Is it too hard to say "hello"

latheboy

Likes Dirt
I agree with all of you really.

On my moto i nod to everyone bar the patch club guys and scooters. Most nod back.

When wondering around the bottom of a cliff going climbing i find people who are just far too cool to talk to you.
Even bush walking where there's not another human for miles around people can be cold.
I wonder if my wife is right and i do look like an axe murderer, I only shave once a month :)

I think it's just that lots of people suck and are far too self absorbed.

When my wife and I walked to Everest base camp we made a game of seeing how many tourists we could get to say hello back to us.
It was about 10% in the end, most just kept walking. We did see near on a thousand people too.

It got to the point were we would wave like crazy with a big HELLO :) Hard to do with a 30kg pack on but it was fun.

I think i'll start playing that game while riding. Probably gonna look like a crazy person.

flamshmizer

Likes Dirt
I've found its the people who think they are amazing are the jerks who don't say hi, and the ones who are comfortable with their ability (whether they are slow or Jared Graves) are the ones who stop and say hi, discuss line choice etc.

That goes for all disciplines, XC, DH etc. Except roadies, I don't know but i spent ages saying hi to them as many many roadies use the same route that i do to get to work. I'll be there riding at 4:30 or 5:30 in the morning, while its still bloody dark, and say hi. I did this consistently for months and I think i got 2 responses, ever. I'm there at work trying to advocate for cycling when all the bogan moron's start with their "Its my road i pay rego rar rar rar" stuff, but when the roadies don't even give a fellow cyclist 2 seconds to say hi before the sun has even woken up, i do lose my faith. I hate to stereotype but roadies don't seem to do a lot for their image.

retroenduro

Likes Dirt
Interesting thread! i to do find that Lysterfield does have more than its fair share of arrogant pricks (usually head to toe in racing strip lycra - not saying lycra is a bad thing). Only last week on a night ride did we have some fool try and ride up past six of us as we were coming down hill. Tried to pass me on a corner...my back wheel drifted slightly....rear mech made good contact with shaved leg ha ha ha! His mates were friendly enough tho.

Also we had the case of some tool yelling 'TRACK' at one of our trail crew (actually the club president!) on a closed section of trail. When told the trail was closed the guy gave Andy a load of abuse. He was VERY lucky not to ride away with a mattock embedded in his head.

Yet another...on one particular trail build the VP was doing a great job at getting riders (mega thanks to all those that helped) to help bring a barrow load of gravel up the hill but one guy, when asked, turned around and said...' f#ck off, im here to ride, not fix trails' before riding off. Again flirting dangerously with guys who are armed with some pretty heavy tools.

I guess its just because some people are selfish wankers. Leave them to it i say. They will get their bad karma eventually. Also dont forget that due to its position Lysterfield gets all types, not just super keen friendly folk like us on RB

Peace!

PS if i dont say hello it sprobably cos im struggling to catch my breath. Ill give you a nod tho!

mik_git

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I think it depends on the person, sure some people are just asses, but if you look at some of the guys I ride with, one guy would stop and have a big long yak to anyone, I try to say hi, especially to other users like walkers etc, and a couple of other mates, who are really nice guys, don't say anything, not because they are being rude, just that they don't realise that they should have said something. then you get my GF, if someone said hi to her, she'd probably leap for cover behind the nearest tree.
So don't think that if they don't reply they are being right tools (well they might, some people are truely tools), they just might be in a different place to you.

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
I believe it`s a city-centric thing mostly. The same thing happened to motorcycling in the 90`s (oh god I feel old now).
Every time you passed another motorcyclist on the road you would nod or raise an index finger in greeting. As motorcycling became more popular the practice started to disappear. Soon it spread to the country roads and now it`s only old riders on touring bikes loaded with gear that acknowledge greetings to other old farts on big bikes loaded with gear (it may not be quite that bad but you get the idea).
Some people are just too busy with their metro-sexual likestyle to be bothered thinking that others are enjoying the same activity at the same time.
The camaraderie is starting to die. I hope it doesn`t, but the culprits responsible aren`t the ones reading this forum. They are sitting in their offices updating their FaceSpace page to show they engaged in a 'post sexual self gratificational manual stimulation session at 7:42 a.m.' before trying to hit on the waitress serving them a light soy latte on the way to work.
Roll in peace brothers and sisters.
Cheers
MH
haha likes it! :D

I just assumed that Lysterfield gathered the roadies who turned onto dirt? youies is less known, less prestige for their status, lystie is where to be seen.

Norco Maniac

Is back!
reading this thread and nodding away and cacking myself at some of the posts :eek:range:

i've been commuting on my hardtail recently, i usually don't ride on the road at all. been amazed at how many other amateurs will at least smile and give you "the nod" where the more serious riders just farkin' ignore you. maybe it's because i get around in my gloves, elbow pads and ratty old bmx full-face...who knows:nerd:

been nearly mowed down a few times on the creek trails by yuppie lycra boys on their shop-built Giants. farkin' twats. yet the guys who work in my local bikes shops are great...friendly, helpful, and don't diss my lack of serious skills....

