J3's and J5's

Hey guys,

Yesterday I rode my friend's bike and I was comparing his brakes (J5's) to my ones (J3's), and I noticed that his were more touchy than mine, and mine were re-bled 2 weeks ago. So I was just wondering if it is normal for J5's to be more touchy than J3's

Thanks

Ham

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Depends on what brake pads and the condition, there could be contaminents on the brake pad or rotor hence more or less touchy.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Threads about parts 'n stuff go in the Parts 'n Stuff section.

Moving for you now.

Captain Sensible

Likes Dirt
Touchy. I get touchy sometimes. Maybe the brakes were just feeling sensitive, so they were touchy. I'd describe my Juicy 5's as "shit" rather than "touchy". My XTR's are sensitive and hence "touchy", because if you touch then, they start working. This is in contrast to my shit Juicy 5's. But I reckon Juicy 5's work better than Juicy 3's, and maybe you'd call that touchy?

By the way does anyone know if you can still get pads for Avid Juicy brakes? I heard, somewhere, that they were discontinued.

Last edited:

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
Juicy Fives use metallic pads as standard while Juicy Threes use resin. The pads alone could acount for a bit more 'bite'...

Shredden

Knows his goats
Touchy. I get touchy sometimes. Maybe the brakes were just feeling sensitive, so they were touchy. I'd describe my Juicy 5's as "shit" rather than "touchy". My XTR's are sensitive and hence "touchy", because if you touch then, they start working. This is in contrast to my shit Juicy 5's. But I reckon Juicy 5's work better than Juicy 3's, and maybe you'd call that touchy?
Ummmm, wah?

Captain Sensible

Likes Dirt
Ah, the pleasant incompatability of this forum and sarcastic prose. Nonetheless:

XTR brakes are nothing but a nightmare and of course I do my best to justify the financial incompetancy that drove me to purchase them in preference to the less "touchy" Juicy 3's.

If they weren't recalling the Juicy range I'd try and custom fit a pair of J3 pads to my XTR's to eliminate their performance, oops, I mean "touchy" feely-ness. Unless you can still get Juicy pads?

Do I need to put some sort of smilies in here? :D:eek::eek::rolleyes:;)

Wellsey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ah, the pleasant incompatability of this forum and sarcastic prose. Nonetheless:

XTR brakes are nothing but a nightmare and of course I do my best to justify the financial incompetancy that drove me to purchase them in preference to the less "touchy" Juicy 3's.

If they weren't recalling the Juicy range I'd try and custom fit a pair of J3 pads to my XTR's to eliminate their performance, oops, I mean "touchy" feely-ness. Unless you can still get Juicy pads?

Do I need to put some sort of smilies in here? :D:eek::eek::rolleyes:;)
Couple of things dude -

First, the forum is plenty compatible with sarcastic prose; we have heaps of members who are very good at it and hence also very entertaining. Unfortunately, you are not one of them. An entertaining sarcastic narrative doesn't need smilies.

Secondly, since when are Juicy's being recalled?

flamshmizer

Likes Dirt
juicy 3's also have a slightly different caliper design, i'm not sure if the piston is different but that may account for some power loss as well.

Gruntled

Likes Dirt
Couple of things dude -

First, the forum is plenty compatible with sarcastic prose; we have heaps of members who are very good at it and hence also very entertaining. Unfortunately, you are not one of them. An entertaining sarcastic narrative doesn't need smilies.

Just for the record, Captain Sensible might have been on this forum before. I already know you appreciate my postings, nor, of course, his. Ah the simple pleasure of using three commas with three words. I shall return to being sensible and cease my drunken-boken-boned rantings.

Cheers, Dude.

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
juicy 3's also have a slightly different caliper design, i'm not sure if the piston is different but that may account for some power loss as well.
No. Caliper design is the same. Only differences are that the J3 lacks the adjustable 'banjo fitting' on the caliper, the reservoir design differs slightly, pads are organic rather than metallic (sintered) and there is more alleged plastic internally though the latter, I wouldn't really know.

The Juicy Three is at the end of the day, an entry-level brake and sits below the Five in the grand scheme of things.

shane_2Kona

Likes Dirt
Try taking out your wheel (Make sure there is space betwenn your disc and pads first and no buckle in your disc) and squeezing your lever a bit. This will pull the pistons closer together. You may need to re-align the caliper when you do this.

flamshmizer

Likes Dirt
No. Caliper design is the same. Only differences are that the J3 lacks the adjustable 'banjo fitting' on the caliper, the reservoir design differs slightly, pads are organic rather than metallic (sintered) and there is more alleged plastic internally though the latter, I wouldn't really know.

The Juicy Three is at the end of the day, an entry-level brake and sits below the Five in the grand scheme of things.
Ah, ok thanks for that.

Fisher

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Try taking out your wheel (Make sure there is space betwenn your disc and pads first and no buckle in your disc) and squeezing your lever a bit. This will pull the pistons closer together. You may need to re-align the caliper when you do this.
Be very careful that you don't lock up your pads though! :eek:

Last edited: