Is my bike suitable

Harry14

Likes Dirt
hey all i was wondering how my stinky would hold up for racing dh
it is a 2005 kona stinky it has 170mm on the front and unsure about the back
i really want to race but im unsure how to get started i would race in the sunshine series as i am in t/bar
any help would be appreciated
cheers
harry

Attachments

hazza6542

Eats Squid
It should hold up fine for DH racing, maybe a new front fork with a full 203mm of travel would top it off.

nic1894

Likes Bikes and Dirt
it is fine i raced all last year with the same forks and there are people who race hard tail so any suspension in the back will only help out. as for the racing part join a club and get an mtba license and keep an eye out on two wheel promotions or on here as someone usually starts a thread with registration details oh and buy a full face if you don't already have one :D

slowmtb

Likes Bikes
Go for it bro, it will be sweet as to start out on. If you get the bug then think about sinking your hard earned $$$ on something full on then ;)

All the best :)

mhuth1

Likes Dirt
hey man i live in tbar as well and try to race as often as i can, the bike will stand up fine for racing. If your looking at joining the club go down the bottom of the forums page to the clubs section and then to the toowoomba mtb section, all the info about joining will be there. but if you don't feel the need to join u can just buy a day license on the two wheel promotions website when you register for the race.

T-Rex

Template denier
hey all i was wondering how my stinky would hold up for racing dh
it is a 2005 kona stinky it has 170mm on the front and unsure about the back
i really want to race but im unsure how to get started i would race in the sunshine series as i am in t/bar
any help would be appreciated
cheers
harry
IT's better than the bike I did my first DH race on - a 4" XC bike. Just ride your Stinky, it's more about the rider than the bike.

cam-o

Likes Bikes and Dirt
IT's better than the bike I did my first DH race on - a 4" XC bike. Just ride your Stinky, it's more about the rider than the bike.
Ha - whippersnapper. First season of DH was done on a HT with 1" of elastomer sprung fork and v brakes :p

Mate - your stinky will do the job nicely, don't change anything. Get a fullface helmet that fits properly and rip it up.

Harry14

Likes Dirt
cheers guys yeah i got a full face and fox shinnys
iv ridden all the tbar tracks so iv had a bit of practice
what about jerseys and stuff do you need all that gear or what
cheers
Harry

nic1894

Likes Bikes and Dirt
cheers guys yeah i got a full face and fox shinnys
iv ridden all the tbar tracks so iv had a bit of practice
what about jerseys and stuff do you need all that gear or what
cheers
Harry
nup dude i raced a couple of races in just my plain armor all you need is a bike a fullface a license some bar ends and money :D

plum163

Likes Dirt
You should be fine to race on that bike. If you maintain it properly you will hammer down the track. Just wear your protective gear and have fun.

chris95

Likes Dirt
Hi guys one more thing I had heard is that you must wear a full length jersey in races from now on.

T-Rex

Template denier
Hi guys one more thing I had heard is that you must wear a full length jersey in races from now on.
Yeah, I've heard that too..... just haven't seen it enforced. That said, long sleeves are a good idea when you are starting out, as is armour.

Harry14

Likes Dirt
how would a moto jersey go cause thats all i got in the case of jerseys.
also whats the go with bar ends just wondering.
and cheers for all your help
Harry

frdlvr

Likes Dirt
Your bike is well suited to race on, as 10 years ago 3 to 4 inch travel bikes was all you had..... And within Australia honestly we do not really need to 8 to 10 inch travel bikes our tracks are not as steep, technical and rough as tracks in North America, and Europe.

But for protection I would wear a long arm pressure suit or a short arm pressure suit with either shinnies or knee pads (I wear moto pants really as a second layer of skin as they save your legs when you come off),

Also a full face is a must, with goggles if you can afford them if not go to bunnings and buy some clear glass protective glasses they work well and fit well in your helmet.

With shoes, I think 5:10's are the best DH shoe but any skate shoe will be fine as they have good grip and will last a while.

My final bit of advise is wear gloves (I know some people disagree with me), because if you have a off your hands are the first thing that really hits the ground and a glove will in most cases save your hands.

Harry14

Likes Dirt
cheers iv got the following:
-fox launch shin gaurds
-09 661 evo fullface
-goggles
-gloves
-and a pair of nikes which are in my avatar pik

just wondering is it ok to race in a pair of shorts and any old t-shirt within reason that is
cheers Harry