Nautonier

Eats Squid
I'd have to say that when tossing up whether or not to do an XC ride at Lysterfield or somewhere else, I invariably always opt for somewhere else due to an inherent dislike of the types of people who ride there. And I don't think that's a generalisation; EVERY time I've ridden at Lysterfield I've encountered plenty of unfriendly wankers. I think it's a shame, they are ruining the vibe of the place and part of enjoying riding is being somewhere where people are friendly and (if you need it) helpful.

Let's hope these people keep spending far too much time with their metrosexual lifestyles and don't have time to go out and ruin the vibe of other spots like the Youis.

JP

Likes Dirt
The best form of cycling advocacy is to smile, wave and greet profusely!

I have just concluded a something-to-amuse-myself-while-commuting-and-my-daydreams-and-ponderings-are-interrupted-by-fools type of survey. Over the last 6 months of commuting from the Blue Mtns to Penrith, I've taken note of how many people acknowledge my greetings. 3%. A lousy 3% of all the people I say gday or wave to on my commute return the salutation. The group that brought the numbers waaaaay down was... you guessed it, ROADIES! One guy actually had the nerve to not only ignore my hello but said "Nice panniers grandma" as he and his felcher mates road past in their pseudo TDF pack.

The best for saying hello are old guys going for their pre sunrise walk, usually with a "You winning mate?" or some such malarky.

We have a skin suit hero blazing around the trails behind our house who, from what some people have said, ignores everyone. Well the JP charm and perseverence has won the serious fellow over! I had passed him twice, as we were doing laps in opposite directions, and as we approached for the third time I heard "For f*$ks sake, here we go again. HELLO." VICTORY!!!!!! Not many can resist the infectious infectioning of infectionations that I emanate.

Turner_rider

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ok, just playing the devils advocate here, but is it really necessary to say hi and have a conversation with everyone you see riding while you are on your bike??

Do you say hi to everyone walking down the street that you pass, or wave at everyone who drives the same make of car as you when you’re on your way somewhere?? I have my doubts, but yet there is this expectation that everyone while riding has to stop for tea and scones and discuss the cover of the latest Womens Weekly.

Just because someone doesn’t respond to your satisfaction does not automatically mean they are a rude prick, for all you know they’ve come out for a quiet ride and you’re the 274th person that’s expected a discussion about the rising price of full cream milk. Or maybe just maybe that person riding a road bike is concentrating of the taxi or 4WD 50m down the road who’s about pull in front of them with little consideration rather than you…

Yes its nice to be friendly but be realistic in your expectations, don’t be so quick to judge if you get no response and treat it as neutral rather than negative...

D_Nine

I agree have also noticed this situation. Just an acknowledgement would be nice, a head nod would do.Funny I bet they would want everyone to stop and "say Hi " if they'd just gone over the bars and busted something ! When I had my Kombi you would do the finger of the wheel,just to say "mate I know what you are going through !" Old Landrover drivers do the same, must be something in that ! So just take 1thousandth of a second and at the least nod as you pass, you never know when you may need there help.

Big Chuck

Likes Dirt
I spent some time riding/waiting on the Oaks(Blue Mountains, NSW) yesterday with the kids and I must have seen 30 + riders, I think everybody said hello and a couple of riders even got in first which is hard to do with me.

There has been the odd occasion when riders deliberately ignore me while passing. I understand some guys are on a training mission, but a simple smile, wave, nod anything will do. There are exceptions, trying to suck in air to stay alive, or if your brain is focused on survival because you are riding a really techy section.

DWNHLR01

Likes Dirt
Same everywhere and with any kind of sport, club whatever…

Happens in car club cruises as well.

I’m guilty of it sometimes as well…I won’t/don’t say hello on trails occasionally…I might nod or smile though.

I got some dirty looks on Saturday when I locked the rears at the pickup and a huge dust cloud blew right over a group who were talking hahah.

IIITAK3NIII

Likes Dirt
To generalize :

Lake mountain: A lot of wankers for some reason
Lysterfield: generally rude
Buxton: everyone is so nice out there.
You Yangs: Great people in my experience.

markusm

Likes Bikes
I need to vent,

I don't know what is wrong with people, can't you say hello or at least look at me and nod as you go past?

I think i past about 10 people today while riding at Lysterfield and only two people said hello/hi or even looked at us.

The last 2 really pissed me off when we were going down (them on the up) and they cut off my wife making her turn off the track then trying to push me off the track.
Not a sorry, hello or even a look in our general direction. I even said hello as you past me just to make you realise there was someone else one the trail.
F&#$ you guys, You're lucky i didn't punch you both.

