Kentlyn - Backburning

Newts

Likes Dirt
Just heard on the wireless that the Rural fire service will be backburning Minto Heights, Kentlyn and Wedderburn starting this week. They would have done it anyway...The rains made it a few weeks earlier.

The bad side....Track destruction ie Shorty's shore line
The good side....finding new lines.

Remember to be nice to them, they could tell council about the tracks and have it pulled down.

CraigS

Likes Dirt
Do you know if they are actually burning near the tracks or is it just Kentlyn in general???
Surely for guys who are all for us building and riding as we have spoken to them previously they wouldn't intentionally damage the shore lines:eek:

Newts

Likes Dirt
not to sure. I just stated that they are going to start in the next week or two.
When we saw the firies out the the other month, you would think that they would leave it alone. Maybe contact them to see if they are buring around lines or not.
If they are, hope that it is on a still day and they can control the fires. Ask if they need any help cerating new lines after the burn for easier access to the bush next summer.

Last edited:

Newts

Likes Dirt
I had a quick look in BLaxland rd bike shop.....someone broke in and took all the freeride/DH bikes last week.

Comic Book Guy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just heard on the wireless that the Rural fire service will be backburning Minto Heights, Kentlyn and Wedderburn starting this week. They would have done it anyway...The rains made it a few weeks earlier.

The bad side....Track destruction ie Shorty's shore line
The good side....finding new lines.

Remember to be nice to them, they could tell council about the tracks and have it pulled down.
Seems a bit early in the season for backburning.:confused: Thanks for the heads-up. Will keep my eyes open. If I see any RFS when I am out riding I'll check if they can give an update on what and when.

In the past they have tended to burn sections of an area at a time, so hopefully if anything gets burnt it may only be a part of the woodwork out there not the whole lot.

Don't get too worried about council. I was speaking to some people and council apparently know of the "secret mtb business" (maybe not all of it) in the area but they can't do anything as it is not their land. Same as with the shore stuff over the other area. Nearly all the non-private land around this area is owned by the State govt, very little is council.

Thanks for the info,
CBG.

JP

Likes Dirt
Just heard on the wireless that the Rural fire service will be backburning

Sorry for thread hijack but it's actually hazard reduction. Back burning is when you are at a bush fire and burn ground to prevent fire spread.

Now back to your regular programming. :)