a significant advantage, you're probably close to sponsorship. Start small, work up.

My roadie is a 35 year old Alan which comes in at about 10.8 kg. I love it and since it is only a training bike, it does all I want.
A bit off topic, do you have any pics of your Alan mate? My dad has an old Alan frame sitting in the shed which belonged to his dad. We're hoping to do it up but gave up a while back due to availability of parts. Would be keen to see what a complete one looks like.