Just dont get road bikes for commuting

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Not all commutes are created equally IMO.
I take the big fellas point though that road bikes do not provide a very defensive riding position, and are fairly limiting when the tarmac gets rough or runs out as it frequently does on the left metre of road. The more upright position on a MTB makes it easier to turn and see what's going on around you.
I presently do most of my commuting on a MTB with slicks but I have short distances to commute, whilst 6 months ago I was commuting over 50 km per day so a roadie was better suited to the task.

I still wear lycra though under my shorts or my bits wont last a week.
i always have padding on my bits. i know a guy who rides off road commando - just cant imagine the pain and discomfort

thank you Hugor - you made sense of my ramble

wombat

Lives in a hole
Tyres - so bloody skinny and puncture so easily especially after rain and they are certainly not strong enough for the odd gutter drops or jumps and pot holes.
Definately not my experience. My SS runs a cheapy Token wheelset that comes in at around 1500g, wrapped in Ultremo ZX, and I've got not qualms about hopping it up and down gutters, never had any flats from that either, and I've only ever trued the wheels once.
I'll admit that braking performance in the wet is pretty rubbish, but in the dry I reckon I can stop as fast on the roadie as on the MTB. Tyres have plenty of grip, and the brakes have enough power to throw me over the bars with two fingers, I'd just have to see how far back I could get my weight.

Sounds like some of your problems are down to the way the bike's setup. If you never ride in the drops, then maybe the bar position/shape just isn't working for you?

I find the roadie to be much more comfortable on the road, and safer handling too. I find on the mtb it's harder to get weight over the front end, and big fat mtb tyres, even slick versions don't give me much confidence when cornering. Definately much happier descending with drop bars than I was when I had risers on the SS.

Then again, my commute is pretty simple, and I try not to carry too much gear with me. Horses for courses.

Norco Maniac

Is back!
i always have padding on my bits. i know a guy who rides off road commando - just cant imagine the pain and discomfort

thank you Hugor - you made sense of my ramble
i never understood split saddles till i started doing regular k's on the road rather than just racing the bmx. love love love my Selle Italia Ldy :) drop bars are also out for me as an old neck compression injury restricts how much flexion i have.

just recently made the foray into lycra for my commute - an op shop special bright orange jersey. the back pockets are handy and the colour gives the local bogan Commodore drivers something to aim at.

chrisp2087

Likes Dirt
Mtb commuter for me, slick tyres on a HT, I've tried on the roadie and I just don't enjoy it as much. I like that it's faster and the position is better for speed.

The MTB though, I feel like I've got better peripheral vision, can unclip quicker, can handle the bike with one hand better, can handle a bit of grass or dirt plus for some reason climbing onto it after work doesn't seem to hurt as much.

Then again my commute is into the Sydney CBD, akin to throwing the Christians to the Lions at times, that part is not fun in any way shape or form.

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
CX bike to commute for me :)
Road bike on the bike paths is rather uncomfortable and I don't want to wear out the knobby tyres on the mtb .....

al_

Likes Dirt
My version of the ultimate commuter is up for sale here - sadly it was too small, but I'm sure somebody will get some use from it.

The Pomp ticks all the boxes for me as it is tough, looks nice, isn't heavy, has clearance for fat tyres and runs discs. Sadly this frame was an impulse buy and isn't anything like big enough.

I definately think that the CX style bikes make the most sense for everyday use. My current bike is great, but tight clearances and road brakes are far from ideal.

Johnacles

Likes Bikes
I've commuted on my singlespeed roadie for ages, and recently I've taken to riding the MTB the commute, and I have to say I do have a lot more fun. Popping the front for kerbs, hopping speed humps in front of cars, cutting through dirt roads in parks and sometimes riding through puddles on wet days just for shits and gigs, but I can't argue that the roadie with skinny little drop bars is much more efficient climbing and descending and also means I can duck and weave through cars with more speed and confidence than on my MTB shod with 700s.

JoelFitz

Likes Dirt
This thread is very relevant for me at the moment!
My old house/job/commute was a 12km ride each way with a mixture of MTB riding, fire trails and some road.. So I used my 26" dually and never thought about a road bike..

I've now relocated to Bris area, and my house to work is 31km of mainly road riding.. Though it seems I can mix it up with a bit of off road stuff as I find more of it.

But racking up all those km's on my MTB, just dunno.. I am wearing my tires down quickly and could get some more road orientated ones but then have to swap em out each weekend when I want to hit the trails.

