juicy 5's or shimano deor's?

chase1

Likes Dirt
i did a search but didn't find what i was after.

ik so after my brakes shit themselves at illinbah nats on the weekend i am after some new brakes.

at the moment i am looking at juicy 5's or shimano deor's.

the juicy's are about 50 bucks more. is it worth paying the extra money or will i be just as happy with the deor's?

they will be going on my dh hardtail.

if you have or had any of these brakes, what do you reckomend?

even better if you have say a pair of juicy's on one bike and a pair of deors on the other, which work better?

ohh and i have a tendency of bending rotors, so does one have stronger rotors than the other?

Trance_Kidd

Likes Dirt
With the deor's they have centure lock hubs, im not 100% if you can get them with standard disc mounts.

I have juicy 5's and never had a problem, i also like the fell of them more than shimano levers.

MK

cam.w

Likes Bikes
i have 07 juicy 5's on my hardtail (downhill and dirtjumping). I had troubles with the front set of pads so my front brake felt like arse (bike shop's fault, i think), then i brought new pads (easy as one, two three to install) and now they feel brilliant! My mate's brother uses deore and they feel almost as good, but i personally think mine feel better. Better levers in my opinion, more power, better modulation.

i went downhilling today on our national course and they were top notch. i'd get them again, or just go some sevens.

hope this helps.

Viv92

Eats Squid
I've got juicy's and they're very nice. I'm planning on upgrading to Formula K24's at some point but I don't think you're looking in that price range. Juicy's feel nice and are very reliable and well priced. Personally I like Shimano and Avid, can't go wrong with either.

bitterbro

Likes Dirt
In my opinion, i'de go the shimano. I've had both and i find that the juicy is either on or off, no in the middle, no lightly feathering it. It's force is good but it's too blunt

moosegoose

Likes Bikes and Dirt
ive had juicy 5's on my street/dj bike. they were sweet i liked them (just play with the adjustment screw thing inside the lever abit to get them feeling really good)

but ive just bought a shimano deore (havn't used it yet as i bought the wrong fittings for my cable)

but if you still havn't bought brakes ill let you know how they feel.

most people that have used shimano (that i have spoken to) say the mineral oil feels alot better etc and that they would rather deores over juicy 5's anyday. (thats why i bought them) but i can't comment until i ride them so yeah.

josho919

Likes Bikes
its hard because both brakes have there advantages and disadvantages for example juicy 5's are a sweet brake and feel really good and work awesome, bu then when it comes to bleeding them its a bitch but thats why u got a bike shop to do it for ya, but on the other hand shimano are really easy to main tain and also feel very good, there also easy to use and both are good brakes.
if riding xc i would go shimano, but for dh i would go the juicys
good luck on choosing which one you get

Jazza02

Likes Dirt
Mate i would spend the extra money and get the juicy's and get the get braided lined for extra stoping power.

frostbite

Likes Dirt
Ive got juicys on 7/8 inch rotors and I dont know why people say they have no modulation. You just gotta get used to them, then they're fine. They have pretty good bite but controlling them isnt hard. I like them a lot more than all the hayes brakes ive ridden in the past.

I havent ridden shimano hydros before, but a mate does on his XC bike and never heard a complaint.

However from my own experience with juicy 7s i can wholeheartedly recommend them.

redman

Squid
In my opinion, i'de go the shimano. I've had both and i find that the juicy is either on or off, no in the middle, no lightly feathering it. It's force is good but it's too blunt
I agree Shimano feel much better than 5's and if you were trail riding it would be the only choice, but if your planning to be downhilling on them than the 5's would probably be the way to go, just be ready for your face to be ripped off if you grab a fist full of brake.