Jocky wheel dropping the chain?

LEX

Likes Dirt
G'day guys, just after a bit of trouble shooting. My lower jocky wheel keeps dropping the chain between the when and cage. What could be the cause?

-2010 SRAM XX on a 2010 superfly
-checked the cage is done up tight
-doesn't look twisted by sight.

Cheers

Chil

Likes Dirt
I take it that it happens under load?
It might be the freewheel slipping on the rear wheel not the chain itself, do you have another rear wheel to try out?

frensham

Likes Dirt
G'day guys, just after a bit of trouble shooting. My lower jocky wheel keeps dropping the chain between the when and cage. What could be the cause?

Cheers
Between the what and cage?
Dropping the chain means that it is coming off. It is not possible to 'drop' a chain at the jockey wheel (assuming the chain is correctly routed through the rear derailleur). Is the problem you are referring to perhaps a skipping of the chain off the cassette cogs?
Worn jockey wheels (they become very pointy) will only affect shifting, they are not under any real load.
I won't ask you how old your drivetrain is, because this is irrelevant. How many kilometres has your drivetrain done? Has it bee maintained/cleaned regularly? I suspect it could just be a worn cassette, chain and chainwheels.

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt

Cheers
I had a a similar problem where the Jockey wheel was not spinning freely. The extra tension on the chain would make it jump. I replaced the Jockey wheel after much (tight arse) deliberation and problem solved.

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
The problem described can also happen if your chain is too long...not enough chain tension in the smaller chainwheels.

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
Had this problem with an XT drive train (1x9), only happen in two largest cogs on the cluster. Turned out for me that my chain line was the problem used a few spacers to shift the front ring across solved it.

The went to a 2x9 setup, problem resurfaced, put a short med cage derailleur instead of long cage on and this also solved it.

Worth also making sure your hanger is not bent and anything else obvious like that.

MARKL

Eats Squid
Personally with frensham, post a couple of pictures and you will get a better diagnosis.

LEX

Likes Dirt
That's what it looks like when it drops. The chain, cassette and chainrings are all pretty new. But I havnt changed the jockys wheels since I got it. But then again I don't ride heaps. image.jpg

MJS

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'd start by taking a couple of links off that chain, you could probably use more tension judging by that pic.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Have your derailleur alignment checked. A munted derailleur that's pointing at a different angle to the chainline will do that.

John U

MTB Precision
I had an xo carbon cage with a similar problem. Had trouble working out what it was. The back plate of the Carbon derailluer cage had cracked and would deform when I was going for a lower (larger) gear on the back. The chain would get stuck between the jockey wheel and the cage and when I pedalled would've folded the derailluer if I hadn't picked it up in time.

This would occur even though everything else was ok with my drivetrain.

It was caused by a bent derailleur hanger/way too much mud on my tyresWhich folded the derailleur in. When this occurred the derailleur appeared ok and was serviceable in most circumstances. It was a patch up job mid odyssey a was ok for the rest of the race.

To the op, check the back plate on your derailleur cage. I am guessing it might be fucked. I don't think carbon is the best material for dérailleur cages.