Keeping on Flat Pedals

richie_gt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
+1 on this combo.

Im pretty new to trail riding so have been slowly working on technique

As mentioned, bent knees and dropped heels is great advice.

I found decent shoes made a very noticeable difference, went from Teva Links to Fiveten Freeriders, wish i had spent the cash on the shoes sooner!

Extra grip instilled great confidence, specially for me when getting air over lips and ramps.
I agree the grip helps confidence, but it's also technique 'staying on the pedals'.

Looks like I'mma have to get me some of those Five Tens then, because my worn-out $40 Target runners are slipping all over my washerless Saint pedals.
I have two pairs of 510's, the older style the the same sole all over (the round bits of rubber) and the newer style with the smooth part where the pedal is meant to go. Both solid shoes, my older pair saved my feet a couple of times when I've come off the pedals! At the moment I'm using them working on my house!

Only comment I can make is sometimes the older style shoes get caught up on the pedal pins when you put your foot down in the wrong position, I've had a couple of hairy moments riding downhill with my foot in the wrong position until I get a chance to lift off and move it back into position. The newer style shoe with the flat section allows you to move your foot a bit more without lifting off (compared to the old shoes).

Older style shoes I paid about $120 for, newer style I paid about $40 for on a Pushys sale, they're a horrible red colour and look like clown shoes but who cares!

Well thanks for all that info. I'll be sure to consider getting some Five Tens. By the way, I'm riding a 100mm hardtail on some enduro stuff pretty fast I reckon (that's only my opinion though :twitch: ). Any other advice other than buying stuff to help? I want to improve without dishing out money, otherwise I'll just buy a 160mm bike. I'll try heels down and muscling the bike around more.

Regards,
the_muffin_man

Last edited:

stewyh

Likes Dirt
Am I the only one that finds 5:10 to be a narrow fit? I've found with the few pairs I've had that they are snug across my foot..
Yep. Literally couldn't fit into them even when trying a size too large. Way too tight across the top. I have real high arches though, managed to fit into some shimano saints & they grippy as.

stirk

Burner
Yep. Literally couldn't fit into them even when trying a size too large. Way too tight across the top. I have real high arches though, managed to fit into some shimano saints & they grippy as.
High arches here too, the width and length of the Impacts in my size was fine but the top is too tight and puffy and restricts the blood flow in my foot. I like a loose fit.

jamesb888

Likes Bikes
Sometime if you get a build up of compacted mud around the pins on the pedals can make the pins into a pyramid shape and you can lose a lot of grip. Getting in there around the pins with a bit of wire or even a stick on the trail and cleaning the dirt off the Pins will make a world of difference and only take a minute or two

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Pretty much what everyone else has said. You could drop your saddle slightly and make sure you are placing your foot further forward than you would on spd etc drop your heals or wedge your feet by dropping your heel on the leading foot and pointing your trailing foot down slightly. A good tip I read is to have heavy feet, light hands.

Tubeless

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Well thanks for all that info. I'll be sure to consider getting some Five Tens. By the way, I'm riding a 100mm hardtail on some enduro stuff pretty fast I reckon (that's only my opinion though :twitch: ). Any other advice other than buying stuff to help? I want to improve without dishing out money, otherwise I'll just buy a 160mm bike. I'll try heels down and muscling the bike around more.

Regards,
the_muffin_man
Ride smoother...you'll be surprised.
Soften your legs so you and the bike float more. Left the bike "bump" up under you as you float over the chunder, rather than driving into it with stiff legs.
This^

Stand up n sit down on the pedals and feel the full range of movement you have with your legs. The more your legs extend and retract with the bike/trail, the more constant pressure you're able to apply to the pedals.