Is a 650b+ bike unsuitable for Cairns trails?

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
But I was told by a bike shop owner that Smithfield trails (my local trails) will be rubbish on a 650b+ bike unless it's an e-bike.
He's talking you out of a bike aimed at super fun with more grip to get a heavier slower bike with a battery sticky taped too it? Wow, he sounds like an A Grade moron who should not be part of the mountain bike world.
Either of the plus sized bikes you like would be ace, don't be put off by the shop's advice, they clearly don't know what they are talking about.

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
He's talking you out of a bike aimed at super fun with more grip to get a heavier slower bike with a battery sticky taped too it? Wow, he sounds like an A Grade moron who should not be part of the mountain bike world.
Either of the plus sized bikes you like would be ace, don't be put off by the shop's advice, they clearly don't know what they are talking about.
To be fair, he wasn't pushing me onto an e-bike, it was his opinion that 650b+ tires are only suited to e-bikes.

From all the reviews, slack 650b+ hardtails (Torrent, Fuse, Fluid, Scale etc) sound like a lot of fun!

Are you in Cairns?

Yeah I thought it was odd.. I have a Giant Talon and I enjoy a few blue and black trails but it's not quite slack enough to make up for my skills and courage down the slopes!

I like crawling around and being technical rather than flow and bomb around at high speed!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Not in Cairns sorry (Brisbane). The reviews are pretty accurate, if they resonate with you then you should be fine.

Fred Nurk

No custom title here
Hi all,

Quite a specific question but I'm really interested in a 650b+ hardtail as I want to hack around a bit without the maintenance issues (I'm lazy) and cost (I'm poor) of a full suspension bike.

But I was told by a bike shop owner that Smithfield trails (my local trails) will be rubbish on a 650b+ bike unless it's an e-bike.

There's zero chance of a demo ride so it would be good to hear from people that have ridden there however subjective the reply.
I'd find a new bike shop.

jbg

Likes Dirt
Any of the shops up there let you demo a 650+?
I rode Smithfield with a local who had a stumpy fattie and he seemed to love it, he was pretty quick on the dh trails too.
Most of the 650+ bikes can also run 29" and 27.5 which is a bonus.
If ever there was an ideal spot for a 650+ it would be Smithfield/Cairns I would have though

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've got nothing against + bikes, but by all accounts from an effort/speed perspective the benefits of 650+ are not clear when any pedalling is involved. I don't know the trails, but could the shop have a valid point? Or is a 29er DH e-bike the answer to what ails ya.

4dabush

Likes Dirt
Bill, I'm with you. I would love a Torrent for Smithy, and I reckon it would be even better at Davies.
By way of (not very good comparisons) I have ridden my fatbike near enough the whole park, from Oceanview down crocs teeth and croc slide, Jacobs B, 3rd high and all the rest of the park - it's fine, and it's 15kg. The fat climbs really well, maybe geo/tyre grip/body position. Grip down, I can stop on croc slide!
I have also ridden the same on my Norco 125 DJ bike with Revo's and 2.35 small block 8's (which are a massive tyre, nearly as big as my 2.35 x650b and but way wider) and, other than real rough like Jacobs and Crocs teeth, it's also really good fun and much more playful that 4.0 tyres! Bear in mind I have pressures of about 30+ in that as the tyres are nontubless converted and I tore one on Jacobs, which didn't end nicely. Climbing it is not so nice, not bad, but not as good as the fatbike, but it's smaller and geo is not what you would call XC! You are welcome to take it for a blast...it's also about 14kg...
So, a trail geo, big footed, dropper fitted hard tail at about 13kgs should be killer fun.
AND, as I know how you ride, buy a set of 27.5 x 3 rocket rons and swap them for the RRR... I reckon you'd PB it.

HamboCairns

Any of the shops up there let you demo a 650+?
I rode Smithfield with a local who had a stumpy fattie and he seemed to love it, he was pretty quick on the dh trails too.
Most of the 650+ bikes can also run 29" and 27.5 which is a bonus.
If ever there was an ideal spot for a 650+ it would be Smithfield/Cairns I would have though
I'm 195cm tall so there's not much in the way of demo stock :(

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

wavike

Likes Dirt
Bill, I'm with you. I would love a Torrent for Smithy, and I reckon it would be even better at Davies.
So, a trail geo, big footed, dropper fitted hard tail at about 13kgs should be killer fun.
AND, as I know how you ride, buy a set of 27.5 x 3 rocket rons and swap them for the RRR... I reckon you'd PB it.
Finding a HT+ for a reasonable price might be hard. I've picked up a Splesh fuse ('16 expert) for the sale price $2,500. Still the odd one around at that price but not likely in L or XL. The current crop seem to be all 141 QR rears in alloy, pretty average spec and well over 14kg I'd expect for larger sizes. Splesh are doing a carbon 148 TA but you could buy a dually for same price. I got the fuse for easy maintenance, right price. They roll really well over the rough stuff and carry speed, climb fine but still let you know you're on a HT. Good luck with the search.

HamboCairns

Finding a HT+ for a reasonable price might be hard. I've picked up a Splesh fuse ('16 expert) for the sale price $2,500. Still the odd one around at that price but not likely in L or XL. The current crop seem to be all 141 QR rears in alloy, pretty average spec and well over 14kg I'd expect for larger sizes. Splesh are doing a carbon 148 TA but you could buy a dually for same price. I got the fuse for easy maintenance, right price. They roll really well over the rough stuff and carry speed, climb fine but still let you know you're on a HT. Good luck with the search.
Hey, Norco Torrent is $2,200 and I imagine there will be specials on that. Trek have introduced one called the Roscoe but it's only got a Judy fork. That said, the drive train is 1x, comes with a dropper post and the frame is nice. Oh and it's $1,600 so plenty of scope for a fork and brakes upgrade later.

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
We have sold a few 650+ handrails and they are a ball of fun. The rolling resistance isn't nearly as dramatic as you'll expect. Weve actually sold more of the avanti model with dropper than the Scott which has been surprising. Either way a good set of tyres it and decent size front ring to smash through things brings them into their element.

HamboCairns

We have sold a few 650+ hardtails and they are a ball of fun. The rolling resistance isn't nearly as dramatic as you'd expect. We've actually sold more of the Avanti model with dropper than the Scott which has been surprising. Either way a good set of tyres on it and a decent size front ring to smash through things brings them into their element.
Thanks Sethius :)

allan.taylor64

Likes Dirt
Everybody who has bought a 650b + bike at the shop i work at has loved it. I was a sceptic at first but everyone has said essentially said the same as above, difference isnt as dramatic as you may think.

If you are concerned abiut rolling resistance a Kona Honzo could fit the bill nicely. Took out a mates Honzo and absolutely loved it. Even beat some of my pbs.

rstim

Likes Dirt
I did see an XL Honzo forsale in QLD on Facebook not 27.5+ but they are supposed to be a great ride.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

marks

Likes Bikes
Only down side I found with 650+ is trying to use some shuttle trailers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk