Junior Road bike query

RB 24

Likes Dirt
Hi everyone.

I have two boys that are interested in getting into road cycling and I have some questions about sizing and so forth.

They both currently race bmx and their race bikes are the following in geometry:

LDC EXPERT
TOP TUBE LENGTH: 19 in
CHAIN STAY LENGTH: 12.75 – 14.75 in
HEAD TUBE ANGLE: 72 degrees
HEAD TUBE: 1 in
BOTTOM BRACKET HEIGHT: 11 in
BOTTOM BRACKET LENGTH: 68mm
SEAT TUBE ANGLE: 71 degrees
SEAT TUBE I.D.: 22.2mm

Crupi Expert:
Top Tube Length: 19.5"
Rider Area: 20.06"
Down Tube Length: 19.5"
Head Angle: 72 degree
Head Tube Size: 1"
Seat Tube Angle: 66 degree
Seat Tube Size: 22.2mm

so am I right in thinking a 24" wheel ( the boys race cruiser also so they are used to a 24" wheel size) and one boy is 143cm tall and the other 151cm tall.

so any advice in sizing and brands and then any that any knows are for sale would be truly appreciated.

thanks in advance.

RB

Seat Clamp Size: 25.4 (or 1")

BB Height: 11"

Min Rear Length: 12.5"

Max Rear Length: 14"

Wheels designed for: 20 x 1-1/8" or 20 x 1-3/8"

Frame Weight: 2 lbs, 10 oz's

That guy

Likes Bikes
Also, have a look at smaller 650C wheeled road bikes. These are just smaller versions of the normal 700C bikes and have similar spec. The fuji Ace is the only example i can think of at the moment.

joemax

Likes Dirt
There are always a few second hand junior bikes on eBay and through the cycling clubs. Kids grow out of bikes quickly and you'll often find someone with an older kid willing to help you. I bought my then 12 year old a beautiful steel framed 48 cm bike for $800 and sold it 2 years later when he'd grown out of it for $650.

For juniors you also have to meet the roll-out restrictions which means you must lock out the higher gears based on you kids age groups. Details will be somewhere on the Cycling Australia web site.

Hillbrick have some very nice junior bikes.

Last edited:

C Dunlop

Likes Dirt
junior gearing restrictions are where dad's technical nouse comes in. Shimano do (or did do) junior cassettes in 16-26t size. Many juniors run a single chainring. Some use bbb or mavic cassettes which alloy you to pick ratios. Others just lock out the lowest gears in the cog, lock out the big ring. Plenty of solutions.