is it better to be clipped in or not to be in for 4x

DALE09

Likes Bikes
hey guys is it better to be clipped in for 4x and if not why not and how are normal pedals better :confused:

camtb

Likes Dirt
hey,

If you're first starting you might want flats, but you will find its much faster to run clips, its faster as you can get up to speed a lot quicker, as you have two times the power, as you can pull up on your back foot, while pushing down with your front foot..

If its a really loose track, and its muddy, you may find it better to run flats, but most of the time clips are better...

camtb

Likes Dirt
I don't know, it really depends on how long you've been riding..

Shimano's are good for learning on, as they have a wide range of adjustments, but if you want something cheaper torpedo7 do shoe and pedal combinations for 100-150, if you're just starting 4X ride flats

disappearin

Likes Dirt
clips all the way for 4x imo. im currently running shimano m770's but have some crank bros candy pedals on the way. i use xc style shoes but it all comes down to preferance. they will take some getting used to but it will pay off in the end. if you use shimano style pedals back the springs off so can get in and out easier until you get confident with them.

Last edited:

DALE09

Likes Bikes
thank you to all of you

thanks everyone your advice have been incredibly useful for me aswell but please please giving me your advie as all of it is useful and taken on board

cheers

feltq650

Likes Bikes and Dirt
the only advantage to running clips is with the gate and if the track isnt all that flowy and is very "stop , start". In the first straight it will make a big difference as you will find you can probably pedal through the whole thing without having your feet jump or slip of the pedals. Flats, imo, are much better to ride in but clips are a neccesity in 4x as you need every advantage you can get. If your new to 4x an/or riding i would run flats as you wont be as confident being clipped on to your bike and running flats will alow you to dab a foot every now and then.

Sam_rides.

Likes Dirt
A really nice pedal to start on would be somthing like a shimano Dx. They are really wide and have heaps of adjustment. You could also get some time pedals as they are pretty good as well. (Not as much adjustment)

Picture of the shimano Ones:

Time Pedals:

Last edited: