JetBlack 24 Hour Sydney 2012

MATTY R

Likes Dirt
Has anyone mentioned how hot it was???

This was my first solo 24 and overall I enjoyed it. There were times on Saturday arvo when I was ready to pull the pin. I'm so glad that I had my wife in the pits keeping me hydrated and motivated. I couldn't have done it with out her.

Rocky trail always put on a great event and this one was no different. Thanks guys!

At the end of it all I managed 10th in solo elite. I'm so over the moon!!

trailburner

Rocky Trail Entertainment
Thanks soooo much for all the fantastic feedback - as you can imagine we are quite tired too and reading how all of you enjoyed it makes our day again and again. On Sunday we went into our sleeping bags at 6pm and woke up 12.5 hours later :)
Thanks for next to no litter out on the track and event centre. Cleaning up was a breeze and we were out of there by noon on Monday.

I must say that you were one of the best crowds we ever had at a race. The fact that some of you took extra drinking bottles out on a lap on Saturday afternoon to give to riders who were struggling in the heat was amazing. We had all our manpower (marshalls, Pink First Aid, Mt Annan Ranger, myself) out on the track on Saturday afternoon to look after you guys. Knowing that riders are looking out after each other in addition to that makes it so much easier to manage.

We took note of the toilet situation and will organise the pump out earlier for next year - full toilets and hot weather don't mix well.

Watch out for the pics from Marathon-Photos. I will post the link as soon as they become available. Michael McClean also took a fantastic video which he cut until 3am Monday morning. We will be able to publish that soon too.

Once again a huge thanks to all of you for coming and racing with us as well as the entire team of staff, volunteers, sponsors and suppliers.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
HOT!!

Gotta defend those who overheated though and or ran out of water - at race place in 40 in the direct sun and 80% humidity, heat stress for a lot of people was a certainty .

Never been so hot on my life, and the first lap was easily the worst 30 minutes on a bike in my life- including rides that have landed me in hospital. Having read up on symptoms of heat stroke and outcomes, I think if I ever have to ride in those conditions again , you gotta ride to heart rate not muscle exertion - riding at full speed is more dangerous than a gumpy trying to pin a downhill on cross bike! (I started to feel very cold with 1/3rd of the lap still to go - weird feeling when you know you're overheating)

pinkbike

Likes Dirt
HOT!!

Gotta defend those who overheated though and or ran out of water - at race place in 40 in the direct sun and 80% humidity, heat stress for a lot of people was a certainty .

Never been so hot on my life, and the first lap was easily the worst 30 minutes on a bike in my life- including rides that have landed me in hospital. Having read up on symptoms of heat stroke and outcomes, I think if I ever have to ride in those conditions again , you gotta ride to heart rate not muscle exertion - riding at full speed is more dangerous than a gumpy trying to pin a downhill on cross bike! (I started to feel very cold with 1/3rd of the lap still to go - weird feeling when you know you're overheating)
Agreed, your HR is doing extra simply because of the heat and the extent to which your HR changes in heat is individual... so some people will cope better than others but in general, the older you are, the less fit you are, the higher body fat your have... the tougher it will be. HR rises on average 10bpm for every degree increase in body temperature. I backed off the pace in the heat and my HR was still a decent race level, yet my legs and lungs felt good. However if you are the type of rider who has to max your HR just to ride some of those pinches or climbs in the cool, then in the heat you are either going to have to walk or you will cook yourself.

Bushranger

Likes Dirt
HOT!!

yeah fair enough re the water, it was hard to manage and predict.

I pulled up for long break in middle of afternoon due to the heat after i stopped to help someone that was in a bad way, then after i rode for a while (after first aid arrived) I got the chills you mentioned and took that as a sign I should take some rest.

It's easy to think "it's just one lap" but in reality that is a long time, over half an hour for most in that heat will soon drain you. And there are'nt that many sections where you can have a long drink, more like frequent sips.

It was great that everytime someone stopped, anyone who passed them not only asked if they were OK, but asked if they had enough water with them.

