JetBlack 24 Hour Sydney 2012

Bushranger

Likes Dirt
That's correct. Last time we rode the boundary trail and I GPSed it and put the map online. I wanted to do the actual trail as well but never got around to it. Will do one this week so we have it for next year :)

Saturday will be a warm one. Please start drinking a lot (water) from Wednesday/Thursday onwards. Showers will be trackside so you can quickly cool down in between laps.
Cool!

Last years course was/is a cracker, it's the main reason I'm coming back for more, no intent to ride full 24 hours, just want lots of time on the trail to enjoy! :)

jazzyj

Squid
well i have woken up to a night of solid rain on the central coast.
anyone camp there last night have any idea of how much rain you have gotten or track conditions.

looks like the b track will be getting alot of use.

pharcyde

Likes Bikes and Dirt
well i have woken up to a night of solid rain on the central coast.
anyone camp there last night have any idea of how much rain you have gotten or track conditions.

looks like the b track will be getting alot of use.
I camped here at MtAnnan last night and the rain was only light to moderate. I haven't been out on the trail yet but i don't expect they will use the B track. Sun is trying to come out and temps are already up.

pharcyde

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Scratch that. The last hour has seen the heavens open and now its pissing rain. B track is almost certain now.

toddcuth

Likes Bikes
results

Hi does anyone know if there will be results going up on the interwebs somewhere for me to cheer on the crews from home??

StanTheMan

Likes Dirt
It's been a great day. It got quite hot. But not the 42 deg forecast.
Great atmosphere here

Stan's bus rant's since 2011. Now on 4S

StanTheMan

Likes Dirt
We go through some Wi fi to get the results. But it takes ages to load up.

trailbunny

Rocky Trail Entertainment
Results at 8.30pm

Hi everyone from the JetBlack 24H event centre at Mt Annan! DJ Nigel is crankin' the tunes and here are the 8.30pm results:

JBH - 24H

Elite Male - Sam Chancellor (VIC) has just overtaken Andrew Lloyd (NSW) - Andrew actually just came through as I'm typing this and they're both on 16 laps now; Sam's lead is 8 min's. Third is Chris Hanson (NT) - "multi-state battle" ;-)

Masters - Clayton Locke (ACT) clearly leads the 40+; Peter Selkrieg is in a comfortable lead in the SuperMasters.

Pedal4Pierce Onya Bike Belconnen Team of 6 leading the race overall.

Mercedes Huntingwood Vans 6+6 H - first part of the race finished

As the riders are chilling out and probably already sleeping to rest up for re-start at 6am, the Canberrans are on top. Andrew Hall (ACT) is the clear leader in the Elite Men's category with 13 laps. He has a 3 lap lead ahead of Chris Schofield (NSW) and third is Michael Perry (NSW).
In the females, Philippa Rostan leads ahead of Leah Childs.

trailbunny

Rocky Trail Entertainment
Progress results 6am

Hi guys,
Thanks for the messages, everyone held up well, despite the high 30's and the Mercedes Huntingwood Vans 6+6 riders are on track again. the night was an interesting one and we have a new Elite Male Leader - Chris Hanson from Rapid Creek in the Northern Territory. It's almost an "international" and certainly a colourful top 5 progress result:

Elite Male:
1. Chris Hanson, NT - 29 laps
2. Benjii Morris, NSW - 29 laps +15 min
3. Kevin Pullen, SA - 24 laps
4. Sam Chancellor, VIC - 23 laps
5. Andrew Wells, NSW - 23 laps

Masters 40+ leader - Clayton Locke, leading by 13 laps in his category
Masters 50+ leader - Peter Selkrieg, 4 laps up in category
Line honours in 24H leaders - Pedal4Pierce Onya Bike Team of 6 from Canberra

6 hours to go!!!

wilddemon

Likes Dirt
It's been a great day. It got quite hot. But not the 42 deg forecast.
Great atmosphere here

It was over 42C in the sun according to a mates Garmin. I know that doesn't constitute an official weather report but it sure felt like that hot. That last section of climbing exposed in the sun was a total bakefest. One of the guys in the team felt a bit off, and I felt hungover after a short nap this afternoon. During the hottest parts of the day I was going through 2.5L of water every 2h 15m (our 4 man team cycle time) but struggled to stay hydrated (couldn't pee). Hat's off to the 24 solo and 6+6 solo riders, I can't imagine riding laps with no reprieve. The coolest shadiest part of the track were the pinch climbs in the first half of the loop. Riding through there in the hot hours there were heaps of riders stopped just trying to recover.

