Jnr T's Topping Out (fork technical prob)

Shintaro

Likes Dirt
I recently had my forks serviced (03 Marzochi Jnr T's) and now when I bunnyhop I pull the bars up and my forks make a loud clunking/banging noise.

I plan to retrun them to my LBS who did the service but am wondering what would cause this to happen.

Is it as simple as no oil in a resevoir? Or something more technical?

S.

ex offender
Either a very light weight oil has been used (unlikely), no oil at all has been used (very very unlikely), or most likely the rebound damping has been backed right off. There should be an adjuster somewhere (usually on top of the right fork leg, but on some marz forks BOTH legs have rebound adjusters on the tops), wind it a few turns clockwise then try again.

tu plang

knob
id be surprised if they (jr ts.) had rebound adjustment at all (other then oil weight) Jr T's have never had it from my memory.

Juls

Junior Marzocchi Tech
03 Jnr T's have INTERNAL rebound adjusters. in both legs.

you need a great big long allen key, Ithink it's 3mm or 3.5mm from memory.

to adjust, you simply pop off the top caps (undo them), then push down on the fork releasing the springs, remove the springs,

compress the fork to bottom out, put in the allen key, turn outwards to increase the rebound damping (slow the fork down) turn inwards to reduce the damping (make it top out more) (it might be the other way around.. haha.. can't remember entirely)

the allen key you will need is about.. a good foot or more long.

there is no external adjustment.

It sounds like the bike shop either put lighter oil in, like 7.5wt when you had 10wt in them, or 5 when you had 7.5 without making the neccessary rebound adjustments, or they made rebound adjustments without using there brains.
Just another reason why I won't let bike shops touch my bike.

7.5wt is marz standard, however Marzocchi 7.5 is a bit heavier than most other brands of 7.5wt

Kind regards
Juls

Last edited:

928stu

Likes Dirt
In my '03 Jr T, the rebound is internal and need a long (read 400mm) 10mm allen key to do the job, but I'd check the oil height before farking with the rebound.

Juls

Junior Marzocchi Tech
928stu said:
In my '03 Jr T, the rebound is internal and need a long (read 400mm) 10mm allen key to do the job, but I'd check the oil height before farking with the rebound.
The oil height shouldn't make a difference, unless it's excessively low.

You might be right with the 10mm allen key,
I thought they didn't go to 10mm until 04, and 02/03 was 3mm.. anyway I'm wrong it seems.

regards
Juls

Dale666

Likes Dirt
My old jr ts had this prob, try changing the oil to 10 or 15w. Make sure the rebound shafts are still connected, Very common for these to snap (cheap plastic).