Is Cannondale Gemini 4X Savvy?

shorty

Likes Dirt
I've done some searching around the forum about the Gemini frame. But i can't seem to find much info but it's 4X/thrashing ability!

So I know that Cedric rides a Gem for 4X/MtnX, but not everyone can have a custom Gem, so is the stock Gem 900 frame a reasonable racer? I'd be putting DJ2 forks on it (until i upgrade) and other parts i currently have! Will the Gem perform, even with an average rider piloting it?

Thanks guys for you input!

shorty

Likes Dirt
I have a hardtail...and the chase would be my last pick for another hardtail! So far, acquiring at Gemini is purely hypothetical...well kinda...until i can find an '04 small or medium frame for sale...that i don't have to travel for and/or have good pics of!

Daver

Kung Fu Panda
I would say forget about going for a frame and get a 2002/3 Gemini 1000 bike. Whack on a chainguide, differesnt bars and stem and the bike will be very similar to Gracias personal spec

shorty

Likes Dirt
Good ideas fellas....but i have all the spec i need...i just want a frame... it is still of course hypothetical... i want to know if it rides and corners well and fast... coz i don't wanna ride a tank and have no opportunity to get the odd amateur podium!!

i have two choices in my mind...a new yeti dj hardtail frame or a 2nd hand '04 Gemini frame.... i do think, however, that the Gemini will be more versatile.... coz riding 4X is a less frequent event!

patty.c

Likes Dirt
Two of my mates both have Gemini 9000, the are super smooth, strong, light and are a pleasure to ride if I had the money the gemini, would be by choice for sure espeasically for freeriding/downhilling. Kitoff has his frame for sale with a manitou 4way. Defiently a bargin

shorty

Likes Dirt
patty.c said:
Two of my mates both have Gemini 900, the are super smooth, strong, light
Talking about light...any idea of the frame weight? i've heard 17kgs being thrown around for the weight of a built up factory spec Gemini 900

And yes i know Kitoff is selling a frame....but i live in melbourne...and i don't have the means to travel just to take a look at it unfortunately

patty.c

Likes Dirt
I think it could be lighter then squids super light foes fly, that may be why Kitoff beat him at Ourimbah on the weekend?

shorty

Likes Dirt
shorty said:
i have two choices in my mind...a new yeti dj hardtail frame or a 2nd hand '04 Gemini frame.... i do think, however, that the Gemini will be more versatile.... coz riding 4X is a less frequent event!
I think that says it all...but thank you very much for ur offer...i don't know why u'd wanna sell it!

Squidly Didly

Has Been
Staff member
shorty said:
Talking about light...any idea of the frame weight?
approx 7ibs for the frame with a Fox Float shock. I got mine down to 27.5ibs complete, but to make it strong enough for 4x, you'll be working around the 31-32ibs mark. As a comparison, the stock Gemini 900 weighs in at approx 36ibs on our scales.

Tim

Likes Dirt
there was a Foes ZigZag frame in the classifieds a little while ago, which was going for a good price. That would be an extreamly nice 4x ride.

Tim

shorty

Likes Dirt
Squidly Didly said:
shorty said:
Talking about light...any idea of the frame weight?
approx 7ibs for the frame with a Fox Float shock. I got mine down to 27.5ibs complete, but to make it strong enough for 4x, you'll be working around the 31-32ibs mark. As a comparison, the stock Gemini 900 weighs in at approx 36ibs on our scales.
Hey squidly...how did you get your Gemini so light?

This is my spec that'd i'd transfer over!