jocks broken leg

Late yesterday afternoon I responded to a "mum, I think I've broken my leg" phone call from Jock at the bottom of Jubilee Park. I found him half an hour later sprawled across the fire road near the bottom of the downhill track with an obviously broken lower right leg and 20 minutes later the ambulance bundled him up and delivered him to St Vincents.

Turns out he has a nasty fracture of both the tibia and fibula bones just above his ankle and a second cleaner break of the fibula just below his knee. The doctors put him in a temporary cast last night after pulling everything back into line and are going to operate late this afternoon to put in some screws and a plate. He will be in hospital until at least friday.

It seems the little chain rollers got sucked into his back wheel on the landing after the bottom log jump and Jock thinks his leg broke when he slamed his foot down onto the ground trying to maintain control. Apart from an unrecognisable rear derailler and a bunch of broken spokes, the bike looks OK.

Scott

bAdmin
Staff member
wow, thats harsh.

Was he by himself, or with the usual gang? Wouldn't have been real fun trying to pass the time by yourself in the middle of nowhere with a bad leg fracture.

Where abouts in St. Vinies is he?

Tom was there to keep him company during the wait, but I can imagine it does get a bit lonely down there after the sun goes down.
Jock is in Room 214 St Annes ward

aaron01

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Send my sympathies Mark, I know the feeling I've got 2 more weeks till I'm walking again from alomost the same kind of break. Broke tibbier clean in 2 at the ankle & fibbier near the knee. My advise to Jock get plenty of videos/DVD & a braun chock from the scott street pharmacy to rest your leg on best $20 I ever spent (all it does is elevate your leg above your heart & helps reduce swelling fast. Plus plenty of calsium tablets to help the bones mend. Wish him all the best for a speedy recovery hate to see another rider getting injured.

CAM

Likes Dirt
Really bummed to hear that news about Jock, such bad timing! Not that any time is a good time. Hope he gets back on it real soon.

rtd

Likes Dirt
This happened just after me and Cormac left for home, and Tom and Jock went for another run. I got a shock when Tom told me this morning at school. Hope your back on the bike soon Jock! Wish him well for me Mark.

tim_89

Likes Bikes
this happened to me, spiral fracture to the tibia n some damage to the fibula. i broke my leg in may and still in a cast recovering. 10 weeks in a full cast basically up to your crouch and 6 weeks in a half cast. At the moment i have 3 weeks left then physio so mate you got a long way to go but keep your chin up, i was depressed for 2 or so months and was in a dont talk to me mood but now when i look back it helps to talk to friends. get well soon
cheers tim

Kasplat

Likes Dirt
I know what it feel's like

Pass on my regards to joke I broke my ancle on the growt plate and the base told me I hadn't so they sent me to phsio for 6 weeks, it wasn't until the hsio had a frenid look at the x-rays that the base called me in and told me I had Broken it. i the mean time the phsio made me walk on it etc.

louispijpers

model citizen
Me and Kyle just went up to St. Vincents and he's sleeping(snoring) after surgery. So i'll head up there tomorrow to see how he's going.

juzzo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
thats bad to hear, wont be able to race toowoomba dam, send my reguards, hope his legs better soon

MrPlow

TMBC
Well that really sux!
Will he still be in the same room on Friday Mark?
I hope you recover quickly mate :) You youngins always do!
My mate did a similar thing on his moto, he was off work for 6 months, but was riding his bike again after 1 or 2 :D (in a cast) :confused:

Up that morphine and give me a ring if you want to borrow my DVD's or Xbox ;)

nathan

Likes Dirt
Damm, bad luck Jock, that sounds like a really bad crash and injury. Hope you are feeling better soon mate and we'll come visit you some time. Get well soon.

Kasplat

Likes Dirt
I have to eat humble pie, I think that the other day I but up a saying I use, as my signiture and I put it up at the wrong time and may have offened somepeople If that was you I Apoligise for doing so. It was not ment to offend anyone it was just put up at the wrong time that was all. :eek: :eek:

DH_DEVIL

Likes Dirt
hey

ive never met Jock but when i heard about this on sunday i was like 'holy shite' so i hope all goes well in your recovery mate, good luck

cheers

aaron01

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Mr Plow wrote
He was spectating at the race on Sunday and seemed in high spirits (as always)![quote*]

impressive a good effort without the racing if he hjad only had surgery earlier in the week, can't imagine tring to negotiate that course with crutches, proves just how hard core the kid is, Nice work

Not that impressive Aaron............. I picked him up late in the afternoon from beside the track at exactly the same spot I pushed him out of the car earlier in the day

CAM

Likes Dirt
MrPlow said:
He was spectating at the race on Sunday and seemed in high spirits (as always)!
Pretty hard to get Jock down. I remember last year when he clean snapped his arm, he just like "oh, bugger" and his first thought was how he was going to miss the next state round, whilst the rest of us went white at the sight of his new flexy arm :)

All the best Jock hope to see you back out doing runs in no time.