Jobs and Quitting

guitar1234

Likes Dirt
I'm currently working at a Pizza shop (I'm 15...) and am going to quit due to the boss being completely unreasonable and just totally unhelpful, and for $10 an hour it's just a waste of time as far as I can see

I am 99% sure that I am not on the books as I do not receive a paycheck (just cash in hand) and I am not in any sort of contract.
Does this mean that I have to give him two weeks notice as to my quitting or not?

As far as I know, as a casual employee, you don't have to give two weeks notice, it's just the better thing to do. As far as "on the books" goes, have you given them your tax file number? Also, if you intend on using them as a reference for further employment, I'd advise you to make your resignation as painless as possible.

On the other hand, do as has been mentioned, come up with the coolest way to possibly walk out. We had one guy come in once to be told by the manager: "You're 5 minutes late!" Only to have him reply: "5 minutes too short if you ask me!" He then clocked on, tunred around, and walked out.

guitar1234

Likes Dirt
As far as I know, as a casual employee, you don't have to give two weeks notice, it's just the better thing to do. As far as "on the books" goes, have you given them your tax file number? Also, if you intend on using them as a reference for further employment, I'd advise you to make your resignation as painless as possible.

On the other hand, do as has been mentioned, come up with the coolest way to possibly walk out. We had one guy come in once to be told by the manager: "You're 5 minutes late!" Only to have him reply: "5 minutes too short if you ask me!" He then clocked on, tunred around, and walked out.
No I haven't given him my tax file number.
I probably won't use him as a reference either. He and his family run the establishment and are just power trippers, they are so unreasonable that they say I have to give them two weeks notice to get a night off, which is almost impossible to do. Today I rang him up at 12am and told him I couldn't work cause I had injured myself while riding and can't use my right arm at all.
He replied "What do you expect me to do? I am trying to run a business. Why bother going out on the weekend and doing extreme sports if you're going to get injured"
I work on both Monday and Saturday nights and he essentially expects me to do nothing over the weekend and do no sports whatsoever. And what pisses me off even more is that he didn't even ask if I was ok, just if I could work on monday still.

No I haven't given him my tax file number.
I probably won't use him as a reference either. He and his family run the establishment and are just power trippers, they are so unreasonable that they say I have to give them two weeks notice to get a night off, which is almost impossible to do. Today I rang him up at 12am and told him I couldn't work cause I had injured myself while riding and can't use my right arm at all.
He replied "What do you expect me to do? I am trying to run a business. Why bother going out on the weekend and doing extreme sports if you're going to get injured"
I work on both Monday and Saturday nights and he essentially expects me to do nothing over the weekend and do no sports whatsoever. And what pisses me off even more is that he didn't even ask if I was ok, just if I could work on monday still.
I'd get put of there then. I'm in a pretty rough spot with my work (KFC) but until I can get another job, I'm stuck there. I wouldn't worry too much about it. If you want to be the bigger man, write a simple letter stating your resignation and hand that in when you tell them. Otherwise, just do the whole "I quit" and walk out.

hach_bee

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Don't ever work hospo- my weekends are tuesdays and wednesdays. Hate to say it but I'll play devil's advocate- harden up princess. Yeah you will get awesome bosses (rarely) who'd ask if you're okay but most have more important things in their job to worry about, like who's working the shift that you can't. The fact you called in was probably sign enough that you weren't critical...

As has been said though, would strongly recommend giving notice even if you don't like the guy. Karma is everything in the workplace, and you never know who this guy could know to bad mouth you to a potential future employer! If you don't need the cash sweet but I remember getting $7.27 on PPT at 15... the places you can work that DO pay more; remember you will get hit with tax.

Sorry to play the bad guy but it might pay to consider all of you options- best of luck with it all!

flamin'trek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
sounds like you should just walk out, if he's paying you cash and doesn't have records is probably not covering you for workers comp or anything either. He needs to follow the rules. If it's really bad report them to the .. I dunno which dept, but the one to do with industrial affairs.