The vibe was mabo style! :):)

wilddemon

Likes Dirt
Agreed, your HR is doing extra simply because of the heat and the extent to which your HR changes in heat is individual... so some people will cope better than others but in general, the older you are, the less fit you are, the higher body fat your have... the tougher it will be. HR rises on average 10bpm for every degree increase in body temperature. I backed off the pace in the heat and my HR was still a decent race level, yet my legs and lungs felt good. However if you are the type of rider who has to max your HR just to ride some of those pinches or climbs in the cool, then in the heat you are either going to have to walk or you will cook yourself.
Yeah I noticed that my heart raced at rest so tried to use my HR to manage my effort. My resting is about 50 so I suppose 60 would be a reasonable expectation at transition? Well my HR was 120 in the heat waiting for my team mate. My max is about 185, my alarm is set to 181, and first lap it went off about 8 times with a max of 191. Plenty in the legs but nothing to push through them, the heart and lungs working hard just to pump in extreme conditions. Were there any heat related injuries treated by ambos?

Bushranger

Likes Dirt
oh yeah, and I thought there was very little rubbish/litter on the track too, that's great. The triathletes must stay away from this event! :):)

pinkbike

Likes Dirt
Yeah I noticed that my heart raced at rest so tried to use my HR to manage my effort. My resting is about 50 so I suppose 60 would be a reasonable expectation at transition? Well my HR was 120 in the heat waiting for my team mate. My max is about 185, my alarm is set to 181, and first lap it went off about 8 times with a max of 191. Plenty in the legs but nothing to push through them, the heart and lungs working hard just to pump in extreme conditions. Were there any heat related injuries treated by ambos?

Resting HR is generally in bed, lying down and just after waking so I'd expect even normally that you'd add a bit in transition of a race. Then add some more if you've already been exercising and eating and drinking. But yeah things like heat and dehydration send your HR even higher, 120 sounds pretty high from a base of 50 but exercising in 40 degree heat in full sun is pretty stupid :nono: ... haha that's why we all did it, right!

p.s race report in my blog, link in the signature.

wilddemon

Likes Dirt
Resting HR is generally in bed, lying down and just after waking so I'd expect even normally that you'd add a bit in transition of a race. Then add some more if you've already been exercising and eating and drinking. But yeah things like heat and dehydration send your HR even higher, 120 sounds pretty high from a base of 50 but exercising in 40 degree heat in full sun is pretty stupid :nono: ... haha that's why we all did it, right!

p.s race report in my blog, link in the signature.
Good to know, otherwise with your 10 bpm per degree Celsius body temp formula I would've been... brown bread!

StanTheMan

Likes Dirt
yea hy heart rate at transition on the first lap of the day was like 130. But that was mostly due to anticipation of the race start. Most times in transition was around the 110-115 mark

OK so you were the 1 girl on the pink bike who was the other? she had long blond hair.

crummy?

Likes Dirt
Mt Annan Magic

Thanks soooo much for all the fantastic feedback - as you can imagine we are quite tired too and reading how all of you enjoyed it makes our day again and again. On Sunday we went into our sleeping bags at 6pm and woke up 12.5 hours later :)
Thanks for next to no litter out on the track and event centre. Cleaning up was a breeze and we were out of there by noon on Monday.

I must say that you were one of the best crowds we ever had at a race. The fact that some of you took extra drinking bottles out on a lap on Saturday afternoon to give to riders who were struggling in the heat was amazing. We had all our manpower (marshalls, Pink First Aid, Mt Annan Ranger, myself) out on the track on Saturday afternoon to look after you guys. Knowing that riders are looking out after each other in addition to that makes it so much easier to manage.

We took note of the toilet situation and will organise the pump out earlier for next year - full toilets and hot weather don't mix well.

Watch out for the pics from Marathon-Photos. I will post the link as soon as they become available. Michael McClean also took a fantastic video which he cut until 3am Monday morning. We will be able to publish that soon too.

Once again a huge thanks to all of you for coming and racing with us as well as the entire team of staff, volunteers, sponsors and suppliers.
Big Thanks to RockyTrail and all the competitors who made the event, a JetBlack Syd 24hr Video is now live at CrummyMYB Youtube Channel.

pinkbike

Likes Dirt
yea hy heart rate at transition on the first lap of the day was like 130. But that was mostly due to anticipation of the race start. Most times in transition was around the 110-115 mark

OK so you were the 1 girl on the pink bike who was the other? she had long blond hair.
There were at least 2 other pink anthems out on course apart from me, not sure who they were...