Jerrabomberra trails

dbm081

Likes Bikes
Just wondering if anyone knows of any maps for the area for the heap of single trail out the back of jerrabomberra.

I'm discovering more & more each week, but would be curious to hear from anyone who rides in the area.

Lanky Love

Likes Dirt
where do you go to start riding them? are they good tracks (jumps, switchbacks, well beuilt) or just walking type tracks going mainly in a straight line? Ive heard of them before but didnt think they were worth riding.

Lanky Love

Likes Dirt
Wow, they are actual proper tracks by the looks of things. Might have to make my way out there sometime. Are they all legal? mabey CORC should have a look at doing a race there.

72Fury

Likes Dirt
mabey CORC should have a look at doing a race there.
CORC used to run races in this area in the mid to late 90's. The track was called pipeline. It was a fun course back then. The trails on the map are most likely more recent but surely some of the old single track still exists further around the mountain.

Bucket Master

Canberra Off-Road Cyclists
I Knew

I have ridden there once and thought it was a hoot, but sorry, the tracks are not legal

Several CORC members live out that was and ran a social ride there once (2007). The local resident assoication threatend legal action, believed that mountain bikers are the route of all evil and...well you get the picture

CORC wrote to both the JRA and the council but to no avail. This is an area that has great potential but there are not enough people to fight that battle.

Shame really

Ezreal2001

Likes Bikes
Wow, they are actual proper tracks by the looks of things. Might have to make my way out there sometime. Are they all legal? mabey CORC should have a look at doing a race there.
The map's a bit out of date but there is a nice single track network out.
And no, it's not legal to ride.

Saddly the local fun police http://www.jra.asn.au/ have a huge bias against any activity which might be more strenuous than walking :(

Astro Boy might have some details on the fall out from CORC's last social ride out there.

dbm081

Likes Bikes
Thanks for the map scbullit! Looks like I have only just scraped the surface of what's there. Found a pretty good run which is about 9km from start to finish, but guess I'll have to check out some of those other trails.

AJMJerra

Cannon Fodder
Latest maps for Stringybark Hill

scbullit,

I understand that there have been some amendments in the past two years to the map. I have a hard copy of V5.0, now 8 months old. Do you know where I can obtain the latest version of the Jerra maps?

I have been riding there in the last week and have noticed that the recent weather has caused some overgrowth to some parts of the tracks. Recommend long sleeves.

scbullit

Likes Dirt
scbullit,

I understand that there have been some amendments in the past two years to the map. I have a hard copy of V5.0, now 8 months old. Do you know where I can obtain the latest version of the Jerra maps?

I have been riding there in the last week and have noticed that the recent weather has caused some overgrowth to some parts of the tracks. Recommend long sleeves.
Sorry - I don't know of a more current map, and I haven't actually ridden out there for I while, so I am no help to you...

FLOYD1

Likes Dirt
sweet trails at jerra

I have been riding out there over the Xmas brake and there are some magical little trails out thereI still get a little disorintated now and then but all trails seem to link up eventually. If any are keen for a ride just Pm me

awin

Squid
Jerrabomberra Mountain bike trail review

Hey all,
I've been riding the Jerra trails recently over the last few weekends, and it's not too bad. I've done it about 4 times now and am getting more familiar with them.
Reading through the previous posts, I think it is fine to ride your bike here. There are signs from the council saying that it is. So I doubt anyone will have an issue with it.
The trails do need a bit of work and I have started to slowly place markers on the ground to make forks in the road easier to find. The trails are a bit overgrown as well, so I would advise to wear some long sleeves, and sunnies.
There are some challenging parts, both physically and technically, but also some nice flowing ones as well. If I didn't have my iPhone with GPS, I probably wouldn't have been as adventurous.
The tracks are definitely suited to the dually, and in particular Trail type bikes (e.g. Giant Trance). There are some drop off's too, so take it easy. Hope this post helps and I see more riders out there.

spiderpig

Likes Dirt
Hey all,
I've been riding the Jerra trails recently over the last few weekends, and it's not too bad. I've done it about 4 times now and am getting more familiar with them.
Reading through the previous posts, I think it is fine to ride your bike here. There are signs from the council saying that it is. So I doubt anyone will have an issue with it.
The trails do need a bit of work and I have started to slowly place markers on the ground to make forks in the road easier to find. The trails are a bit overgrown as well, so I would advise to wear some long sleeves, and sunnies.
There are some challenging parts, both physically and technically, but also some nice flowing ones as well. If I didn't have my iPhone with GPS, I probably wouldn't have been as adventurous.
The tracks are definitely suited to the dually, and in particular Trail type bikes (e.g. Giant Trance). There are some drop off's too, so take it easy. Hope this post helps and I see more riders out there.
+1

Have been riding a bit out there lately, as its right out my back door and super convenient.

The more i ride there the more i like it, starting to link up some good loops now. Great after rain and good all weather riding when kowen or stromlo are wet.

All council signs around say mtb's permitted so all is good!

XC_rulz

Squid
A bit more history about the Pipeline:
The original Queanbeyan MTB club, "The Border Rats" races there well before CORC in the early 90's (there and Greenleigh). When the club folded, CORC incorperated the tracks into their repertoire, but recent access issues have halted their use for organised events.

If you haven't ridden there, then you should. The tracks are sick, especially the 10min off-camber super-D down into Barracks Creek.

Dagget

Squid
Hey guys :)

That looks like a nice ride!
I'm guessing there is a fair few folk who would like to have a ride out there ...
Especially if the Qbn Council has tagged the trails as ok for MTB use ...

Perhaps you could organise a ( semi Guided ) ride on the Berm website ?

I'm going to head out this weekend and do it blind ... lol
I just need to fathom where that starting point is !

Cheers

Matt_stomper

Cannon Fodder
GPS Data

Hey Guys,

I've recently pick myself up a second hand dually and looking to have a go at these trails. I went and had a go this morning and I followed some awesome trails but I'm pretty sure I didn't follow the right track. I saw one track with "Old Pipeline" on a stump and a few green arrows here and there.

I'm looking at my GPS data and I was way off so I was wondering if anyone has some GPS data that I can have a look at and hopefully follow next time I go out there.

Cheers.

skipper_nz

Likes Dirt
Re opening this one.

I have had a search around and haven't found much information on the trails.
Are they still open? Ride able?

Planing to come to Canberra and ride some different trails and this one is on the list, any info would be great.

jp80

Likes Bikes
Yeah, they're open,rideable, loose and less manicured than other places in Canberra. A strong sidewall will do you well. Two parts to it, the hill which seems to be a loop of old school and at times tricky xc, and then across a road, down the hill a bit there's a whole network of trails that are really a nice change from the other stuff around.