Is 7-8' too much for Enduro rides?

petri

Likes Dirt
Last edited:

matty_101

Likes Dirt
It seems like way too much, id expect nothing more than 6 and thats pushing it, although i have been wrong many, many times before.

Zyphryss

Breaker of the unbreakable
The second new bike they’ve got is called “One”. It’s meant to be the one bike that can do it all. It’s an Enduro frame that features 7″ or 8″ of travel. It doesn’t pedal like any 7″ or 8″ travel bike you’ve probably ever ridden. They claim it weighs in at 7lbs with a FOX DHX 5 air shock. They will also be offering a more stout version of the “One” in a 1.5″ headtube and ribbed tubing.

With a 7 pound frame like that, and a good linkage, there's no reason why it couldn't be peddled around all day!
Still, even 7" is probably is overkill for an enduro...

Ham

Likes Bikes and Dirt
it all depends on how it rides 7 inches sounds like a lot but i haven't ridden it so it might be great.

petri

Likes Dirt
yeah... i'm in two minds about it, i like the concept of a stout version tho

keep 'em coming gents

peacock

Squid
does the rear shock have a lock out?? if it did then it wouldnt be as hard on the uphills.

but it all depends on how rough the decents are and how long the uphills are

flognoffsky

Banned
At the end of the day is this going to make you more money or just be a flop...there are plenty of good enduro bikes out there adding one that hasn't got much exposure in the aussie mtb scene might not be beneficial to you.

I say no but thats my $0.02

tnankie

Likes Dirt
does it have to be that ugly?

I ride a nomad on enduro rides and its fine at 6.5" (but only if there are some decent downs)

Dunno, at the end of the day its how the bike handles thats going to be the solution. Intelectually if it is efficient and reasonably light and doesn't have any horrible quirks then I can't see it being anything other than a good thing. Though I think you will have your work cut out to convince ppl it is fine.

people are so happy to catagorise bikes by their travel alone without looking at geometery and how the ammount of travel effects that geometery, not to mention weight.

Turner_rider

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The one i'm really wondering about is an enduro frame called the "One" that has 7-8' of travel.....

Lemme know your thoughts...
Typos got to love them.....

Imagine a bike with 7 foot of travel, you'd need a ladder to get on it, and tree lined single track could be rather challenging ;)

ilostmypassword

Likes Dirt
Honestly? A good hardtail anyday....... or a short travel bike like the Anthem, Epic or Scalpel.

These longer travel bikes are great for the rocky, dry and Gnarly trails in the USA- but most a>>>>b marathons / enduros are pretty tame here and a good hardtail is more than capable.

jaseh

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Honestly? A good hardtail anyday....... or a short travel bike like the Anthem, Epic or Scalpel.

These longer travel bikes are great for the rocky, dry and Gnarly trails in the USA- but most a>>>>b marathons / enduros are pretty tame here and a good hardtail is more than capable.
Totally agree, we don't really have the terrain to warrant bikes with that much travel, marketing tells us we do, but when you get out there you don't. A well set up 4-5in travel dually is about all you need for most riding here. Me and a few of my mates have come to the conclusion that for the riding up here in Newcastle 4in is about perfect. Any more is a waste.

betelnut

Likes Dirt
I ride a 6" bike (Ventana Terremoto) for XC/AM/enduro (or whatever it's called this week) and after 2 years on this type of bike I reckon that it is probably overkill for most of the riding I do..

Just because it is possible to make an 8" bike that pedals well and doesn't weigh too much doesn't mean that we actually need that much travel.. More travel is a good thing to a point - the trade off with longer travel bikes (higher centre of gravity, high BB, slower handling etc) may mean that we get bikes that are for suitable for 5% of our riding instead of the 95% of our riding. So we put up with compromises for the majority of the ride to make a small proportion of our riding a little more fun.

I was talking to a riding friend the other day who about the bikes we ride (Foes FXR, Intense 6.6, Ventana Terremoto) and we agreed that these 6" plus "trail" bikes are great fun, but they are really only good fun because we can't afford to buy a 5" light XC/trail bike and 7-8" light(ish) freeride/DH bike. We suffer on the climbs because these bikes make the downhills heaps of fun. If Australia had an abundance of trails that required more than 5-6" of travel, I'd give you a very different answer, but we have pretty much pure XC or pure DH type trails, with not many that hover between the two (a couple of You Yangs trails like Trav's track fit this criteria).

I wouldn't buy a bike like the Canfield unless I already had a 5-6" trail bike and wanted the Canfield as a light freeride/DH machine that was for very specific rides. I love the idea of this bike and the reviews sound good, but I think Australia has a pretty small market for these bikes, unfortunately. Then again, I'm fat and old so may not be the right person to ask.

---Matt---

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm not so sure about the "One". While I like the idea, there have been a lot of companies that have said their long travel bikes pedal well but have come up short. I guess we'll just have to wait and see. I honestly can't imagine a small company like Canfield Brothers would sell a bike like that without a solid reasoning behind it so I'm guessing it does what they say it does. You have to get at least one out here to build and test out!

I think the hardest thing to get over in Aus will be the marketing. It seems that most people who are looking for enduro bikes will look at something more around the 5" travel market , ie. the "Sauce" as it looks more like a standard enduro bike and looks nicer with less bent tubes. I guess there isn't really the terrain around here to use more than that anyway.

tnankie said:
does it have to be that ugly?
The Nomad is no spring chicken either! ;) But I agree that bent tubes are ugly although they are needed to make this bike work.

foolbis

Likes Dirt
I'D BUY IT!!!!!!

I ride a Giant Faith 2 and I'm doing the full 100km Fling on it! (unless I die half way through)

So many of my mates have been looking for a 6-8" travel bike that weighs in around the 12-15kgs mark. If this bike can keep to those weights...let me get my wallet out! :D

Dougy

Likes Dirt
Probably aimed more at the SuperD/Megavalanche crew who want long travel but still need a light bike for the traverse sections. Don't think it would be too popular in Aus as the current crop of 5-7" bikes are more than enough for our enduro style of racing.

...jim

skanky media ho
I guess it depends on what kind of enduro rides you're talking about. If it's the current crop of 100km races then yes - 7-8" is over sprung for what are generally smooth fireroads and/or singletrack. Very few of them would challenge the suspension of a Reign or a Yeti-575.

If your defn. of enduro is different - terrain specific - then perhaps. I have a 575 and for a long time figured it was more bike than I need for Canberra. Far too much travel for sparrow hill - only getting max travel in a couple of places at Majura... But now that Stromlo's coming on line that's changing. There are plenty of tracks up there that will use full travel - and I dare say some'd be even more fun on a 7-8" All Mountain stylee.