Japan Earthquake

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
I find it strange that something as volatile as a nuclear reactor can be affected in such a way
Two words. Murphy's Law.

There are/were plans in place in case an event happened, hence why the reactors shut down when the earthquake occurred. Nuclear fission however, isn't phased by such events and continues regardless...

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I did a quick google search, but what actually happened with the damage outcome etc?

Reports say the nuclear leak still hasn't been fixed - but does anyone have any other news?

3viltoast3r

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I did a quick google search, but what actually happened with the damage outcome etc?

Reports say the nuclear leak still hasn't been fixed - but does anyone have any other news?
Heard of the local news over dinner it has started leaking into the ocean - Big concerns are over the effect upon seafood.

Spanky_Ham

Porcinus Slappius

The pig is packed and waiting to go to japan, leaving in a few weeks... once this work is over... wooosh... yeah yeah, say Chernobyl and get a kick in the balls...

The situation with Fukushima Reactors 1-4 is still pretty precarious, and there appears to be a direct leak (containment lost in number 2?) into the sea..... problem is, they need to keep cooling, but need to avoid spilling crap into the ocean. Apparently they are about to try Dye tracing..... but, expect that it will take several months to calm the fark down.. still, unless your tempted to go swimming off fukushima... prob not too much to worry about right now..

places to review data.... tepco.co.jp, this is the company that runs the facility, Bravenewclimate - seems to have 'some' news on it (can be a bit pro nuclear, but atleast its moderated) , Kyodo World news (great resource), NHK World (a bit sensationalist we think)... http://www.iaea.org/ International atomic energy..... also http://spectrum.ieee.org/static/japans-earthquake-and-nuclear-emergency the IEEE (bunch of f*cking engineers, we hate enineers!) have some good data too...

If you find any good web sites, we'd be interested to hear about it..

Oh, there's ALOT of bad information out there too......

s

fallboy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I was in Tokyo for the earthquake. On podium level at Oimachii station.... F*cking terrifying. I will be back in Japan on Thursday, flying into Fukuoka and making my way up to Tokyo.

I think that now a bit order has been restored that Tokyo will be safe enough.

Thanks for the links Spanky, I had just been looking at NHK. It is amazing how varied the stories are. Some journalists just should not be allowed near stories like this. If they dont understand it why the f*ck are they writing about it.

workmx

Banned
I have family living in Japan (they live in a Northern Japan within 14km of the Kashiwazaki Nuclear Power Station).

Needless to say that the ongoing problems with Fukushima Dai-Ichi are worrying.

What will the future hold for Fukushima Dai-Ichi? How long will it take to decommission the plant? What ongoing problems will the meltdown cause? Any ideas?

Fukushima--beyond urgent

Eleven minute piece on the ongoing calamity, and future horrors, of Fukushima. Yet again Tepco is not disclosing anything like the full story. If you don't want to do 11 minutes, spin forward to the last 5. Watch it here. Hold onto your balls.
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=040_1384817880

[video]www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiBVBdM77s4[/video]

Last edited:

Spanky_Ham

Porcinus Slappius
I have family living in Japan (they live in a Northern Japan within 14km of the Kashiwazaki Nuclear Power Station).

Needless to say that the ongoing problems with Fukushima Dai-Ichi are worrying.

What will the future hold for Fukushima Dai-Ichi? How long will it take to decommission the plant? What ongoing problems will the meltdown cause? Any ideas?
The pig lives about 300km from Fukashima Dai ichi, and he is concerned, not worried. The decommissioning will take 40 years, or so says the people doing it. The site seems to be under some sort of control and they have started moving the fuel from the pool in the damaged reactor to a communal cooling pool. The first rods were removed last month and will be completed in a few months.

TEPCO is doing no good with its PR, that's obvious - and its just helping the fear mongers get their dose of... well, fear. The pig in an alcohol fueled swearing rant could do better PR than those morans.

The big issue is the continual need to cool and contain the contaminated water, video was released from inside the reactor where there is a leak from the suppression ring into the basement. But how to stop it? The pig thought of offering them some stans sealant to pour in the phukr to see if that helped... but his japanese is shite.

The video mentioned if there was another earthquake the whole thing would go critical, well, there has been a but load of biggish ones recently and no nuclear cloud has passed this way....

The pig just cant work out why there is no large reverse osmosis water purification going on. Eventually they`ll run out of space to keep that contaminated water....

Anyone coming to Japan for skiing this season? You might see the pig sliding down a snowy slope with a snowboard if your in Hakuba..... (note - sliding with board, not on board)

S

my02

Likes Dirt
Anyone coming to Japan for skiing this season? You might see the pig sliding down a snowy slope with a snowboard if your in Hakuba..... (note - sliding with board, not on board)
'scuse my ignorance but is Hakuba anywhere near Niseko? We're heading there in early January.

With that in mind, is it a fair assumption that DH goggles wouldn't be suited to skiing (even with a tinted lens)? I think ski goggles are double lensed so DH would probably fog up right…..?

Spanky_Ham

Porcinus Slappius
'scuse my ignorance but is Hakuba anywhere near Niseko? We're heading there in early January.

With that in mind, is it a fair assumption that DH goggles wouldn't be suited to skiing (even with a tinted lens)? I think ski goggles are double lensed so DH would probably fog up right…..?
Near?? No, Niseko is in Hokkaido the northern most island of Japan. Hakuba is in the middle of the biggest island. The pig has heard that Niseko has awesome snow.. so enjoy it.

and yes, DH goggles dont work..... if you have any questions about Japan, feel free to message the pig!

S

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
From my experiences in Japan over the last few years, Niseko is closer to Bali than it is Hakuba.

Hakuba and Niseko both have lots of snow.

Your bike goggles will be totaly useless. Get a top shelf set of snow goggles in an orange or yellow lense. You are likely to experience a lot of snow, cloud, snow, mist, snow...tint is a hinderance. And foggy lenses suck the bags! My handy tip - buy 2 sets of goggles. That way if you have mist issues (even expensive goggles sometimes fog up when you are in a snow storm that drops an entire austrlain season of snow in 24hrs) you can make a quick goggle change and ride on. You dont want to go all that way to waste premium snow time wishing you dodnt have crap goggles, and your buddies will hate it too!