Is the market forcing us to adopt 29ers?

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
People my height and under (<5'8") look hilarious on a 29er, and just seem to look unhappy and bitter,...while still trying to justify how awesome they are.
I reckon Willow Koerber looked pretty alright when she was riding 29ers :)

moorey

call me Mia
She's a hippy who pushes alternative medicine AND rides (rode?) a 29er...she's dead to me:smash:

moorey

call me Mia
Besides soul searching and spirit questing, I love many things about life. I collect crystals..... I love animal totems and their powers, feathers and their magic....I am thankful for all the spirit guides in my life...
Yeah, I'll be taking advice from that.....

I love the perfect Brazilian bikini
Then again, i could be wrong.....:eyebrows:

0psi

Eats Squid
I've only recently done the 29er thing and I'm sold. For XC and trail duties I think 29ers better suit the majority of riders and that's what it comes down to. Sure there are always going to be a few people that prefer 26" wheels but a manufacturer isn't going to lose money just to make a few people happy. As much as we like to think bike companies are run by idealist riders the fact of the matter is it's the pen pushing numbers guys that really make the calls.

Another consideration is the improvements in suspension technology. It wasn't too long ago that 6" travel bikes weighed as much as a buffalo and pedalled as well as a sack full of jelly babies. These days I think most people that who are riding 26" bikes would probably be happy with a longer travel trail bike given that the weight and efficiency penalty is so small these days. With that in mind the customer wanting a mid travel 26" bike has certainly become the niche, much like the 650b customer was a few years back.

nikmcc

Likes Dirt
I'm 6'5" and finally I can buy a bike (wheel size) that fits me... Hooray!
+1

Although I've not bought yet...

I reckon 26"for small frames.
29" for XL frames.

I think 26" should still be produced, the majority of mtb riders are too short for big wheels.

Personally I don't care about the sales pitches and hype about wagon wheels rolling better bla bla etc.., for me its all about bike fit.:D

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

Nautonier

Eats Squid
Some very interesting points raised. When ringing around trying to track down a 26" Stumpy, the 'hard sell' on the 29ers was out of control. It almost felt like they had been given a script. But yes, if 26ers were really that deficient, why are so many people still looking for them and why did they sell out so fast?

The reason I prefer a 26" trail bike is because I also ride DH and want to spend time on something similar with a low BB, COG etc. My 09 Stumpy has a very similar 'feel' to my Demo and I like the idea that my bike skills can cross over between trail and DH riding. I'm not interested in riding fast up hills or on the flat and I no longer race, so I'd rather keep the 'fun' factor of a capable trail bike.

I would consider a 650b, but why re-invent the wheel (literally)? It's like skiing and snowboading - if you're really good at skiing and really enjoy it, why would you take up snowboarding?

As for Specialized, they've lost me as a customer in the trail bike market. I'll still buy their DH bikes though, unless they start making them all 650b or something...

If anyone has a 2012 Stumpy they want to sell to fund a 29er please let me know...

nikmcc

Likes Dirt
The reason I prefer a 26" trail bike is because I also ride DH and want to spend time on something similar with a low BB, COG etc. My 09 Stumpy has a very similar 'feel' to my Demo and I like the idea that my bike skills can cross over between trail and DH riding. I'm not interested in riding fast up hills or on the flat and I no longer race, so I'd rather keep the 'fun' factor of a capable trail bike.
My thoughts exactly, which is one reason I'm not rushing into buying a 29er. (but, still looking forward getting one :D)

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

Mud Gecko

Likes Bikes
I must be one of the few that can't stand the feel of a 29er. It's hard to describe, dopey, goofy, clown like? I don't know, but I would go back to a 20" BMX bike or just stop riding if they stopped making 26" bikes. Maybe I'm not drinking enough kool-aid.....:wacko:

cameron_15

Eats Squid
Out of interest; are those sales for things you as a dealer of a brand have to keep in stock and on the floor or for special orders?
This is for both. We sold all the 2012 29ers we got in very quickly and had to order some more. We still have 26" bikes purchased at the same time sitting on the floor collecting dust and costing us money. Now, wholesalers are out of stock of just about every 2012 29er whilst they still have many 2012 and even 2011 26" high end mtb's.

I'm not making this up becuase I'm an advocate for 29ers (I'm a downhiller!!!). I'm simply telling you all the truth, some of you are having a hard time swallowing it. With 100% certainty, I can tell you that many wholesalers dumped (or are dumping) their 26" bikes at 30-50% off wholesale. Now, why the hell would they order more if they don't make money off them?

Now I'm going to say this one more time as people don't seem to understand...

High end 26" XC/Trail bikes did not sell out fast when compared to 29" bikes.

The market and industry is adapting to what the consumers are purchasing.

wavike

Likes Dirt
Now I'm going to say this one more time as people don't seem to understand...

High end 26" XC/Trail bikes did not sell out fast when compared to 29" bikes.

I currently ride an 09 Stumpy for XC and AM duties and after riding a 2012 Stumpy in Whister this year decided that I want to upgrade. After a vast amount of research and many phone calls to bike shops, I found that all of the (medium) 2012 Stumpy Comps have sold out in Australia. So I though I'd spend a bit more money and get a 2013 model. Not possible. In Australia they are only doing the 2013 Stumpy Comp in a 29er. I don't want a Stumpy Evo and I don't want to spend big bucks on a carbon Stumpy, so I'm going to have to look for another brand, which is a PITA because the 2012 Stumpy I rode was the best bike I've ever ridden for that kind of riding.

In the US they are still making a 26er Comp for 2013, why do they assume that we all want to switch to 29ers here?
Original post above - it's a Stumpy comp that we are talking about. Not high end. Different market. So stop importing High end 26ers if they don't sell, not the regular 3-4 k bikes that do sell and are wanted.

Last edited:

Loneryda

Likes Bikes
As far as I'm aware Aust is sorta like a left over market for a lot of companies, they bring out a glossy cataloge give it to the LBS and when the relevant worker orders from the cataloge they soon find out if it's available or not, Spesh aren't the only ones thats for sure. It's happened to me, "what you don't have any, no the customer doesn't want one of those"

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
Original post above - it's a Stumpy comp that we are talking about. Not high end. Different market. So stop importing High end 26ers if they don't sell, not the regular 3-4 k bikes that do sell and are wanted.
Cameron_15 - did mid-range 26ers follow the same pattern?

sedifus

Likes Dirt
Cameron_15 - did mid-range 26ers follow the same pattern?
Similar but not as pronounced. I think it's along the lines of everyone already had 26" wheels and when the 29ers established themselves people were looking for something new to try and bought them, and still are. The companies have taken note of that in the higher end market (and slowly more-so in the mid-low range) and are trying to grab that interest quick. 26" bikes have sold lackluster-ly this past season due to this lack of interest in my opinion (same old bikes, i'll try something new). We might see this even out in the next couple of years with the new factor of 29ers dying and the same might happen for 650b bikes. We'll have to wait and see i guess.

Its all economics. Apart from consumables, we all had 26" and occassionaly upgraded components.

You need a lot of incremental improvements with components to tempt someone to finally upgrade. Bring in new sales pitch, therefore new frames, new components etc, more sales revenue.

In a few years time there will be the next big thing, could be 650 or Puglsey style bikes we see now, and the big sales roll on again.

Just ride what you like and enjoy the biking experience.