Steve-0

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I would just walk out on a really busy shift and burn that bridge. Your not even on the books,

I hate bosses that give you grief about what you did on the weekend. They have no right to ask, let alone have any control over it.

If there's any K-marts or Bigw's near you I would head there for a new job maybe. Ok pay, Easy retail, Casual hours (i.e. ride on weekends) and they usual hire a shitload of people between now and September.

redbruce

Eats Squid
Hate to say it but I'll play devil's advocate- harden up princess. Yeah you will get awesome bosses (rarely) who'd ask if you're okay but most have more important things in their job to worry about, like who's working the shift that you can't. The fact you called in was probably sign enough that you weren't critical...

As has been said though, would strongly recommend giving notice even if you don't like the guy. Karma is everything in the workplace, and you never know who this guy could know to bad mouth you to a potential future employer! If you don't need the cash sweet but I remember getting $7.27 on PPT at 15... the places you can work that DO pay more; remember you will get hit with tax.

Sorry to play the bad guy but it might pay to consider all of you options- best of luck with it all!
+1, sage advice. A message I have had to repeat to my kids a few times over the years.

Consider it an investment in life's journey. You will be the better for it.

Callan.

Farkin Gorilla.
I haven't read previous posts, however a casual employee has to give a minimum of 1 hours notice I believe.

Steve-0

Likes Bikes and Dirt
By the sounds of it he's not even an employee... He doesn't even have to rock up.

I always give notice and would usually reccomend it but I doubt you have anything to gain by doing so. Considering the situation I would just leave. Do something extravagant and post pictures here :p

Joel O

Likes Bikes and Dirt
When I was 15 I got $5.73/h I might be a bit out of touc, but I don't think $10 is anything to complain about.

If you must leave, leave, but man up and do it on good terms. No good can come from burning bridges there

rone

Eats Squid
When I was 15 I got $5.73/h I might be a bit out of touc, but I don't think $10 is anything to complain about.

If you must leave, leave, but man up and do it on good terms. No good can come from burning bridges there
Agree with this. Burning bridges has a habit of eventually coming round to bite you in the arse.

Xavo.au

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just quit respectively, it would be good to have them on your resume/reference list - but only if they aren't going to bag you out to your next employer. At 15 though, it's not critical that you have references for another job (it would help though).

Maccas, or any of those fast foods would hire you in an instant to be honest. (Not that I recommend working at Maccas).

indica

Serial flasher
If you really want to burn the bridges, tell him to fuck off then call the ATO.
Better yet hurt yourself while working, then sue him for abusing you and forcing you to work off the books.

Morgan123

Likes Dirt
I would say don't burn bridges, does help having a reference. They might not even call him but it does help having it listed. I definitely agree that you should leave, had a few fuckwit bosses and he sounds like a typical wanker. Working at a pizza shop isn't a good idea IMO, it'll get you nowhere. Whereas working at BigW, Safeway etc you can at least move up into management (if you want to) and it isn't a shitty job like Maccas or Pizza shops where you come home smelling like shit and covered in oil.

As said it doesn't sound like you're on the books so you don't have to give notice, but it would be a good idea to give as much as possible.

dusty_nz

Likes Dirt
+1, sage advice. A message I have had to repeat to my kids a few times over the years.

Consider it an investment in life's journey. You will be the better for it.
I also support this, Most bosses are pretty average and primarily interested in making money versus your personal concerns.

I would give him the benefit of the doubt and give notice, You might be surprised.

If you treat him like shit then he has the right to do the same back.

Also, You never know when you might cross paths again, play it safe. Really no skin of your back

guitar1234

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the advice guys, it's been very helpfully getting more opinions.

I'm going to try and give him some notice, but I don't how well that'll go down cause I'll most likely have to take Monday night off due to my arm, he won't be happy due to it being a long weekend and all.

And I'm not too inclined to burn that bridge either, as most of you would know, people in small towns talk fast.