Is this legal to have in my tool box???

Regan

Eats Squid
My brother recently purchased a ute that had this stashed in the glove box...along with a fencing sword and a weeks supply of number plates :confused: (was a very suss looking dude). Looks like something you're not suppose to have, but on closer inspection it's not spring loaded (the blade has to be manually pulled out) just looks like a switchblade...

Do you think this would be legal to have in your tool box? Or should I just turn it in to the cops because it was probably used to kill someone...:eek:

IMG_0054.JPG

Adamski

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Mate. I'd take the ute and all the accoutrements to your nearest station. They might want to have a look at it all, especially cross-referencing the plates with reported crimes. The knife is also classified as a prohibited weapon.

Give them the whole story of the sale too. I take it this wasn't an associate that you bought it off?

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Mate. I'd take the ute and all the accoutrements to your nearest station. They might want to have a look at it all, especially cross-referencing the plates with reported crimes. The knife is also classified as a prohibited weapon.

Give them the whole story of the sale too. I take it this wasn't an associate that you bought it off?
+1 you'd be suprised what you can get pinged for just for having this stuff if it turns out to be a suss as it sounds....

and by jeez, by jingo, by crikey, this sounds suss :eek:

Norco Maniac

Is back!
^^ good advice, get rid of this shite before you end up copping trouble for it. hopefully, you haven't added your prints to any of it?

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
wow ... people really do buy cars off ebay ...

I'm wondering if this is one of those "too good to be true" things.

The collection of number plates is what rings the bells for me ... given the obvious bad vibes, I'd talk to the men in Blue ... no harm in asking I would think.

IronPony

Likes Bikes
I purchased a hyundai excel off ebay for $700 and it's been awesome little car to fang to work in and cart bikes down to the trails.

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah I'd take it down to the station and get it checked out as well. What's the worst that can happen? I doubt Landon would end up going out of pocket if there's something wrong with it and it could potentially save some grief or bring something positive!

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
Accessory to the crime.

That shit sounds hot. I'd be following the above advice and handing that lot over to the proper authorities.

downhillar

Likes Dirt
to be honest with you, i would chuck the sword, knife and plates in a dumpster and never mention it to anyone again for a number of reasons.

one being that you probably wont see your car again for a few weeks/months, two the guy knows where you live from your transaction no doubt.

whether it's the right thing or the wrong thing to do is up to you, but i like to keep my mouth shut personally, that's just my opinion :)

Australia

Likes Bikes and Dirt
1. Do a REVS check (make sure the car isnt stolen, has outstanding fines etc) also make sure it has the correct set of plates on it

2. put a thick set of generic gloves on (Bunnings gardening gloves are ideal) and wipe your prints off all that stuff

3. buy a brand spanking new pack of common black garbage bags and put all the stuff in (dont even touch the outside of the bag without your gloves on

4. stick that shit in a 3/4 dumpster along way from your home

5. enjoy your new car which is now much lighter and thus faster and more fuel efficient because it isnt full of dodgy shit

Alternatively, if the REVS check throws up a red-flag... go directly to the cops, do not pass go, do not collect $200 and have the constable come out to the car and bag the evidence

taquar

Likes Dirt
1. Do a REVS check (make sure the car isnt stolen, has outstanding fines etc) also make sure it has the correct set of plates on it

2. put a thick set of generic gloves on (Bunnings gardening gloves are ideal) and wipe your prints off all that stuff

3. buy a brand spanking new pack of common black garbage bags and put all the stuff in (dont even touch the outside of the bag without your gloves on

4. stick that shit in a 3/4 dumpster along way from your home

5. enjoy your new car which is now much lighter and thus faster and more fuel efficient because it isnt full of dodgy shit

Alternatively, if the REVS check throws up a red-flag... go directly to the cops, do not pass go, do not collect $200 and have the constable come out to the car and bag the evidence
What he said.

But about illegal stuff in toolboxes, I have a filleting knife and a hatchet in my car, locked in a box in the back, but I go camping and fishing alot, so I can argue that they are for recreational use. Not too sure about the damn heavy stainless diving knife though... Never had my car searched, and cause it's been owned by my parents for 17 years, it's not dodgy. Yay for being legal!

apsilon

Likes Dirt
The knife is also classified as a prohibited weapon.
No it's not. It is classified as a POS however. Very cheap and poorly made copy of a decent Italian style stiletto switchblade and won't hold a decent edge which makes it useless for anything. Take the lot to the cops or toss it.

The number plates are a far bigger worry IMO.

DH - racer

Likes Dirt
to be honest with you, i would chuck the sword, knife and plates in a dumpster and never mention it to anyone again for a number of reasons.

one being that you probably wont see your car again for a few weeks/months, two the guy knows where you live from your transaction no doubt.

whether it's the right thing or the wrong thing to do is up to you, but i like to keep my mouth shut personally, that's just my opinion :)
you sir have a good point, this guy could get charged and want revenge on you for dobbing him in, and if he had a knife like that who knows what could happin. but then there are the other reasons aswell

do what you think is right :)

Bermshot

Banned
Agree with everyone to get the cops to suss it all all out. But if the sword checks out OK it should be your brothers property, keep that it could be worth something unless it's one of those cheapo ornaments.

Adamski

Likes Bikes and Dirt
No it's not. It is classified as a POS however. Very cheap and poorly made copy of a decent Italian style stiletto switchblade and won't hold a decent edge which makes it useless for anything. Take the lot to the cops or toss it.

The number plates are a far bigger worry IMO.
Those knives are a prohibited weapon in Victoria, it would class as a flick knife.

I agree on the number plates being the bigger issue though, who the hell goes about with a bunch of them if they aren't doing something illegal with them. Hell, stealing number plates alone is serious s**t.

apsilon

Likes Dirt
Those knives are a prohibited weapon in Victoria, it would class as a flick knife.
When did manual opening knives become classed as flick knives? I know customs have been classifying almost every folding knfe as flick knives but that's only in terms of importation, ownership is different.