Yeah we all suffered, but really happy with the event and had a great time. It was well managed (with the exception of toilets - OMFG) and the track was great to the credit of staff and trail fairies - thanks. I heard the MC say that there were over 4400 laps on that track, the dirt was pulverised to dust. Amazingly though the track stayed fast right to the end. To be honest I never really fully appreciated this track but there were plenty of sections that had me hooting - fast and flowing (once I figured out somewhat how to ride it), technical and of course, physically demanding and unrelenting (yeah those bits I wasn't hooting).

Anyone who knows this track knows that it is littered with shortcuts, some sneaky and some very obvious. I'll just put this out there. In the middle of the night there were a few occasions where I saw riders "loitering" around areas where a shortcut (that would cut significant amounts of track out) would begin. Also the silly twisty section - that Shimano tape broke through the night and a section of ground became very compacted, an obvious shortcut. Also, a team mate witnessed a young bloke struggling through a very early part of the loop and almost come off. My team mate overtook him only to see him near the end of the loop with an adult who was encouraging the young lad to slow down?!?!? Did anyone else see any sneaky business? Seriously, it's not like we are riding for sheep stations, not that it would matter if you were. And to think that a grown man charged with responsibility of a lad (father or otherwise) would encourage or condone this behaviour is sickening. I noticed that there were some cars near the "pump track" and was wondering if they were monitoring plate numbers or at least cheating behaviour, and also would like to enquire if there were any busts?

Great day/night/day. Will be recovering for a few days at least :)

SlowManiac

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Whats a weekend! My first enduro event, I did the 6+6 solo. Saturday was really hard. 30, 40, who cares it was freaking hot. Could not drink enough on the bike and felt worse and worse. Called time after 5 hour and a measly 5 laps. Sunday was much better, started off nice and cool, it did warm up but nothing like the day before. I think I ended up with 14 laps in total.

I really liked the course, it felt a little contrived in parts but there were plenty of fun little sections and a few challenges. Not once in 14 laps was I able to get through the twisty tree section - dammit!

Was blown away by how friendly everyone was, a great atmosphere out on course and no hassles at all with passing or being passed.

For me ride of the day goes to my friend in the 24hr solo - she's only been mtb'ing for around 6 months and she did a massive 29 laps! This puts her 5th or 6th overall I think. Hard as nails.

MarioM

Likes Dirt
What a great event , apart from the heat that is . Thanks to my team mates . I had one moment there on the night laps with a flat approx half way round . No prob to change but my CO2 canister fizzed out leaving me with not even half pressure in the back tyre . Rode for ages before some people came by . Second guy was good enough to give me a canister . Thanks to Mike from the Shimano tent and if you are reading this i`m sorry i did not give you one back even after i saw you in transition for the last lap , i was just trying to survive and totally forgot to come by after the lap . PM me your address and i will send you some .
To all the other racers on the track who were patient and courteous when passing people thanks , this seems to be a good trend for RTE events . I have never heard so many racers asking other racers how they were going and giving encouragement to them .
Thanks Rocky Trail and thanks to my Sector7G team mates .

pinkbike

Likes Dirt
Well thanks to Martin and Juliane for a great mountain biking Christmas party, the last event of the year certainly was a success.

Yes it was stinking hot on Saturday, we carry a thermometre to 24-races (usually to see how friggen cold it is for night laps - not this time!) and it read 39 in the shade around 3-4pm on Saturday. I did a lap around then and there were a lot of people out on track struggling, checked with everyone that they were ok. I have to say that the MTB ethic was alive and well, I stopped for one guy who was not looking good and he insisted he could roll back. A few minutes later another rider came up and offered to ride back with him slowly, offered him water out of his camelbak etc. I left them together as I had only a small bottle to offer. I saw lots of people helping others, waiting with others for first aid/marshals ... no one was left alone out there it was great to see!

