Juicy 5's Question

wdshiver

Likes Dirt
Hey Guys,

I'm know you guys can help me out here so here's the question.

How do I make my Rear Juicy 5 More responsive and 'bitey'?

My front Disc is fine although my rear disc has never been as responsive. Could it be because I have a new rotor on it (its an Avid disc) I'm just curious whether it needs to be worn in or do I turn afew nobs.

Willis

t

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey Guys,

I'm know you guys can help me out here so here's the question.

How do I make my Rear Juicy 5 More responsive and 'bitey'?

My front Disc is fine although my rear disc has never been as responsive. Could it be because I have a new rotor on it (its an Avid disc) I'm just curious whether it needs to be worn in or do I turn afew nobs.

Willis
It might be a whole bunch of things; not worn in, mis-alignment, glazed pads, sticky pistons... etc.

Do they both feel the same at the lever or is the rear a bit spoungey?

is the rotor running straight through the middle of the caliper? (there is a part line on the caliper that it should line up with)

Do both pads contact the rotor at exactly the same time?

Does the rotor twist or flex a little when the brake is squesed?

PyletSnviper

Likes Dirt
if there rubbing.. but not BITING as you would like.. why not try different compund pads??... pyley has some mad ones on his demo.. i sware u jump oon them and they stop you in 1/2 the distance of the normal hayes ones... to the extent that you go through the travel on your forks when u jump on your breaks :eek:

Mo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
well everytime i give my bike a good clean down....somehow my brakes tend to just go "slidey"

what i do is:
take a realy long downhill stretch of road and burn all that crap off the pads and discs.

eventually it will work very nice....
it's probably just the disc really new and glazed.

jjperko

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Contaminated pads maybe? Sometimes if you are spraying your drivetrain a bit of the lubricant can get onto the rotor and contaminate your pads.

AndyDrew

Likes Bikes
Big hill + lots of brakes = reconditioned pads :D

Are they genuine Avid pads? 'Cos the latest batch of EBC's feel like shit on most braking systems. I am wondering if they have changed the compund or something... hmmm....

You could also try cleaning your rotor with a 'Disc Brake Cleaner' ... that often does wonders for 'bite'.