Is this a warning for us?

Calvin27

Eats Squid
It's a joke. Strava is not perfect. There is one part in mt dandy tourist road that is particularly glitchy. Me and my mate have clocked 96kph there and our on bike speedo didn't even clock 70kph.

teK--

Eats Squid
They also use heatmap to find where people are riding illegal trails.

I think everyone just needs to keep their stats under wraps instead of publicising everything.

stirk

Burner
Don't share secrets on the public web.

Fucking stravachunt dickheads probably don't even care.

Being a fisherman I adhere to the code, "if I told you where I caught them I'd have to kill you"

Not literally of course, but you get the drift ;)

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Plenty of trails ride better the more people ride them- strava is a pretty good way of motivated people finding those trails that need to be ridden.

Too much paranoia here

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If you are comfortable with the size of your penis, and don't need to constantly measure it, you don't need Strava

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

MarioM

Likes Dirt
In the "Share everything" age?

Unfortunately unlikely.
100 % true what you say . Probably like the majority here I use strava as a tool for myself where I can see where I`m improving and what needs work as well as planning rides . I`d say they are already using strava over here to find where people are riding and putting a stop to some trails being ridden .

Z

Zaf

If you are comfortable with the size of your penis, and don't need to constantly measure it, you don't need Strava

Spot the guy without a KOM!

It's dishonest to employ these statistics for this purpose. Every trail out here gets raced on at some point, multiple times a year. These are marked off and signposted prior to race day to inform the general public to avoid them at scheduled hours. Taking these times, without the context of them, is completely dishonest.

Last edited by a moderator:

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
i didn't use while when starting rd riding, but once i became a more serious racer i used it to easily keep track of hours done & how i was travelling on diff segments. now mtb i use it al the time, mostly for the same reasons

rumour is both DELWP, and some motorbike users have also signed up - makes it easier for both of them to find our trails, :spy: or otherwise

you can just turn most rides to pvt

Flow-Rider

Burner
I believe you can opt out of allowing Strava to use your info for heat maps. You only have to look at the comparisons to see the fuckwittery b-liners that think they have a legit KOM.

GDonehue

Likes Dirt
I am actually not hugely concerned with DELWP and others using this to ID illegal trail use. If you take a chance, be prepared to pay the penalty has always been my view (and a lot of the time there is a reason why we are not supposed to ride there). I used strava a while back, but mainly as a way of finding trail heads in areas I had not ridden before or to record certain trial options, but there are tons of more efficient ways out there. There are a lot of folk out there who seem to blame Strava for the dickhead behaviour of some riders... actually I think you will find these folk were always dickheads and Strava just gave them a way to express that :)

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
Plenty of trails ride better the more people ride them- strava is a pretty good way of motivated people finding those trails that need to be ridden.

Too much paranoia here
I enjoy using it to see how I'm improving on regular runs/ segments I do. It's a motivating tool if you do a lot of riding by yourself I find.

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again

As a man comfortable with the size of his penis, i predominantly use strava to keep track of the K's I've put into components on my bike. It's a good way of seeing how much life I get out of chains/tyres and reminding myself to service suspension/dropper.

I'm never going to get a KOM but I still like to know how many K's I've done and that I'm faster than half the 6 million people who have also ridden a particular 200m section of train that I can never differentiate from every other 200m section people have turned into segments.

Last edited:

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member

Too much paranoia here

I've built trails over the years under permits before the Strava days. Some of those trails still exist but with no permit attached. The land managers have indeed been using Strava and other online sources to nail illegal riding and to pursue the people that they assume have been working on the trails illegally. Things like tagging yourself at a location on Facebook and attaching photos and descriptions of you and your mates madly shredding are a fucking menace to people who want the trails kept out of the eyes of the public. Trust me, it's happening and people are being put in some shit positions all because it's broadcast on the internet for all to see. Don't get me wrong, I often share photos of me riding in awesome spots but I'm very careful to only do it in places that are not going to come back to haunt me.
As for Strava, the fact that it is very public for anyone to see is shit. I'm all for mapping your ride and enjoying the numbers but it needs to be far more private and Strava need to be more responsible and remove segments that broadcast trail locations to people that shouldn't be on them.