Is Adelaide Radelaide for riding?

houli77

Likes Dirt
heading down soon from bris, working at womad..

in town for 4 days fri - mon and only have to work for a few hours so thinking about bringing bike :dance:

unfort i won't have transport, apart from bike if i bring it, and be staying inner city.

guess i'm looking for some local advice on whether it'll be worth the hassle getting out to the hills etc? is there public transport? will you drive me? :heh:

any local knowledge much appreciated, riding 2011 enduro, chasing light dh, AM trails.. not really into long xc rides, i'd more enjoy push runs or shuttles on one or two solid trails and get em dialed..

might be able to swing entry to womad in exchange for guidance :fish2:

aanon

Likes Dirt
Those in the know, know.Adelaide is worth visiting with an MTB.
There are easy to access trails from the city, either on bike or train.
Bring ya bike.

4dabush

Likes Dirt
Eagle Park is gonna give you the riding you want and its probably a 30min or so ride out of town...but why don't you hire a Hyundai Getz for a few days and check it out and other trails. Europcar has a shop in the centre of town and it was about $50 a day last time I was there. Buy travel insurance online before you go to cover hire car insurance excess...cost us $40 for 2 weeks from Budget Direct. I had bikeabout take me for a tour there when I didn't have my bike which could be another option.

I'm sure heaps of locals will post back though. Eagle is an old quarry so quite rocky trails in many sections - great fun and certainly different to the trails up here (similar to Townsville though)...

Type this into google maps for the location : Eagle Mountain Bike Park, Leawood Gardens, South Australia

Have fun!

Norco Maniac

Is back!
Only five of the best BMX tracks in Australia plus a plethora of urban creek and river trails if you're up for it there's gates practice and racing six nights a week if you have an open licence. I gate on my hardtail sometimes just for fun.

Last edited:

aanon

Likes Dirt
Nope... easier than trying to get to Eagle.... which is trashed at the moment anyway....

You want Lynton! Usually shuttle via train but the line is down for maintenance at the moment.
Trashed? its an MTB park not an operating theater.:dance:
Lynton is super close to city and cool fun trails so worth a look, but Eagle is better i reckon.
Do both.

Ackland

chats d'élevage
riding 2011 enduro, chasing light dh, AM trails.. not really into long xc rides, i'd more enjoy push runs or shuttles on one or two solid trails and get em dialed..
Lynton - 10km from the city

If you get there, the 4 loops I'd Recommend. Also all of the trails are there on Strava if you want to look them up before you go.

Windy's (DH) to Connector
4x Track
Sleeps 1,2,3
Gloucester rd Jumps to Tunnel x to Black Diamond Quarry

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ui58jsVcQ4

safire

Likes Dirt
If you can sort out some transport or find someone to shuttle with then check out fox creek. Was over in radelaide at xmas time and rode a couple of places. Fox creek has a number of DH trails and an AM trail to choose from that will be doable (and lots of fun) on an enduro. We rode back up the top each time and that's also doable (on my 2011 enduro), although a bit of a grind. We checked out eagle mtb park and yes it needs maintenance...fox creek was way more fun.

whiteman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Seeing as you don't have a car, Lynton and the surrounding Belair trails will be your best bet.

The train line is down for repairs so you won't be able to just catch a train from the city. However, if you ride to the Mitcham train station (~6km ride) a free shuttle bus with a 12 bike trailer runs from there up to Belair where all the trails are. There are all ways people out doing runs and I'm sure they'll be happy to show you some of the tracks!

For a heads up the shuttles run 7 days a week. 3:30pm - 6:30pm on weekdays and 10am - 4pm on weekends.

houli77

Likes Dirt
thanks for all the responses!

i'm pretty dead set on bringing bike now.. looked up a few of the places listed, looks good..

still waiting on all details as to whether i will have own transport etc, but at a pinch i'll leg it out to lynton or eagle, and work it out..

i'll most prob be riding on the sat/sun so i'm sure i'll run into some friendly folk who can guide me if i'm lost.

cheers

houli77

Likes Dirt
Just packing bike in bike bag! phew...

bikes really don't belong in bags.. but getting there..

just posting on the chance anyone local is heading out somewhere cool sunday morn and can fit a 33y/o traveller in the car..?? A/M loops, light dh, jumps/burms whatever.. otherwise i'll prob pedal out to Lynton 6-7ish sunday morn from city.

text/call me - oh four zero zero 160533

m

houli77

Likes Dirt
Yeah not too badly guys..

scored a lift out to lynton on the sunday morn, got dropped at train station by myself.

pedalled/walked up through the trails there and into the freeride bit, dropped into one of those runs to get the heart started then pushed up to the rd and followed the dh run to its start. went right and ended up finding my way up to top of sleeps runs and bombed down there, scooted across to 4x track, then down a run back to train station.

not 100% sure what all the runs were that i did, but i ended up just pedalling up the concrete path to top of sleeps on whatever rd that was and bombing down different ways. did 7 laps up n down every which way..

crazy terrain.. dont get rocks like that in bris anywhere. got pretty freakin loose a few times..

rode back to city after ride which was piss easy..

rode a bmx track near the city on the monday, rode past it riding home from lynton, was pretty cool..

all in all good fun, i'm impressed that the double black n black dh trails are legal and not dumbed down like all the legal trails here in bris. our legal trails are pretty soft.. imagine it would be even better with a bit of local knowledge.

def be bringing bike again, would love to have more time and check out eagle and the other places mentioned here.. and get on the shuttles..

cheers