Is this bike going to break on me

aero165

Likes Dirt
How much are they selling for?

Depending on your budget I'd look at a second hand STP 2,3 or similer

At the end of the day any bike will get you rolling and nearly all MTB parts are interchangeable so you could just up grade as you go :distrust:

MATTY R

Likes Dirt
at $198, You are going to be hard pressed to find a cheaper bike, new or 2nd hand. This bike will only really be ok for riding on a bike track or maybe fire roads.

whats your max budget?

Im not saying not to get one just remember its a department store bike, you will find its limits very quickly.

rone

Eats Squid
max budget as of right now 200$ then in 2 weeks i could do 100-150$ on upgrades but if i bought that diamondback i would prob only need to upgrade the braking system and rims i think the rest looks pretty good, brakes would prob be around 100$ and well rims im not sure (rims will oly get upgraded if they arent double wall)
Wait 2-3 weeks to buy a bike. Bike companies buy brakes and rims a lot cheaper than you can so you can get a much better specification for the price. Armed with $350, go to a bike store and try for a deal on a runout model. Go a hardtail as well. Dually in this price bracket will fail to meet your expectations, however low.

SMIIISH

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That bike will be heavy as sin. Guaranteed. You will also have zero durability and those rear shocks are absolutely useless. The obvious solution is to wait the 2 weeks, go to a bike shop and spend $400 on a half way decent bike straight off the mark. At this time of year you can get some great discounts on 2011 models as all of the 2012 stuff is starting to come in stock so shops are keen to clear out old stock.
I get SO MANY of these kinds of bikes coming through the door at work and people don't understand why a new bike is so rubbish. They usually spent $200 on something like this and then another $100 on repairs just trying and make good a pile of garbage. Save your money, don't waste it on a $200 Kmart special.

EDIT: I wouldn't bother with dual suspension unless you're entering the market with at least $1200. (Maybe less cash if you're buying 2nd hand). And that's why they're so much more expensive than this diamondcrack thing. Because you're investing in a suspension system which is actually desgined to work. Not just feel bouncy. There's a big difference.

Last edited:

SMIIISH

Likes Bikes and Dirt
These are what decent bikes in your price range look like. Difference? Reputable Manufacturer, lifetime warranty, a million times lighter than your silly diamondback, twice as strong as your silly diamondback. Decent resell value. You can actually ride these bikes after 150km. You should recieve free tune up services from your local bike store with it, it's built by a proper mechanic. Higher level componentry. It looks better, you don't look like a tool infront of anybody who knows half a thing about cycling.

Something like this:

Merida 10V: RRP$399 (less 20% $319.20)
http://www.merida.com.au/2011-bikes/mtb-hardtail/matts-recreation-series/matts-10-v.htm

Better still, (and worth the extra $80 for sure).

Merida Matts 20MD: RRP$499 (less 20% $399.20)
http://www.merida.com.au/2011-bikes/mtb-hardtail/matts-recreation-series/matts-20-md.htm

Last edited:

steve24

Likes Bikes and Dirt
A better question may be- is this bike going to break me? Maybe. or my spirit to ride it? Most likely.

Follow the above replies advice. Don't buy DS at this price point. Better to buy a good used SS that you could later add gears to.
Check the resale value of these kind of bikes on ebay compared to Giant /Merida etc.

DO NOT EVEN CONSIDER TO UPGRADE A SUPERMARKET BIKE!

Take a close look at the chainrings. Are they bolted on or fixed and so not replaceable. It is an 18 speed, so 6 speed cass. That means a new rear wheel if you want to run 8/9 or 10 speed. etc. etc.

Why not try putting a wanted ad here for what you want?

Check your local newspaper for older bikes that are in good cond.

Or if you are set on riding a supermarket bike, check your local hard rubbish, thats where they end up.

bpow

Likes Dirt
Recoils are not too bad but the problem is the ones they sell in Aus (Big W etc) are a cheap version of the original. So just another department store bike = cheap weak parts and frame! If you want a diamondback save another few grand and get a mission or sortie (see pic). he he.
I would look at second hand ones and beg, borrow but not steal to spend a little more. it will pay for itself later and you will have more fun on the trails. Good luck. Shopping for bikes is fun so enjoy!!

DB12_MissionPro.jpg

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Don't buy it, it is a shitbox regardless of what you'll do on it. The bikes are usually put together in a very basic manner and not intended for anything other than making youtube videos of it sitting still.
Go to www.bikeexchange.com.au and search the listings in your area for brands like Norco and Giant. They will retail cheaper with a better spec as they can mass produce the bikes.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Check out the for sale section on here for hardtails. You'll get a red hot buy in there for under $500. A Giant STP may be a good choice.

T-Rex

Template denier
What SMIISH said...

With mountain bikes under about $2k, you pretty much get what you pay for, and bikes in this price range are more or less the sum of their parts. And the quality of parts makes a big difference to the quality of your mountain biking experience.

That bike is a waste of $198. I'm not sure I'd even be prepared to ride it on the footpath to the shops to get the milk and paper, let alone on dirt or the "small stunts" you mention in your OP. I'd probably walk.

Specifically, the rear "shock" isn't a shock, it's a couple of sliding rods with a stiff spring wrapped around it, the cranks won't stand more than a couple of hard landings or a decent stack without bending, and the front tyre won't track in a corner even at moderate speed, because the fork has only friction damping capability. I seriously would not want to leave the ground on that bike, and I'm not much chop at jumping.

Given your budget, if you want to ride XC, get one of the hardtails that SMIISH recommended, Merida is a good brand. If you are serious about attempting some "stunts", get yourself a second hand hard tail jump bike like a Giant STP or similar, preferably NOT one owned by a teenaged male who's lack of fear and therefore abuse of the bike is matched only by his lack of money to maintain it properly.