NSW JetBlack WSMTB 12 hour 2013 by Rocky Trail Entertainment

trailburner

Rocky Trail Entertainment
If you would like to score an entry to the Croc Trophy 2013 let us know:
Rocky Trail has again secured a free tricket for one of our riders. We have given away tickets to elite racers in previous years and for 2013 we open up the competition for all MASTER riders (40+ and 50+) at the JetBlack WSMTB 12 Hour race. Interested riders, please email us to cycle@rockytrailentertainment.com to put down your name. We will communicate further details in the coming weeks.

JonnyH

Likes Bikes
Dumb Question ...

This will be my first race which includes some night riding; I have bar lights and a helmet light both of which I regularly ride with on the local trails at night ... but, do you use a rear light when racing? Open to some feedback here

Thanks!

Last edited:

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
yep, use a rear light, but have it switched on, but not on flash mode.
Yep - mandatory solid rear light is the most perverse thing about mountain biking. I mean obviously lots of people crash up the arse of the rider in front because they can't see them LOL. It must be a hangover effect of legality on roads.

A few hours of night riding is a great idea.

JonnyH

Likes Bikes
Thanks guys

Thanks all, I thought that would be the answer. It does seem a bit odd though; anyone with 1000+ lumens on their bars who can pick out stray branches and rocks on the trail should surely see another rider ahead of them! Anyway, as you say, a throwback to road days maybe.

(I've done quite a bit of night riding, and always have the rear light on as I need to commute via road to the trails.)

crummy?

Likes Dirt
Trail Work and Course Preview

With plenty of eager beavers keen to help out, the trail work took less time than expected. What can you, as a rider, expect this year? Very much the same as previous years, there will be sweet single-track links between the fast fire-trails and one climb to speak of. There will be dust, there will be rocks and plenty of hero dirt. Here is a quick preview video.

trailburner

We will be heading out tomorrow to prepare the track. A little rain tonight and nothing more forecast for until the race should make the track awesome to ride.
There is no phone reception out there so if you have any questions come and see us Friday or Saturday.
Slightly bigger field than last year should make a great race!

colesy01

Likes Bikes
Hi all,
I haven't ridden Dargle Farm before and am curious about the amount of climbing on the loop. The course description mentions a climb at the end of the loop, is a 1x 10 setup do-able? (32 front, 11-36 rear). Is it anything like the halfway hill down at Wingello from the last 3 ring circus, or more similar to heartbreak hill at Ourimbah?

Any thoughts?

notime

Likes Dirt
Given that there are a bunch of guys out there doing it on a SS I'd say you'll be fine with a 1x10 setup.
I'll be out on the SS for the day, the climb is a kind of techy single track climb, not like half way hill, maybe the grades are similar but narrow single track and it all points up hill without much of a breather. I still can't decide on a gear ratio for the day, one climb and a pinch v's a lot of flat fire road. 1x10 sounds nice to me!

Last edited:

trailburner

Bit of rain today but not overly much. There will be a few muddy sections but they will be short.
On the other hand it's nice to to be out in the dust.

See you all tomorrow or Saturday!

SlowManiac

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Stalker!

Heading up in the morning, nice leisurely 9am start time.

Can't wait, it's going to be a blast! Say hi each time you lap me :wave: