Jet Black sawblades thoughts

castlo

Likes Dirt
hey guys and girls,

i got a kona coiler, 2008 888 RC3's, and i do alot of northshore syle singletrack and downhill runs and im putting shimano brakes on, pretty sure the deore XT's, well i got the jetblack sawblade looking discs and they seem to work ok with the hayes nines, not the best ever but yeah. Do the jetblack discs perform well with shimanos??does any one have any comments about them on how they run/performance?and do they squeal with anyone brake system other than the hayes??? cheers guys and feedback will be greatly appreciated:):)

castlo out

castlo

Likes Dirt
yerp

hey guys

when your dads tells you not to buy something coz it wont work just by him looking at it, dont do it

these have been set up right and everything imaginable to get them to work the lbs spent a week on them, but they still pulsate under braking with the shimano slx's (hydros), the front doesnt grip like the hayes 9's and overall they just dont feel good at all, to be honest this is my experience so im not going near jetblack discs again. avid one coming 2moz so i'll post up what its like.

but yeah, end result when it doesnt look like a disc it wont work like a disc should

castlo out

Jimass

Eats Squid
It's probably not worn in enough yet.....

It'll pulsate under braking because of the large differance in pad contact area (providing they aren't buckled).

Well thats what I think, not sure if thats what happens.

.. Weird how it does it with the SLX's and not the Hayes 9's.... Maybe 'Nine's are just a shit brake and thats why...... Unless they have after market levers.... Mmmmm BFL's... mmmm.

Either way, I love you Avid <3333.

lockieoc

Likes Dirt
ive got the exact rotors mine work perfect, i run juicy's and they work exactly the same as my avid rotors but just look a hell of alot better, i had to do some heavy brakeing to bed mine but after a few steep roads and a DH sesh they worked perfect.

Last edited:

Lorday

Eats Squid
While on about jet black rotors does anyone know any stores in parramatta, castle hill area which keeps them in stock? I can't seem to find them.

cfd01

Likes Bikes
I got one of these on the rear to replace a bent disc on my XC bike with Hays 9's. More for the look than performance - at the speed i do stopping power's not a huge problem.

The only issue i had was i needed to re-bleed them to stop them from dragging as it was a bit thicker than the old hays disc. The only difference i can tell is that they seem to have a better modulation - maybe because there is less area on the disc so you need more pressure to lock up?

I had a tiny bit of pulsing through the lever until they bedded in but now there fine. my LBS reccomeded long gentle applications to bed them in rather than short hard stops.

bellto

Likes Dirt
i had a jet black rotor, it was the biggest piece of shit ever, i was riding it for the first time, hit the brakes hard and it made the whole rotos into a wave shape. all warped and twisted. i sent it back and the dick head said i hit it on something. i would have had to hit it like 5 times because it is totally f'ed. it wasnt the saw blade but it was similar.

Lorday

Eats Squid
i had a jet black rotor, it was the biggest piece of shit ever, i was riding it for the first time, hit the brakes hard and it made the whole rotos into a wave shape. all warped and twisted. i sent it back and the dick head said i hit it on something. i would have had to hit it like 5 times because it is totally f'ed. it wasnt the saw blade but it was similar.
Would that be the light wieght wave rotor?

kungy

Likes Bikes
While on about jet black rotors does anyone know any stores in parramatta, castle hill area which keeps them in stock? I can't seem to find them.
Not sure about stores that sell, but Jetblack is based in the Hills District.

You might want to try emailing them and seeing whether you could purchase in cash straight from them.

