Jindabyne, Thredbo and surrounds - What is everyday life like?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I'm considering a longer term away from home. What is life like in the NSW "snowy" region outside the snow season? Is there much in the way of work and community, is it a few crazed desperadoes keeping Thredbo running and sporadic weekend visitors?

Ideate

Ask Swatto, he moved to Jindy (I think) to be closer to Thredbo from Canberra. Can't really judge his move without knowing details but anything would be better than Canberra. I'd move if I was single. Either there or back to my home town of Mt Beauty.

mr_marko

Likes Bikes
I'm considering a longer term away from home. What is life like in the NSW "snowy" region outside the snow season? Is there much in the way of work and community, is it a few crazed desperadoes keeping Thredbo running and sporadic weekend visitors?
I lived in Jindy for nearly 9 years on and off. You will always be able to find work if you want to, it just might not be the type of work you want. Believe it or not Thredbo has more visitors during the summer period than the winter. And you can always get work on the bike crew at Thredbo. They seem not to be able to keep good trail diggers.

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
I did a couple of years at Jindy, Kalkite actually, a small town just short of Jindy. So definingly quiet. I worked at Thredbo as a bike mechanic and did some trail work. Trail work has stepped up a lot since then though, and you'd most lilely get a job there, although I can't imagine pay is huge as there's an army of young willing dudes. You could get other work easy enough though, as said.
There's quite a bit of riding around other than Thredbo also. I'd do it again. Not too much scosial life in summer, but good riding crews around.

richie_gt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Is there much in the way of work and community, is it a few crazed desperadoes keeping Thredbo running and sporadic weekend visitors?
A few years back a mate and I did a weekend's riding at Thredbo at the back end of April and it was ridiculously quiet! The poor bloke in the pie shop seemed like he was desperate to speak to new people, the small talk was endless before we could even order any food! He also bailed us up at the pub later on! Lol!