Kelly McGarry - Ride in Peace

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Doesnt look like the case unfortunately. Lots of tributes popping up on fb. Everyone is saying cardiac arrest, but also reported as a result of a crash.
Could be like the EWS death at Whistler where the guy hit a tree at speed and suffered major trauma resulting in cardiac arrest.
Either way, doesn't really seem fair.

Ride on Kelly...
Being widely reported was a medical event, not result of crash.

Very sad either way

oriion

Likes Dirt
thought are with friends, family and fans. Such a sad loss, but at least he went out doing what he loved. RIP mate.

Beej1

Could be like the EWS death at Whistler where the guy hit a tree at speed and suffered major trauma resulting in cardiac arrest.
A guy died at the Crested Butte (Colorado) round of the EWS last year. Apparently suffered major blunt force trauma to the chest, but nobody actually saw it happen - another rider found him. I think that might be what you're talking about? (link)

Very sad to hear about Kelly McGarry, no matter the circumstances. A great rider, and by all accounts a great guy.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
I've spent some time with McGazza, he is an amazing character and stoked on life. This is a terrible day for his family and friends and all of us that get on a mountain bike. We've all lost one of our own and the hills won't be the same without the big fella.
So sad, so unbelievable. Ride in peace bru.

loc81

Likes Dirt
As others have said, the fact he's gone is terrible regardless of cause of death, but I'd still like to read (besides these "I heard" posts) some confirmation of whether it was a crash or straight up medical issue.
Such a versatile and talented rider- classic kiwi talent!

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
Wow, bummer. At least he died outside riding his bike and not in some shitty office cubicle. Ride in Peace Kelly.

T.3

Likes Dirt
I think a mark of the guy is that everyone is saying with his passing the same thing they said during his life, a down to earth, approachable, nice guy who absolutely ripped. No need to posthumously put on the rose coloured glasses with this guy. Thanks for showing us how to ride and how to live Kelly.

MARKL

Eats Squid
Absolutely tragic, seemed like such a nice chilled dude. The canyon gap backflip at Rampage 2013 was one of the most awesome things I have ever seen done on a bike, truly one one of the great runs.

RIP Kelly