Just a thought if you struggle tracking stores down.

castlo

Likes Dirt
hey guys

so other people do have my problem lol

i got an avid g2 cleansweep on the front, new pads coz those jetblacks chewed them up like a cheese gr8a, and they are perfect, hasnt even taken long to bed in, about twice around the block, a few hills and long slow ones that was it.

so next thing, who wants them??? p.m me if ur interested coz i got two 8 inch ones sitting here wraped in old sheets to stop them scratching

wb guys

cheers for the replies too.:)

mlsred

Likes Dirt
my experience with jet black stuff is it's cheap shite resembling something good, i had the same experience as you with my first bike, bought the rotors because they looked cool within a month I was back to the original hayes rotors which worked amazingly compared to the jet blacks

JetBlack Rotors

Guys and girls,

I have had the JetBlack rotors on two of my bikes for 6 months. on my fist bike is a Corsair Ducat jump bike 6" on the rear and 8" on the front. i have avid jucy 5 on it with no problems at all worked perfect first time and can pull a stoppie for 100's of meters and still on my first set of pads. i also have them on my XC bike with shimano XT brakes..

maybe they were installed incorrectly or it could be so simple as there is oil products that have got into your pads or onto the rotor. Think you sould have a chat with a mechanic at your local shop and use only alcohol based products on your pads and rotors.

G-Man

Likes Dirt
i had a jet black rotor, it was the biggest piece of shit ever, i was riding it for the first time, hit the brakes hard and it made the whole rotos into a wave shape. all warped and twisted. i sent it back and the """dick head""" said i hit it on something. i would have had to hit it like 5 times because it is totally f'ed. it wasnt the saw blade but it was similar.
Ouch --- Shouldn't call people names - was probably just doing his job - and I'm 100% certain they probably have hooked you lot up b-4 for something so go easy wif the name callin - it's un nessesary ,the folks at JB have great product and are alwais keen to help .

My 2c i've got them on all my bikes (5 in total) love them rate them - light and stiff
so in all - if you dont like them dont get them - pay the price for Hayes or Avid - your call , Have a nice day .

G-man outy

castlo

Likes Dirt
hey guys

re thinking since there's been a lot of hype out there an there was one if i remember correctly with shimano xt's, so im guessing they work with mine.

im going to put it back on the front to see how it goes, but the back after i think 4 weeks still pulses not as much but its feelable in the back. maybe since you guys have coem forward with good stuff about them i'll give them another go =]=] just to be sure and how long do you rekon i should run them for to bed them in?? i got new pads coz the shimano pads wern't as thick.

so i'll give them a run and get back to you guys in about 2 weeks =]=] a few northshore runs might help a little =]

castlo out

lockieoc

Likes Dirt
re thinking since there's been a lot of hype out there an there was one if i remember correctly with shimano xt's, so im guessing they work with mine.

im going to put it back on the front to see how it goes, but the back after i think 4 weeks still pulses not as much but its feelable in the back. maybe since you guys have coem forward with good stuff about them i'll give them another go =]=] just to be sure and how long do you rekon i should run them for to bed them in?? i got new pads coz the shimano pads wern't as thick.

so i'll give them a run and get back to you guys in about 2 weeks =]=] a few northshore runs might help a little =]

castlo out
They will always pulse, this is caused by the cut outs in the rotor. Two or three runs should bed them in.

castlo

Likes Dirt
haha sounds good

yeah im thinking that if they dont feel alright im going back to the g3 cleansweep, coz that pulsing i can feel all the way down to the pedals and through the bars most of all. just unnerving when you down the freeride track coming up to a big gap.

=]=]

lockieoc

Likes Dirt
yeah im thinking that if they dont feel alright im going back to the g3 cleansweep, coz that pulsing i can feel all the way down to the pedals and through the bars most of all. just unnerving when you down the freeride track coming up to a big gap.

=]=]
right... yeh they shouldnt be that bad. it has to be something else thats causing them to do that, what it may be, i dont know but its not the rotors.

and you shouldnt be on the brakes going into a gap. :p

castlo

Likes Dirt
i know

yeah i dunno what it is, but the callipers dont do it with the hayes or the g3 cleansweeps, just the jetblacks, ah well lol,

and as for going into the gap on the brakes, i go in with may too much speed for kinni mountain so i overshoot and end up about 10 metres into dense bush. not the most fun place to be :p

but yeah cheers guys for all your contributions, very helpful to know that theres alot of knowledge out there willing to be shared