just got my first DH bike

fatnslow

Likes Bikes
just picked up a 2006 Kona Stab Deluxe in mint condition.

Can anyone suggest if anything needs doing to them?

I am looking at wrapping old tubes around the forks, anything else to protect it?

BTW this is my first post on Farkin.. yehah

PEELER

Banned
Welcome too farkin man!!!:D
Try putting some 3m clear contact on the frame;)that stuffs awsome:D
An couple of old tubes on the forks would work great but in my opinion it looks a bit dodgy.

benni

Banned
id put some 3m tape on the cranks, forks, frame (mostly where cable rub will happen) and a tube or two on the chainstay! i wouldnt bother putting tubes on the forks just the 3m tape maybe :) ps NICE first dh bike!!

fatnslow

Likes Bikes
thanks guys, I will track down some 3M.

Yep I am pleased with it as a first DHer

I also have a Marin Hardtail and a 04 GT idrive.

Gunna SS the Marin and update the GT for a better XC..

had to get rid of a trail bike to fund the Kona so I am going to make sure I get my moneys woth out of it.:D

pistol

Likes Dirt
if you have trouble tracking down the 3m tape check out your local motor bike store they should have it or will know what your talking about !

luke.b

Formerly DH Maniac
A roll of similar stuff is available from most moto shops for around $20 for a massive roll. Some places have it in A4 sheete. I say the roll. Better value. A roll will do a few bikes, depending on where you put it.

luke.b

Formerly DH Maniac
Oh, and your gonna want to put old tudes around your chain stay, and the seat stay and linkage that could almost possibly get touched by the chain when it jumps. Cos believe me, on a dually, they jump a fait bit, and knock everything around.

Also, don't forget the brake lines. Hydro cables are a little more abrasive than normal lines. Have fun with it mate. If you do some shuttling, put a small old tube over the non-drive side crank, as a sort of sock to protect it from shuttles.

Hope I helped.

benni

Banned
thanks, usulay the trailers we use just have tire holder things, no crank ones. good idea but with the tube

DWN-HLR

Banned
just picked up a 2006 Kona Stab Deluxe in mint condition.

Can anyone suggest if anything needs doing to them?

I am looking at wrapping old tubes around the forks, anything else to protect it?

BTW this is my first post on Farkin.. yehah

that is a really nice first bike

my first was a gary fisher opie haha

as previously mentioned

3mm tape

old tubes on the chain stays

dwnhil4thewin

Likes Dirt
hey mate, ive got an 06 stab deluxe and i love it. the only thing ive done to it so far is wrapping heaps of tube around the chain stay because the bottom of it gets slapped heaps with the chain. the only problem ive had with it is the chain guide, where ive had the chain locking up inside and tearing straight out of it which has completely shredded my chain ring. thats pretty much the only thing i'd change at he moment.

AK-bighit

Likes Dirt
HAha i wish i knew about all this before, I would of used the clear contact beause i have sooooo manyyyy chips from rocks flying up.
Oh well nothing abit of touch up paint cant do.