Jensons USA shipping costs?

StInKy LoVeR

Likes Dirt
Hey guys,

just looking on jensons for some parts. Just calculated postage for a wheelset and it was $230. Also a frame was about $250 postage. Anyone know why these prices are so steep compared to chain reaction? Is it over a certain amount that they charge less? any loop holes? cheers

CraigS

Likes Dirt
Is that quoted price Fed Ex? I ordered a new pair of SPD's for my wife last week from JensonUSA, ordered Wednesday morning, delivered to my door Friday morning. Very good delivery with updated tracking through the whole delivery process. Chain reaction's cheaper delivery is through Parcel force "mail" system that ends up coming through Australia Post which can take forever, (I've had deliveries take between one week and 4 weeks to arrive from CRC). You get what you pay for.

evObda2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Im not a fan of buying complete laced up wheels from overseas (unless there like deemax where you dont have much choice really).

Im always more inclined to buy the rims and hubs from overseas, then get it laced by my wheel builder over here. Will turn out a much better wheelset and and there's no chance of any damage or spoke problems then.

chumbox

Likes Bikes
Hey guys,

just looking on jensons for some parts. Just calculated postage for a wheelset and it was $230. Also a frame was about $250 postage. Anyone know why these prices are so steep compared to chain reaction? Is it over a certain amount that they charge less? any loop holes? cheers
Apart from the fact that they use door to door couriers instead of a more regular style of postage, Australia has trade agreements with the UK which allow for the cheaper movement of goods with reduced taxes and shipping.

This is why for instance if you purchase from OnOne you will notice the tax disappears when you enter Australia, or if you purchase from CRC or Wiggle they have shipping caps as they are able to move stuff for considerably less cost thanks to these agreements. We have trade agreements with the USA but not covering us to the same degree as the UK.

In some cases US dealers just don't want the hassle of international shipping as they don't require the business so they hike up the package costs, but this is rare.

I have purchased a seatpost from Jenson with $30 shipping and a wad of stuff from Wiggle with free shipping. Delivery time was quicker with Jenson but only by about 3 days. I only buy from the USA if it's on sale otherwise the UK tends to win out thanks to shipping costs.

Last edited:

miko

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Jenson is good for smaller stuff, but if you want a full wheelset I think chainreaction is probably the only way to go. Spend a little more and you can get free shipping. I think they're just have the volume to get away with it. I've had one of their built sets for a few years now and it has been awesome.

I've not found any loop holes with Jenson, the price just seems to keep going up.

StInKy LoVeR

Likes Dirt
ok thanks for the suggestion guys, I also would not buy complete laced wheels but they have a good deal on some dt swiss wheels. Nevermind, chain reaction is the go.

I have purchased a seatpost from Jenson with $30 shipping and a wad of stuff from Wiggle with free shipping. Delivery time was quicker with Jenson but only by about 3 days. I only buy from the USA if it's on sale otherwise the UK tends to win out thanks to shipping costs.
How long did Wiggle take chumbox? I am awaiting a delivery that was despatched on the 3rd of Feb and wondering whether it will get here this week or next.

crazyjose

Likes Dirt
jensonusa

I have bought from Jenson, sometimes they are cheaper for parts sometimes than chain reaction,
you just have to buy wisely, freight from the US for large items is epensive and they prices went
up last year, substantially. I bought a XL Cannodale frame in 2007 and it cost 115 for freight, last year
I bought a XL Yeti and it cost 280 for freight, and that was broken down. I tend to shop between a
number of shops and ebay to get the best deal. FEDEX has the best traking so far.

cheers

Adrian

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
Have you had a look at the wheelcraft service and products offered by dirtworks?
It's local, you can custom mix and match your wheel spec and order, and dirtworks will send them to your LBS for pickup.

They sound like they are on the money when it comes to quality control, and you wouldn't have any international warranty issuses should your spokes get mangled in transit.

Just a thought.

http://www.dirtworks.com.au/newsite/content/view/240/168/

ACiDIC

Squid
i thought jensons freight cost was reasonable. ordered everything to build a bike except frame and forks, ie wheelset, tyres cranks, bars, shifters, F+R drs, cassette, cables etc etc and they charged me about 85usd all up fedex