Juicy 3, 5 and 7's Discontinued.

england

Likes Bikes
Elixrs aren't too bad price wise. I run the Elixr R's and they retail at $230 an end where I work and the Elixr CR at $340 and end which is about the same as juicy 7's I think? (working off memory on the price of the juicy 7's, correct me if I'm wrong)

Shame that the juicy series is over all the same, my first set of decent hydraulics was a set of 3's.. still have them on the four cross bike

Wellsey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The reactions are justified too - every Avid Juicy product and spare has been removed from stock in both distributors and stores.
Soon a worldwide hand-in will be put in place for Juicy owners to give back their brakes, and you will now be forced to buy the most expensive model of either Elixr or Code depending on your riding style.

Such is the way of a product reaching the end of it's life.
It's allright mate, I got it.

kill_switch

Dead-set Idiot
PEOPLE, ITS ALRIGHT, YOU WILL STILL BE ABLE TO GET PADS.
even if avid do stop making them IN A FEW YEARS, other companys will continue to make them. Do not stress my children.:p

My question is why where the DH team riders using the juicy leavers (on elixer calipers) at on of the world cups this year? Dirt mag said it was to get better mondulation:confused: Isnt that what the elixers are for? Why would we want to get rid of the juicys when even the pros still think their better????

Rid3R13

Likes Dirt
Why would we want to get rid of the juicys when even the pros still think their better????

He make good Point, why would they get rid of the Juicy line? Its working so well, and the chances are that if it's your first set of hydro's, there gunna be 3's or 5's, just doesn't seem ethical to get rid of them.

glorystp

Banned
woooooooyaaaaaaay its a happy day i think juicys suck ive owned 2 sets and they suck, my XT's kill my old codes and juicys.

Rid3R13

Likes Dirt
Whats not ethical about discontinuing a product line?

everyone is reacting like the world is about to collapse
IMO i would have thought that the juicy line would have been doing very well for avid. Juicy is a pretty versatile brake and used on entry level XC/AM and DH? all the way up to a professional level i know its not the end of the world it's just something to think about, just my thoughts.

colourclassic

Likes Dirt
Eh, I sold my Juicy 3 a while ago and replaced it with the top model Elixir CR Carbon. I'm sure there will be an economy model Elixir to go on as OEM equipment. Hopefully prices will down.

miko

Likes Bikes and Dirt
God, every man and his dog has these brakes. There will be supplies and spares well into the foreseeable future, maybe start worrying in a couple of years.

Upgradeitis would have probably struck before then anyway.

Wellsey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
God, every man and his dog has these brakes. There will be supplies and spares well into the foreseeable future, maybe start worrying in a couple of years.

Upgradeitis would have probably struck before then anyway.
Agreed, as I said in another brake thread - You can still get pads for Hayes brakes from 2000 off the shelf at my LBS.

If you think of all the Juicy models combined, they would have to be the most common brake in the business, coming as standard fitment on 10x more bikes than any other brand.

You'll be able to get parts for them until you're old and grey.

Toxicity

one of those boys your mother warned you about
woooooooyaaaaaaay its a happy day i think juicys suck ive owned 2 sets and they suck, my XT's kill my old codes and juicys.

yes, and we all pay so much attention to your opinion displayed in quality posts :rolleyes:

Futile

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I am still getting my Juicy 3's on Sunday.
So I bloody hope they still do stock pads.
Other than that there will always be someone with spares laying around they are willing to sell.

brindog

Likes Dirt
Of course sram will still make pads for the Juicy's, I mean it's not like car companies stop making spares as soon as they stop production of that model, you will most likely be able to buy pads for another 10 years, but who's ganna be running the then anyway ??
So it's good bye Juicy Carbon's for my dream brakes. (I'm running them now, and they are sick !!) Hello Elixer CR's or what ever's the top of the line now.:eek:

Lube

Likes Dirt
My question is why where the DH team riders using the juicy leavers (on elixer calipers) at on of the world cups this year? Dirt mag said it was to get better mondulation:confused: Isnt that what the elixers are for? Why would we want to get rid of the juicys when even the pros still think their better????
The actual lever has very little, if anything to do with the modulation of the brakes. You will find that the actual modulation feel of your brakes has a lot more to do with the caliper (3 piston, 2 piston, brake pad compound and what not) and the reservoir/lever body design (Taper Bore) .

