Its time ... WWII movie classics

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
I've been watching "Saving Private Ryan" (SPR) and "Band of Brothers" (BoB) over the last few nights and man ... those two major battles in SPR and the openning shoot out for the arty in BoB were just incredible.

Anyway, I'm looking for more obscure classics as I've seen shite loads over the years ... but have at it and relive the classics.

My favs
Kelly's Heroes - Clint, Donald Sutherland ... the first inspiration to paintball to my mind ... modern rip off - Three Kings
The Battle of the Bluge - Tanks, your welcome.
The Dirty Dozen - the best example of prisoner reform I've ever seen
Tora Tora Tora - The Yellow Peril (Australian War Time propaganda at its best) come down from the north.
The Bridge Too Far - Star studded extravaganza
The Great Escape - got me into baseball and motor bikes ... best theme song / tune ever ... well only second to Star Wars
Empire of the Sun - Spielberg knows how to do war movies ... a Young Batman, Christian Bale is fanastic in this.

Last edited:

RCOH

Eats Squid
Enemy at the Gate - 2 snipers try & get each other during battle of Stalingrad. Ace movie.

Drop_Bear

Likes Bikes
Battle of the bludge huh ? Sounds like you've been watching Big Brother.

Hamburger Hill is a classic, Catch 22, Platoon, Battle of Britain, The Guns of Navarone, Full metal jacket and for shear historical accuracy Missing in Action 2.

Edit: The longest day!

J@se

Breezeway Bandit
Heroes of Telemark.

Truly remarkable, tough and brave men. My all-time favorite war movie.

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
Battle of the bludge huh ? Sounds like you've been watching Big Brother.

Hamburger Hill is a classic, Catch 22, Platoon, Battle of Britain, The Guns of Navarone, Full metal jacket and for shear historical accuracy Missing in Action 2.

Edit: The longest day!
Hamburger Hill, Platoon and Full Metal Jacket are Vietnam bro.

Memphis Belle (favorite all time movie)
The Battle of Britain
The Battle of Midway
Tora! Tora! Tora!
In Harms Way
The Desert Rats
Von Ryans Express
The Blue Max
The Young Lions
Patton
12' O'clock high
The Dam busters
Mosquito Squadron (On Channel 7 the weekend just gone)
The 1000 Plane Raid (really crappy story but a good view never the less)[/B]
The Tuskegee Airmen (now THAT is a war movie)
..just to name a few!

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
heee heeee ... opps ... bluge, bludge ... same same ...

Couple of Vietnam flicks in there but thats OK ... I'm sure I'll be watching those pretty soon :p ... and how could I forget Battle of Britian ... I'll add The Dam Busters in there too

None WWII movie ... The Beast ... Soviet Tank wanders around Afghanistan

The bombing scene ... in Enemy at the Gates was pretty good CGI

In A Beautiful Life ... the part of the story where he has to continually embellish his stories to his kid was great ... and I know how difficult it is to make up stories to your kids, as I try to tell my daughter a new story every night ... bloody hard ... and she always pics up when I change something :cool:

Ango ... I have seen these, and I thought I'd seen the lot ... cool
In Harms Way
Von Ryans Express I may have seen this ??
The Blue Max
The Young Lions
12' O'clock high I'm sure I've seen this ?? but can't remember
The 1000 Plane Raid (really crappy story but a good view never the less) ... hmmmmmm, are you sure ?
The Tuskegee Airmen (now THAT is a war movie)

Jase: Heroes of Telemark ... is that the one where they have to blow up the experimental nuclear lab (I think it was nuclear) ...

Can any of you remember the Movie with a young George Papard (sp) with a gondola ??? not sure if it was "The Eagles have Landed

Last edited:

r00fi

Squid
Flyboys - about US guys signing up to be French aviators in WWI

Beautiful Dreamer - complete vomit. It's worth getting out just to see how bad the B-24 CGI is. Some real B-24 footage but not much.

Last edited:

Mammy

Likes Dirt
A bridge too far is the absolute duck's gutz, one of my all-time faves.
I'm also a fan of The thin Red Line – came out same time as Saving private ryan but it is decidely ethereal in tone.
Schindlers list as well is up there, as is the pROn equivalent, Schindler's Fist.

