Kensington Jumps

Funky Frypan

Likes Dirt
I'll be coming down everyday once exams are fucking finished!! Actually I should be able to come down mondays, wednesdays and fridays after tomorroww.

Funky Frypan

Likes Dirt
Another meeting with the council should be coming up hopefully sometime in the first few weeks of the school holidays. Anyone going away if so when?

Also due to a nice 45mm worth of rain last night, the dirt will be nastier then Saffa's 'faces' vid. Hopefully wet enough for a bit of a reconstruction attempt.

WynterPlace

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Let me know when you plan to have the meeting, we should come up with a decent proposal, rather than just rocking up and throwing ideas at them.

My thoughts are;

Stage 1: tidy up the lips and berms of the existing track, possibly resurface the track too.

Stage 2: Build a pump track in the bottom corner.

Stage 4: Build a decent size jump line.

That way they can see a plan for a progressive upgrade, starting with a low outlay of funds to clean up existing elements, then building to the more expensive additions.

I think the council will be more accommodating knowing that they don't have to front heaps of cash immediately. It will give them a chance to see the track being used more, and then they may justify the additional expenses.

Saffa

Likes Dirt
Agreed
I have written up some ideas for a similar proposal and would be keen to meet with all parties concerned prior to the council meet, so as to finalize our proposed plans. It would be good to give them a profesional looking plan on the day, rather than mixed messages.

Anyone going for a ride this arvo, I will be there around 5:30, might bring a spade?

Funky Frypan

Likes Dirt
Sounds good to me!

I think the gradual steps (eg. firstly tidying everything up and then lastly constructing larger jumps) is a very good idea and I'm sure the council will be more likely to go with something like that, rather than trying to meet every demand we throw at them.

Well hopefully the bloke who is now "running the project" (from the Recreation Services Team) will get back to me shortly with an idea of timelines and such. Saffa's idea of giving in a secured, agreed upon preposal is good and I'll certainly be down around 5 30 with a broom for a chat and a bit of a dig. I'll bring a broom and a shovel if I can find one!

WynterPlace

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey guys, I didn't make it today... still healing after the Yackandandah race.

When do you want to meet up to layout a plan?

Funky Frypan

Likes Dirt
Alright, its the holidays! Anyone taking time off work? When's our next ride going to be!

Also dueto the council being pricks (I guess it can be excused its the end of the year). Can everyone send emails to Rob!

WynterPlace

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I finish work this Friday, so am keen for a couple of sessions next week before I head off for xmas.

I'm also keen for a DH session or two if anyone wants to hit up Youies?

SouthYarraSage

Likes Dirt
Also dueto the council being pricks...
Hmmm, not exactly sure that's an attitude you'd want to foster...

Can't speak for the guys you're dealing with obviously, but Stonnington have been great re. the fix-up of Windsor. Very helpful with providing dirt, bobcat etc. and genuinely stoked that the place was being given some love.

Saffa

Likes Dirt
We have been dealing with Melbourne City council, who so far have been really good about the whole proposal. But since no one can get a response out of them about our next meeting, we assume that they are all tied down with end of year stuff and will get back to us when they have the time. I think that is what Jack was trying to say.

Funky Frypan

Likes Dirt
yewp

JJ Holland Park BMX track

The City of Melbourne is investigating improving the BMX track design at JJ Holland Park. Residents and community groups are invited to give their suggestions for improvements. Consultation meetings will be held on Tuesday 16 March at the Kensington Community Recreation Centre, corner of Kensington and Altona roads, at the following times:

5pm – BMX riders’ meeting to discuss track design

6pm – General community information session (BMX riders, please attend 5pm session).

Riders can send their design suggestions for consideration prior to the meeting to: hollandparkbmx@melbourne.vic.gov.au

Dale Stewart | Senior Recreation Planner | Recreation Services Branch

Saffa

Likes Dirt
Sweet, thats great news, only 50 e-mails latter! How about we all meet up soon and discuss track design e.t.c. and try and come to some consensis?

Funky Frypan

Likes Dirt
Guys??????

I'm thinking of printing out a few posters to stick up around the place. The council member did say something about there being some publication in a few local papers. We need to get as many people there to support as possible!!!

Funky Frypan

Likes Dirt
Cheers matt! We all need to meet up soon to discuss track design etc (as saffa said), and get a nice looking plan to bring along. We have a month tomorrow!

So I'm thinking trying to meet sometime at the end of this month? I'm free 4pm onwards week days and can be free all day on weekends, but I know you guys have work (haha). So hit us up with a time that suits yall.

Saffa

Likes Dirt
Hey Matt How r things?
Just a few thaughts,
I definitely think a pump track needs to go in the far corner

I too have been thinking of putting some more orthadox sets in, but have been playing around with the Idea of encorperating as much of the current track as possible so as to limmit enitial costs(with at a later stage a full reconstruction)
Reworking and using the existing start ramp will help to limmit the amount of earth needing to be moved also using the natural slope of the plot to get a run in
Also bearing in mind there is usually a cross wind from north to south I think that the sets should face north.

The idea of a sort of a BMX/4X race training track I think would be a good addition if we could accomodate it.

1st demolish the existing set of three jumps, and replace them with two sets of 3 one easy one difficult. with chanelling berms at the end

2. reshape the start ramp and raise its height by 1/2 a meter or so to get better speed into the jumps without pedaling your bum off.

3. Rework the current berms and reduce their size so as to carry more speed(I have been playing around with the first one and even with minor work you carry enough speed to clear the first jump and carry speed into the next corner). adding a large pump before and after the second berm would also help

4.After the second berm create a set of large rollers that could be pumped or trippled

5. shrink the size of the third berm and move it back slightly, add a step up speed jump shortly after and a straight table to finnish.(change the angle of the straight so as to eliminate the risk of crashing into the trees.

6 in the process resurface the straights

7 build a sweet pump track of some sort in the corner were all the trees are

Either way we should catch up at south ken and chat about possibillities

Any Thaughts thanks for listening
P.s. sorry For the crappy paint pick I just eddited Matts as my cpu skills are not great

Attachments