All the Juicy, Code and Elixer levers still run the same basic piston attachment, but the design, angles and throw of the actual lever changes with the type of brake, often to suit its purpose (ie. one finger braking, two finger braking, DH, XC, ect) The Taper Bore technology is so new and cutting edge, SRAM/Avid have actually had offers from F1 teams about purchasing the patent for use in their production brakes in the cars.

For all you little worry warts out there, Monza Imports and other importers/shops WILL NOT stop stocking pads, spares and service kits for these brakes just because they are being superseded. Well not at least for a long time anyway!

My three cents worth...

Tazed

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The actual lever has very little, if anything to do with the modulation of the brakes. You will find that the actual modulation feel of your brakes has a lot more to do with the caliper (3 piston, 2 piston, brake pad compound and what not) and the reservoir/lever body design (Taper Bore) .

All the Juicy, Code and Elixer levers still run the same basic piston attachment, but the design, angles and throw of the actual lever changes with the type of brake, often to suit its purpose (ie. one finger braking, two finger braking, DH, XC, ect) The Taper Bore technology is so new and cutting edge, SRAM/Avid have actually had offers from F1 teams about purchasing the patent for use in their production brakes in the cars.

For all you little worry warts out there, Monza Imports and other importers/shops WILL NOT stop stocking pads, spares and service kits for these brakes just because they are being superseded. Well not at least for a long time anyway!

My three cents worth...
He was right with Dirt's report of BlackBox riders using Juicy levers (equivalent to Ultimates) with Elixir calipers. It was reported as 'better' modulation. However, we never know what they're really up to, so I wouldn't read much into that.
As far as the other bit you mention "The Taper Bore technology is so new and cutting edge, SRAM/Avid have actually had offers from F1 teams about purchasing the patent for use in their production brakes in the cars", could you elaborate a bit? I can't see Carbon Industries, Brembo or Hitco, etc. needing bike brake technology in their products (even if TaperBore is clever), so I'd love to read more about it...
And, as has been repeated many times above, just because Juicy brakes are discontinued does not mean consumables (pads) and spares will suddenly vanish.
SRAM have always had good spares stocks and will continue to have so as long as they sell. They still want to make money out of their significant investment.
Let alone 3rp party suppliers taking up the slack.
Relax, you lot.

Last edited:

kill_switch

Dead-set Idiot
He was right with Dirt's report of BlackBox riders using Juicy levers (equivalent to Ultimates) with Elixir calipers. It was reported as 'better' modulation. However, we never know what they're really up to, so I wouldn't read much into that.
As far as the other bit you mention "The Taper Bore technology is so new and cutting edge, SRAM/Avid have actually had offers from F1 teams about purchasing the patent for use in their production brakes in the cars", could you elaborate a bit? I can't see Carbon Industries, Brembo or Hitco, etc. needing bike brake technology in their products (even if TaperBore is clever), so I'd love to read more about it...
And, as has been repeated many times above, just because Juicy brakes are discontinued does not mean consumables (pads) and spares will suddenly vanish.
SRAM have always had good spares stocks and will continue to have so as long as they sell. They still want to make money out of their significant investment.
Let alone 3rp party suppliers taking up the slack.
Relax, you lot.
Yer i guess you never know what the BB boys are up to. I just found it a little weird/stupid for the pros to be on a discontinued product when its new replacement is out. Even if they think its better they should be using the elixers to help market them.

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
WHHOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOO!
now no one has to ride this s***!
The fact that you've only just come to learn that Juicy's have been discontinued, and that i've seen kids in primary school write more substantial opinions, you'll understand why no one cares about a thing you say.

Or anything you'll write in the next 6 months for that matter.

Even if they think its better they should be using the elixers to help market them.
Rebranding is easy enough as well, the masses would not be able to tell the difference between an elixer and an elixer stickered juicy.