TheBofh

Likes Dirt
Hope and Glory - set during the blitz in London, semi-autobiographical account of director John Boorman's experiences.

Moggio

Likes Bikes and Dirt
To me one of the essentials is "Stalag 17". Not maybe the most action but brilliant war movie.

J@se

Breezeway Bandit
Jase: Heroes of Telemark ... is that the one where they have to blow up the experimental nuclear lab (I think it was nuclear) ...

Can any of you remember the Movie with a young George Papard (sp) with a gondola ??? not sure if it was "The Eagles have Landed
Yeah its where they parachute into Norway to blow up a heavy water manufacturing plant that the Germans were using in their atomic bomb program.

Was it Where Eagles Dare? Did it have Clint Eastwood in it?

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
:)
Hope and Glory - set during the blitz in London, semi-autobiographical account of director John Boorman's experiences.
Is that Charlie Boorman's Dad ?? (ie, Long way round, Paris Dakar)

I'm also a fan of The thin Red Line – ...
Schindlers list as well is up there, as is the pROn equivalent, Schindler's Fist.
Heee heee ... Schindler's Fist is on the List ...
I have Thin Red Line waiting for me at home and some spare time ... Theres another one related to the Pacific ... something Tiger or Tiger something :eek: ??? I think it has Sean Penn involved as well (either directing or staring in ??) ... anyone ... Bueller ?

Flyboys - about US guys signing up to be French aviators in WWI
I think I've seen that ... with Gary Cooper I think ?

Yeah its where they parachute into Norway to blow up a heavy water manufacturing plant that the Germans were using in their atomic bomb program.

Was it Where Eagles Dare? Did it have Clint Eastwood in it?
yeah ... heavy water ... thats the one I remember.

I don't think Clint was in the one I was thinking off ... but I do remember that one you've mentioned (got an image of his face in my head shooting with a silencer in a German Uniform... with typical Dirty Harry mug ... so versatile an actor :))

TheLunchbox

Likes Dirt
Indiana Jones and the last crusade had bits and pieces of WWII but the movie was more or less about the holy grail. I like that film.

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
I'll pay the Indiana Jones flicks ... well two of them anyway ... I still can't work out how he managed to stay alive as a stow away on a Sub though :rolleyes:

Apparently a new one coming out soon ?

jackmac91

Likes Dirt
+1 for enemy at the gates.
anyone else seen flags of our fathers? Not a classic as its fairly new.
It has a different spin on WW2 than most movies. More to do with the after effects of war on soldiers.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
+1 for enemy at the gates.
anyone else seen flags of our fathers? Not a classic as its fairly new.
It has a different spin on WW2 than most movies. More to do with the after effects of war on soldiers.
I think Flag of our Fathers and Letters from Iwo Jima betwen them are definitely classics. I haven't been pulled at the heart strings like that since Thin Red Line.

I-AM-TEH-FASTEST-11

Blitzkrieg Films
Kokoda anyone?

Best ww2 movie, for aussies especially, I've ever seen. The cinemetographer is even a mountain biker, and a truely nice guy.
No over the top action, no heroes no hollywood love stories or anything to amp it up. The cinemetography is second to none in it's class, and it really captures the aussie nature.

The bridge of the river Kwai (hope I got that title right)
awesome movie (for Alec Guniess alone)

The thin red line is a masterpiece, and is probably one the more superior war pieces out. The story is nice and gives us more of a reason to hate war, unlike Saving Private Ryan which glamorises it (even though some people consider it anti-war I think most people get super-excited watching it). TTRL is more of an anti-war film, but still was forced to lose a bit of it's message (in editing) to make it more marketable. The orginal cut was far, far longer.

The great escape is cool, but only cause my grandfather was actually there and part of the escape commitee.. all in all the movie horrified him as he got to witness the murders of 50 of his closest friends all over again. (he was on the orginal 100 list to execute of which was cut down to 50).

Mephis Belle is a really nice story but the inaccuracies on the film ruin it. The crew did amazing things for their age, but Hollywood couldn't settle for amazing so they crammed it all together and threw in some other different crews and made a nice story. Totally cool movie none the less.

The dirtwater dynasty is also a semi-ww2 war flick as it plays a part in this amazing mini-series. A young Hugo Weaving totally owns the role here. Seriously worth checking out.