Kangaroo Valley DH??

dandan

Likes Bikes
Hi,

Does anybody know anything about the so called "Cannonball Run" dh track located in Kangaroo Valley (apparently in Morton National Park). Can't really find much information on it except some company does guided mtb tours there. Is it a public track? Vehicle access? Which MTB club would cover this area? I'm heading that way in a month or so and was wondering whether or not its worth while to take my DH bike with me...

I'm taking my XC bike so any other information on good tracks in the area would also be good!

Thanks
Dan.

SANGER

Likes Dirt
Best bet would be to get in contact with SCUM (www.scum.asn.au) and post up on the forum. There are plenty og good xc tracks around the nowra area and an awsome dh track at wandandian so bring both bikes.

Nub

Banned
I've been there (spent 6 months there actually) and its a pretty good run. It is an extremely large push, this would probably make it not worth it, and no, its not shuttlable that I know of.

SANGER

Likes Dirt
Yea mate the funnel web at wandy is shuttle friendly. It takes about 10 mins to get back to the top. Just need to make sure that the shuttle vehicle has plenty of ground clearance.

EzyLee

Likes Dirt
The cannonball / McPhails Trail is a good ride, I did it on my stumpjumper which is probably the ideal bike as the ride in from the gate is about 3kms of flat before it starts pointing down. There is also an uphill pinch in the middle of it.

I have some pics of the trail if you would like me to throw them up to give you an idea? I could also do a google earth of the place to show you where the entry / exit point is.

mr636

Likes Bikes and Dirt
it can sort of be shuttled, but its a fair pedal in from the fireroad.
i did it with the "tour" company, and was fairly unimpressed.
there was trees down all over the track, that we wernt warned about. whilst it was dangerous, it also farked the flow completely. and then there is that massive uphill section........

also, if you do it, watch out the first time down the steep fire trail with the water bars. we boosted this water bar, only to find an un barriered hair pin- WITH A CLIFF OFF THE EDGE!

you then have to pedal out, unless a car meets you at the bottom.

if your in the area its ok, but i wouldnt go on a mission to specifically ride it.

mtbcoxxy

Likes Bikes
Unreal

I dont know about you guys but the pics look unreal. Would be interested for more information re start finish etc as i often go down to south to visit friends. Maybe even a google earth map as previously stated would be unreal showing points of interest

struggles

Likes Dirt
I used to ride it all the time.

Its about 15kms from top of Barrengarry Mtn into Kangaroo Valley.

The one hill is step but not too bad to ride up. Just watch out for cranky Sydney Water staff who think you can't ride there.

If you do ride back into Kangaroo Valley there is a fun downhill on the tar.

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=N7kjRwbD90o

EzyLee

Likes Dirt
Okay, here is a map.

[/IMG]
The Start point has no signage, it is just a gate... Go over the gate and follow the fire trail, it will eventually start heading downhill then get to a point where you see a sign for McPhails trail... Turn down on to the trail.

Basically all you need to do is follow this trail, you will also come across another sign which I found pretty cool.

Now all you need to do is follow the trail and you you will come out at the tarmac road at the end where you can organise to be picked up, or take a bit of a ride in to town from here.

As mentioned before, be VERY careful of those hairpins on your first ride, they do creep up and if you get it wrong, you will be going down a steep drop.

Just found this map! Has the fire trail logged in.
http://maps.google.com/?ll=-34.67827,150.488491&spn=0.003688,0.007317&t=h

Hope this helps!

Enjoy!

Last edited:

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
Be careful of the unexpected hiker walking up.

Just a couple cautionary notes:
Its a shared access track ... so be careful of hikers coming up hill. Be nice, as there is a bit of history to this track re access.

Also, one of the land owners gets a little cranky when there are too many cars and loud noise at the last section. near the pickup point

So keep the noise and whoopees down when getting near the houses. (especially down the last straight).

re: equipment, you don't need a DH rig as its fire trail with Waterbar action. a couple of sections which are kinda chopped up a little (braking bumps and the such) but most of the rest is fairly smooth.

Really has 4 sections
- Flat-ish fire trail at the start
- Down into rain forest like section with some minor downs and some bigger ups (I think that is where the log stack is taken from ??)
- Into the hill, which I usually walk ... and finally
- the last downhill fire trail and water bar bumpage.

I like the main track ... nice and fast and the water bars make it interesting.

There is also another DH track off right from the bottom of the pick up (a bit of a drive 10mins maybe ... it has a longer off road (fire trail) shuttle ... longer flat section of pedalling at the start too, for a shorter run (Note: watch for the wire across the exit) ... but well worth a couple runs once your tired of the main trail.

Not sure if this one is still legit ... may want to ask some of the locals ?

Well worth the visit thumbs up

Note: I haven't ridden there in about 3 years ... so things may have changed *shrugs

You have to drive up barrengarry, and if you're not careful you will miss the drop off point. Best to find someone who has ridden before to go with. Brilliant track to ride though. And for some celeb power, this is the track which got Shaun O'Connor(2nd at 2010 National DH) started in DH.

red

Likes Dirt
Yea mate the funnel web at wandy is shuttle friendly. It takes about 10 mins to get back to the top. Just need to make sure that the shuttle vehicle has plenty of ground clearance.
10 mins my dad dose it in 4 or 5mins