Is titanium the new black?

Matt C

Likes Dirt
When did black die and begin to be reincarnated as other colours ? Every year a different colour is the new black. When was black actually black ?
That's it....i'm going to bed....*desk chair spinning*

Knut

Troll hunter
Titanium vs Aluminium vs Carbon

I had a steel bike which was my best friend. Then, I had a Team Alloy bike, handled like nothing else of its time and the accelleration was insane. The carbon bike was light and seemed to be quick. Then I bought an Ali Dual suspension bike which was all of these bikes and then some. Then I bought a hardtail ally bike which was as flighty as a kelpy on sale day. I have just bought a ti frame and it has all of the things that you ever wanted in a bike. Handling, accelleration and comfort, yet incredibly light. Even though all of my bikes have been very top end. Performance has been my reason for choice. Unfortunately, that usually comes with a price that suits. I notice now, that competitors and crew are looking toward another type of composite for frame strength and endurance. I will never understand the fascination with carbon. It is susceptable to UV and impact, unavoidable in this game. Ali has come forward in leaps and bounds and I can understand why an 11 year old frame design still rocks. But the ti is incredible. You should try and feel what I am saying for yourself.

a.davis12

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ti FTW!!!!!!!!!!!

im trying to add another Ti bike to my stable. trawling ebay for a frame.

having a Ti roadie is actually obscene. becuase the rear stays are springy i can put my foot down and it will accelerate like nothing else. farkin great.

thats all i have to say.

toby

Likes Dirt
meh.. flax is the new black, actually its the new white, which was the new black. Best thing being that you can burn it... feed it your animals, or better build a raft if your bike breaks.

"COFFEE"

beatlloydy

Likes Bikes
I'm glad others have this opinion. I have a Ti Merckz Litespeed Road bike that is over 10 years old and I love it dearly.

However, my LBS is pushing his carbon barrow saying Ti is for fat, old bastards and it just doesnt accelerate as fast as carbon.

Can the technically gifted please comment on this as I have seen a Lightspeed Sewanee I would love to purchase if I can sell my boat...just looks like a perfect all round racer for me as I am falling out of love with my Yeti 575 (a fat old bastard...well not that fat but could lose a few kilos).

rockydog

Likes Dirt
I had a steel bike ...Then, I had a Team Alloy bike.... The carbon bike was light and seemed to be quick...Then I bought an Ali Dual suspension bike ..... Then I bought a hardtail ally bike..... I have just bought a ti frame .
knut, you comparisons aren't that useful unless you tell us what bikes they are ... accelleration and handling are related to other stuff as well (eg. geo, suspension)
How about some more real-world discriptions of ti properties? I'd be interested in hearing how it compares to steel, for example.

Check out this nice page, compares various material properties on bikes;
http://www.strongframes.com/material_tech/specs/

Knut

Troll hunter
Titanium

Just noticed that trends have moved away from carbon. Everything was made of that stuff. It is so cheap to fabricate yet so expensive at our end. Aluminium has come a long way in such a short time due to the pressures of carbon dominating the market. I am seeing people turn toward new alloys now.

That link was pretty cool, thanks.

Unfortunately, most manufacturers these days name their tubing something else, depending on glue or process. But Scandium is cool gear, Alcoa make an equivelent, I am not sure what they call it, something else? My time riding and racing on new Ali bikes has been great. I would never go back to carbon. But I rode a Ti bike and really loved it. Just wondering if anyone else has had that experience.

I can't answer the steel frame one, the last steel bike I had was a DEAN in 1997. But Ti kind of has that feel, if that makes sense. But now the coponents are worlds apart, so its like comparing squares to rounds.

Last edited:

Lanky Love

Likes Dirt
IMO and from what i have read in this thread it sounds like, Ti is a very good frame material and will become increasingy popular in high end XC and road bikes. However, carbon has not been pushed away. Carbon frames can be a heap of shit or they can be amazing, it just depends on design and the quality of construction. Carbon can be manipulated to have many properties from the super light stiff frames that Scott and specialized have produced, to the flexy properties of the Cannondale Scaple? and maney other 0 pivot dualys and softtails. Titanium can not be manipulated as much (from what i know) and is probably not useful in stiffer frames (eg, track/ timetrial and dualys). Due to weight restrictions, steel and alumnium are not going to be used in many performance bikes despite their excelent qualities.

Cruz

Likes Dirt
I have owned a number of steel frames from 4130 GT Tequesta, 5120 Tequesta, 5120 DMR Switchback, 853 Norco Team, Origin tubing Seven Sola, Columbus tubing Cove Handjob and now a Lynskey Custom Ti.

The Lynskey is easily the best riding hardtail I have ever ridden and is definitely more compliant than any of my other bikes. Closest to it would be the Norco Team though it is still a noticeable difference.

The Lynskeys smooth ride and springiness when you put the foot down is also very noticeable. Whether this is all to do with the frame matrial or aso the frame design and angles is another story, plus how each bike is specced.

krizbike

Likes Dirt
Interested in the opinion below that Ti is no good for duallys due to being not stiff enough?
I am currently contemplating my next bike being a Titus titanium dual sus. I currently ride a very light scandium hardtail. Great bike, but I'd love a bit of cushioning on those 6 hour endurance rides. :)

ETSX

Likes Dirt
Interested in the opinion below that Ti is no good for duallys due to being not stiff enough?
I am currently contemplating my next bike being a Titus titanium dual sus. I currently ride a very light scandium hardtail. Great bike, but I'd love a bit of cushioning on those 6 hour endurance rides. :)
A ti titus? I have been drooling over them for a while now. I think getting one you would be buying a bike that would almost outlast you ;).

As far as carbon goes, great for racing, performace everything else. But I just can't see myself getting one soon. I think they need to prove they can last before people will start trusting them and spending the extra $$$. There is just too much speculation about how fragile they are. But I think they are last better than what most expect and proberly will last just as well as most aliminium bikes.

MrCove

South Shore Distribution
just sold my Ti Cove Hummer, just a fantastic bike in so many ways
, not really sure why i sold it!!!!!

Cruz

Likes Dirt
I wouldn't say it is no good but it's best properties are not needed on a full suspension bike. I do not see the need to own a Ti full sus bike at all other than possible longevity of the frame.