So I keep looking at the flat bar type road bike. But that takes away the options I've found for a bit of off road fun along the commute.

In truth though I really want to do the ride as quick as possible to get home to the kids. So it's mainly about how quick I can do those 31km's especially on the way home.

Any advice? Keep the commute going on the MTB? Get a flat bar cheap road bike? Or something inbetween, giant seek maybe?

Thanks
Joel

camzh

Likes Dirt
I bought one of the Cell fixies a while ago, and now that I'm close to work (~4km each way) it gets used the most.
Seeing as it was cheap, I have no concerns about bouncing it up and down kerbs.
Seems most people don't do this on 700c ?
why is that ?
scared of ruining wheels ?

I used to ride a ridgid HT MTB with slicks (when it was 13km each way), its still a good bike, but the fixie is so much faster.

JoelFitz

Likes Dirt
I've never ridden a fixie.. But seems I need to.. I got some decent hills though so not sure how i'd go with that?

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
I am also considering a singlepeed / flipfolp fixie for commuting.
This morning bucketing rain and I jut out all new gear cabkes on the roadie and re greased the headset and cleaned the drivetrain last night and really didn't want to get it all muuddy on the first ride.
If I had a SS I would have commuted today.

Turns out there is also a vleodrome 100 meters from my hyouse too. Who'd'a thunk it.
So I can go and practice my turning left as well.

camzh

Likes Dirt
I normally run mine on the freewheel side, when riding in traffic its just a bit safer for me.

As for climbing hills on it, just stand up and grind !

Big JD

Wheel size expert
I picked up some old Shimano brake levers (short pull - wacked on a carbon riser bar and it is so much better - brakes are better and no drops/hoods to deal with. Will post a picture soon SS steel road bike with Phil Wood Hubs and Conti tyres - this thing is a rocket.

Hugor

Likes Dirt
I commute between 100 - 150km per week ATM.

This is my commuter.
It looks shit so it doesn't attract attention from dodgy types when its chained up in dodgy places.
Basket keeps my heavy bags off my back.
Tri pouch on the top tube for my phone and sometimes my light battery.
2 inch slicks (Schwalbe Big Apple) cause many commuter paths and verges are rougher than singletrack round here!
3 inch front fork with remote lockout for standing climbs.
Relatively high handlebar position for an upright posture which makes it easier to read traffic and other random commuter obstacles (dogs, people, etc).

If you're carrying a heavy bag the bike can be quite off balanced with tight or fast cornering.

Commuting by bike is tops IMO. Even if I'm having a lazy week I can guarantee on my 150km commute to keep the belly at bay!
After a crap day at work its much nicer cruising along a riverside bike path than swearing at shit drivers in traffic.

Salsa Commuter.jpg

antigee

Likes Bikes
Seeing as it was cheap, I have no concerns about bouncing it up and down kerbs.
Seems most people don't do this on 700c ?
why is that ?
scared of ruining wheels ?
CX here and problem with bumping kerbs is that if you don't get it right and you're not at max tyre pressure you get a pinch puncture (snakebite)

if you mean bunnyhopping kerb then it is harder think because wheelbase is longer and I don't have the skills (but can jump the back then the front trials style ) - anyway if riding legally no need to bump kerbs?

biggest downside for me about riding on hoods or drops is that riding with a rucsac isn't as comfy as more upright

Binaural

Eats Squid
Commuted for about 7 years on a roadified MTB before I got a nice roadie when my commute stretched out to 20km. Must say that I like the roadie better, it just feels long and low and fast, and the hand position etc does not bother me. Would happily rock the MTB again if I were commuting into the city or something rather than from the inner to the perimeter. Plus it's more fun when I go for a longish detour ride on the way home in summer....

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
After a crap day at work its much nicer cruising along a riverside bike path than swearing at shit drivers in traffic.
Ain't that the truth!

Alternatively, if it's been a good day, why ruin it by getting stuck in traffic at the end of it?

flamin'trek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Interesting reading, I was in the slick tyres MTB camp for a while for commuting, first on a dually then on a hard tail. I is more fun with MTB, but when I got my roadie I realised it is so much quicker. I can average an extra 3km/h on the roadie and when commuting has to be quicker it is the best option. My current roadie is an old hi-tensile steel with down tube shifters, if I had a flash carbon jobbie I could probably shave a few extra seconds too, but I'm not spending too much on a roadie just for commuting.

Having said that now have the option of a quick commute on roadie, a fixie commute for fun or wet weather and an MTB for detour commutes involving 'proper' riding (off road).

Last edited: