Is a container / granny flat eligible for first home owners grant ?

limeyfingers

Likes Dirt
Hi guys, have been giving some thought to buying a bit of land in a parish ( council ) auction. I was wondering if granny flats and container homes would qualify for fhog. Do any of you know what actually qualifys as a new residential dwelling. Hoping I can build a house for next to nothing. Cheers for any help as government sites I have googled seem a tad short of info, limey

thatsnotme

Likes Dirt
Hi guys, have been giving some thought to buying a bit of land in a parish ( council ) auction. I was wondering if granny flats and container homes would qualify for fhog. Do any of you know what actually qualifys as a new residential dwelling. Hoping I can build a house for next to nothing. Cheers for any help as government sites I have googled seem a tad short of info, limey
Which State / Territory? They've all got their own schemes and they're all different to each other.

For example though, the Victorian and ACT schemes refer to a 'Home' as "A building, affixed to land, that may be lawfully used as a place of residence and is, in the Commissioner’s opinion, suitable for use as a place of residence." So if whatever you're building is approved for living in, then it should qualify for the grant.

Last edited:

floody

Wheel size expert
Not sure but I think the answer may be no, and in any case getting a loan for a prefab or similar is super difficult. You wouldn't have a prayer of getting a loan to convert your own container + buy a plot of vacant land unless it were a personal loan or a really low LVR.