Isopropyl alcohol OR Acetone?

kidafa

Likes Dirt
well as the thread title suggest's im wondering what solvent i should buy out of Isopropyl alcohol OR Acetone?What do you guys think? I want to use the stuff for cleaning brakes and pads and servicing 06 boxxers as it says you need to use Isopropyl alcohol for cleaning... Woudl acetone be ok for this? Do you guys have a better succesrate with brakes with Isopropyl alcohol OR Acetone?

Cheers,

Chris

toodles

Wheel size expert
Don't use acetone for cleaning anything plastic or foam. It will melt it! So yeah, alcohol/metho is the way to go for cleaning brake pads. You shouldn't need anything harsher than a citrus degreaser for your forks.

custard

Banned
acetone for brake pads.... put it on and burn it.....

works bloody well.

for forks... yeah a hose and some loving normally does the trick

MUGEN

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Mate, if fuckn sram says to use isoprpyl then use it. At least if it fucks up that way you can go back for warranty haha.

dhd

Downhill Direct
My faves are Isopropyl alcohol and Citrus. Both are excellent cleaners and as far as I know have no detrimental effects to anything except removing grease/oil/crap.
Acetone on the other hand will eat plastic and probably stuff any paint it comes into contact with. Acetone is a common paint thinner and is also used as your girlfriends (or boyfriends) nail polish remover. Basically it's too harsh.

After using alcohol make sure you re-lube everything as it really does dry stuff out big time.

Alcohol is the best for cleaning disc rotors.

toodles

Wheel size expert
It really comes down to whether you prefer orange juice as a mixer, or coke. I find the acetone is definitely the way to go for coke.

scars

Likes Bikes
Acetone will quite happily root your stickers and paint given the chance too. With my last bike I could not figure out why my hfx9 brakes kept squealing and requiring so much cleaning. Turns out it was all my fault for being such a dickhead. I used to grab the meguiars car wash and lovingly wash the bike off. Never occured to me that there was wax in it lol. Since I got my new bike (same model brakes) I just wash it with dish liquid instead and they have been PERFECT the whole time.