Anyone out they who doesn't atleast look and nod, you people need to pull your head in.
I was on a road ride yesterday (i'm not going soft, well I hope im not, but the tracks around me are a bit too wet still, i dont want to munch them up), I passed probably 100 riders and i think i said good morning to nearly every one. I'd be lucky if 5 responded. They can all go and get f%^&ed!

It's not just out on the trails or roads though. It's society, I know of a girl at a local charcoal chicken place where I sometimes go to get salads and the conversation goes like this. Me, "Hi, how are you?". Her (a blank look), then "whatya after"? I hand over my money and say thank you. Her response to me is to look at the next customer and repeat what she just did to me. I swear I felt like just grabbing her by the throat and massaging her face into the counter.

Thats my rant over for the day, thank you

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
I also find that with roadies it's the younger ones, or ones that ride in pairs that aren't as friendly.
Seems to be the 'cool as ice' persona dosn't sit as well once the bikkie-belly and grey hair start to bloom. The older ones seem to like a chat or a wave.

An example.
Local bike shop said I should try one of the shop rides on a Sat morning.
So, 7am I am at the meeting spot waiting for the group to come rolling over the hill, and as they all pull up at the catch up spot and huddle into a stationary group I roll up and stick out a hand to the guy who seems to be the leader with a 'G'day mate". He dosn't say Hi, he just holds up his bidon bottle and has a sip as if to say "Can't shake hand, must electrolyte system, communication with man in aldi jersey on MTB is precious kj's wasted".

So I turn to the bunch and say "G'day guys. My names Mike". I get one grunt from random out back and the rest of them don't even acknowledge my presence, but they do 'up and down' my MTB with disapproving expressions. I don't reckon there would have been a road bike there valued under $8,000, and here I am on my XTC2.

Leader man huddles into group and mumbles something quietly to closest riders and they click in and they are off.
Before I know it we are in a rotating peleton pushing near 50kph, I am in 44 at the front and 11 on the back in a standing sprint group gallop just trying to hold my own. I keep with them for about ten minutes and I am out of gears spinning with nowhere to go as pack starts getting away from me and I get spat out the back. See ya!

Went to shop a few days later and commented on the friendly welcoming bunch and was advised that apparently they always do the rotating peleton when a new guy comes along to see if they can break him and weed out the guys who aren't worthy of the shop ride. As if it is some type of honour to be earned. FFS.

Sure, I was on 26" suspension bike and it was probably stupid of me to think I could keep up. And I wouldn't ever expect them to slow down for me and ruin the groups ride experience. That would be selfish of me. But a friendly greeting wasn't too much to ask I think.

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
It's not just out on the trails or roads though. It's society,
I reckon your'e right.
When I lived in Sydney I didn't talk to my neighbours once in two years. I'd be puttin my bins out and wave to neighbour and they'd run inside and draw the curtains.
But now I am in Shoalhaven Heads (about 2,000 people) everyone is friendly. In fact just this morning Bob from over the road brought my bins in for me.
Modern society is made up of a lot of scared and insecure people.

Jared

Yeti Cycles
It's never too hard to say hello, I think you experienced a "douche bag" unfortunately every sport has them, but theres plenty of good people as well.

Ridenparadise

Likes Bikes and Dirt
At Mt Joyce yesterday it almost felt like all the hellos were making me more out of breath than the hills. That could have been a pleasure-induced hallucination though.

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
Went to shop a few days later and commented on the friendly welcoming bunch and was advised that apparently they always do the rotating peleton when a new guy comes along to see if they can break him and weed out the guys who aren't worthy of the shop ride. As if it is some type of honour to be earned. FFS.

Geez what a fantastic way of getting more customers - NOT!!

Even though I see myself as a mtb'er, I still get on the roadie a bit. The regular Sat AM ride with my LBS has all levels of riders.
Wifey and I easily have the sh1tt13st road bikes in the group but noone seems to mind.
The ride out is pretty pedestrian with plenty of chances to chat with other riders. When we swing around for home it amps up a bit and people do get spat out the back but there is an agreed meeting point where everyone is accounted for before we ride back to the shop as a group for coffee, chat, etc

Have ridden with another roadie group before which in their code of conduct states "We look after others on a ride and no-one gets left behind" - thank god for that otherwise I would have been lost within the first 20 mins. If you're reading this DoubleD, Josie and I will be back for more Odyssey pain soon - the MTB rides have taken up a bit of our time of late + we have been a bit wussy with the super cold early mornings :)

There are certainly some arrogant/rude twits out there but there's also some really friendly groups. I like to think I am the in one of the latter :)

re: mtb'ers I was out at the YY yesterday and just about every person we saw said hello to us - the exception being the downhillers at the top of Cressy. Perhaps they were focussing on their run (or they were too stoned to notice us weaving through them as they waited for their turn :p)

Last edited: