Is it time for a serious SS nats?

adz

Likes Dirt
This is by no means an attempt to bag out the SS Nats in its current format...love the fun style of it!!

But is it time for a serious single speed nationals as well?

Love to hear your thoughts!!

Wasnt sure whether to post here or in single speed thread?

eyes

Likes Bikes and Dirt
This is by no means an attempt to bag out the SS Nats in its current format...love the fun style of it!!

What was non-serious about the previous ones? I haven't been to one, but would like to...

RichJS

Likes Dirt
Looks pretty serious to me.

View attachment 248223
The only thing wrong with that is too much awesome for just one photo.

I've never attended SS Nats because from what I hear you can't win from drinking prowess alone. Not that I'm saying that would make me the victor .. but I'd like to see more beer shortcuts on a course, such that you could save more than a few kilometres by spending as much time riding as otherwise participating in frothy shenanigans.

pi11wizard

Likes Dirt

No 10 characters

Bundy boy

Likes Dirt
This was the first time l had the luck of attending the SS Nats and l loved it. If it was a serious race event l would not have enjoyed it as much. It was a weekend to let my hair (mutton chops) down and meet some really nice people with the main emphasis on having fun while riding my single speed.
If the missus will grant me parol for the ss nats next year l will be there with bells on plus fairy wings and maybe a tutu.

Stevob

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I think it's a good idea. However, before the (serious version) Nats I think it would be fun to have a series of single speed only races. Just small events dotted here and there throughout the country. Something like three 3hr races in each state. That way you could gauge real interest in a serious SS Nats. It would also be a good idea to combine the current SS nats fun race with a serious race on the same course and weekend. And the entrants in the fun race could cheer the serious racers on after their own event, like you see at cyclocross races. That way teetotallers like myself would have an excuse to go away for a weekend of frivolity.

Too many gearies get their noses out of joint when the suggestion of single speed categories in enduros is brought up. Screw 'em I say. We should do it our own way.:tongue1:

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
If you want to be serious put gears on and go to the nationals....

Too many gearies get their noses out of joint when the suggestion of single speed categories in enduros is brought up. :
And the Olympics should have a category for people who wish to run the 100m without shoes, or with 1 shoe, or those wanting to hop....

Last edited:

Stevob

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Like I said...:wave:

This discussion isn't about ss cats, it's about stand alone ss races.

tjb

Likes Dirt
Around 2006 MTBA Nationals at Mt Beauty they did hold an SS championship event if you want a proper race. Maybe speak to MTBA/CORC ?

Definitely no beer short cut in that one!!

Mad Hatter

Likes Dirt
The more I think about it the more I want to do it. I will accept your offer of assistance when the time comes Steve. Many thanks.
I`m willing to help out too. I can think of one club and venue that would be willing to host an event without too much persuasion. (Bundy, you reading this?)

I`ll be doing my local club`s summer series on the trusty SS. Not sure there will be many others lining up on SS next Tuesday, but as its a handicap series I`ll be on a level playing field with the geared riders.

Cheers
MH