Juicy 7 Problem, Hydraulics completely failing??

Matt- D8

Likes Dirt
Hey Fellas, I am in need of a bit of help with my juicy 7s.

The issue is: my rear brake is suddenly loosening all levers feel and touching the bars, however this only happens occasionally, once this happens * obviously I have no braking force) then after it will regain pressure. The same thing happens if I flip the bike upside down (on the bars and seat). The front inset experiencing any of these issues. AND!! I have just recently blead the whole system, 2 times for both the back and front. Originally the lever feel felt deadly and continues to do so until this issue occurs. I checked the o rings on both 10mhex keys on both calliper and lever body.

I reckon there may be a slight pinch or whole on the brake line, however that doesn’t explain its random nature.

Anyway, help is always appreciated

Cheers Matt

:cool:

tom_burford_orr

Likes Dirt
Ok then. Still i was thinking that if there was something wrong they might have a better chance at figuring it out. Also they would have access to alot of spare parts.

H

>Henry

The same thing happens if I flip the bike upside down (on the bars and seat).
The brakes feel loose and unresponsive after the bike has been inverted because all the hydraulic fluid has drained out of the lines and calipers and into the reservoir near the lever, When this happens squeeze the lever repeditively untill the pressure comes back.

With the back brake feeling loose randomly at times it could be that you have air in your lines, although I believe if so it would have been fixed when you bled the brakes.

Henry,

mtb_punk

Likes Bikes
I had the exact same thing with my Juicy 5's (btw, brand new), I had the bike vertical, press the brake etc, then it would pretty much go to the bars too. Is it something wrong? Or is it normal? I'll be watching the outcome of this thread, glad i'm not the only one.

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
Yake them to your LBS and get a bleed. After that they should be sweet.
Sometimes the bike shop doesnt always provide the answers. Judging by the amount of knowledge Matt has displayed here, I think he has at least some clue on whats going down, which is more then I can say for many bike shop employees. In future man, try to contribute some thoughts before saying 'take it to your bike shop'. The point of making this thread is, ideally to avoid that and figure out the issue for himself.

Just curious Matt...were you using the legit Avid bleed kit or something you had whipped up yourself?

I had my rear caliper rebuilt recently and it seems to be suffering a similar issue in that inverted, it looses all pressure momentarily (when righted) untill pumped. My front brake, to my knowledge has never been bled and doesnt display this. Ultimatly, my guess is inconsistancies in the bleed, or at least the method of bleed. Otherwise, your assumptions of damaged lines might not be far wrong.

Matt- D8

Likes Dirt
Hey all, thanks again for the info, Regarding the type of bleed kit- I am using the factory Avid bleed kit, with all the "bells and whistles" attached. I probably shouldn't have emphasized the fact that the lever "dies" when the bike is inverted or on the bars/seat, for i realize why this happens. The main issue is that this same problem occurs when the bike is in full flight, doing what ever down the track, however this seems to happen more on say rock gardens etc and rough sections. I have checked both o rings on the caliper and the lever body and i haven't found any splits, saying this i also haven't found any Leaking oil any where....

Does anyone believe is could be the brake line/hose?

Cheers Matt
:cool:

Bacca

Likes Dirt
I think you should give all the brake components a very good scrub so that they're spotless. Once you've done this and they're dry get some white paper towel and wipe over the brake components whilst regularly checking the paper towel for any signs of fluid leak, it may also help to pump the lever whilst wiping.

VTSS350

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If any of the seels are worn it will let air into the system.

Both bleed screws have a rubber O-ring. If you tighten them too much you can stuff the seel.

How many times have you blead the brakes. When you bleed them do you always get air from them? If so you need to work out how the air is getting into the system.

Matt- D8

Likes Dirt
If any of the seels are worn it will let air into the system.

Both bleed screws have a rubber O-ring. If you tighten them too much you can stuff the seel.

How many times have you blead the brakes. When you bleed them do you always get air from them? If so you need to work out how the air is getting into the system.
Thats interesting, i will check the tension of the two o rings. Plus the system works perfectly ( as if there wasent a problem to be found- strong lever feel, power etc etc) however this issue randomly occurs. The only reason i bleed my brakes twice is so every bit air is removed. saying this it seems to be blead well, however this issue occurs randomly.

so overall its really hard to figure out what exactly causing this problem.

I went for a ride today and there was slight trouble, but nothing severe.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
keep the info flowing