I have no idea how the solos got through the heat on Saturday, I was going out soaking wet (thanks to the kids paddling pool in our camp) and on my hottest lap still felt sick by the end. I was only out in it for just over 30 minutes, people who were doing solo or even just riding slow laps - damn that would have been tough. Lots of exposed areas of track in full too, often on climbs - brutal!

By 5pm things cooled down to the balmy low 30s and the sun was clouded over so it became way more bearable. Then of course Sunday stayed in the 20s even though that sun was still hot on the climbs. Lucky though we missed any decent rain and so we never had to be diverted onto the "B track" for rainy weather.

I was doing the 6+6 so wasn't out on track at night, can't say I saw any shortcutting myself (in reference to above poster). We do have sneaking suspicions that a young bloke in our camp may have been short cutting the course tho so that may have been who your team mate saw. He was struggling with the length of the track and the team came last in category anyway so some gentle education is definitely in order, but we figured it wasn't going to change the results to didn't do anything official about it. Apologies for that.

Thanks again to Martin and Juliane, all the volunteers who did timing/marshaling etc. Props to photographers out on course in stupid heat. But the biggest thanks goes to the first aiders there, they were definitely working overtime in that heat.

disappearin

Likes Dirt
I have no idea how the solos got through the heat on Saturday, I was going out soaking wet (thanks to the kids paddling pool in our camp) and on my hottest lap still felt sick by the end.
I looked at that pool every lap with envy!

I did see a few people shortcutting the track also. Id like to think that they had mechanicals or were struggling with the heat? At the end of the day if you intentionally cheat in an enduro event your only letting yourself down.

This event was my first solo 24hr and what I tough introduction it was! The heat took its toll on a lot of riders and i was also impressed at the support and patience out on the track from all the riders towards each other. Big thanks to the rocky trail team for a great event and the jersey! The support from everyone there was what got me through that last lap after crossing the finish line with the clock at 23:59, 1 second before the cutoff. I will defiantly be back for more.

Bushranger

Likes Dirt
Fantastic event

The Track: A+++++++++
The Organisation: A++
The Vibe: A++

Just a brilliant weekend. The new event headquarters with the chicane style finish to each lap was brillliant. I wouldn't change a thing on the new course.

As a 24 solo rider, the human interaction at the finish of each lap was a highlight. I'd absolutely be devestated if this event ever used electronic timing. I'd happily pay extra to not have it and have a real human at the end of each lap. The smiles and cheers of the event crew were great and I really appreciated no-one yelling out my embarrassingly low lap count :):)

Yeah, toilets an issue, was thinking perhaps a couple on the course just up past the first little climb on the right before the single track starts.

The heat was hot! :):):) Damn hot! But we knew well in advance, so I was surprised I had to stop a couple of times to give water from my camel back to other riders who had either ran out of water or didn't have water, but only sports drink with them so couldn't poor that on themselves, and couldn't complete laps. I hope everyone got through the weekend without any serious issues.

The event is at capacity, it was great when 6pm rolled around to get a few laps in without the crowds. Then when 6am rolled around you get a reminder of just how slow you are going when the teams come flying past! :):)

Already planning next years strategy.

Love this event. Well done Rocky Trail Entertainment crew!

StanTheMan

Likes Dirt
after doing the 6+6 pairs I think I really like the Idea of 6 man 24 hrs. You can just smash laps still get plenty of sleep. I also love the social aspet of it. yea sure i got a few skotches in on sat nigh which I would never do in a 24hr race.....but I just love the idea of the social & then smashing a few laps. As well as feeling good about myself afterwards.

I know I might sound soft but I over extended myself. This wasnt too evident on Sunday. But yesterday afternoon I wasnt feling too good. No better today....

Those guys doing 24 hr solos....far out bad enough doing 24hr.....but in those conditions. I take my hat off to those guys.